Kawasaki ZX-10R and BMW S1000RR - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kawasaki ZX-10R and BMW S1000RR

I'm curious how many have either owned a 2011 or newer ZX-10R, currently own one, or traded/sold one to buy your S1000RR. I rode a 2011 model quite a lot prior to buying my 2012 S1000 and recently swapped bikes for a good stretch of road with a riding buddy that rides a 2011 10R. I came away very impressed with the bikes excellent ergonomics, light steering at turn in, smooth engine with 0 vibrations at any speed and overall found it friendly, easy to ride and acclimate to.

Interesting thing is my buddy gave equal praise to the S1000RR. Again having ridden a 10R but never had the chance to ride them back to back on a nice stretch of twisty roads, I left very impressed witht the bike to the point I'd like to add one to the stable. Having owned other Kawasaki's, and currently a 2012 ZX-14R may have something to do with the bond I felt with the bike. If the 10 had a quick shifter and heated grips, (yep gotten spoiled with them), almost feels like a coin toss. Best part of the 10R was the smooth delivery of power with no vibrations from stop to redline.

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"

Last edited by Jagman; 12-03-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Jagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Urban Legend (member name)... but I believe he went the other way. Had an S1 and went to a new ZX10R... he'll probably pop in here sometime.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Your experience is not surprising. The Kawi has been on the heels of the s1k since the 2011 zx-10 model came out. For my level of riding it probably is a coin toss as to which is "better". In all honestly, if it wasn't for the digital tach and imo ugly bodywork, I would've considered the zx.
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK View Post
Your experience is not surprising. The Kawi has been on the heels of the s1k since the 2011 zx-10 model came out. For my level of riding it probably is a coin toss as to which is "better". In all honestly, if it wasn't for the digital tach and imo ugly bodywork, I would've considered the zx.
same. I love what they've done with the quality of the bike but hate the styling and ESPECIALLY the cockpit.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hulk and QS---I agree to a degree with both of your comments, particularly as it relates to the dash and the stars wars tach. I also feel like the BMW has an overall higher quality look, and to a lesser extent feel, with a great dash and guages layout. The BMW looks a fair amount more expensive than it actually is, and as mentioned the QS is huge to me as are the heated grips, much to my surprise. That said, all Kawi's are really well put together these days with the 10R being no exception. I by no means think it's an ugly bike, rather the best looking 10R in some time, but that's all subjective of course.
What did grab me on my back to back was the chassis and suspension differences of the two bikes. Both good, but for the street the 10R actually felt a bit more nimble and easier to ride with better overall ride quality and that VERY smooth vibration free power delivery. Less mid-range or not, didn't seem to notice or matter cause the cure was just more throttle and so smooth was easy to forget or pay attention to what gear I was in.

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"

Last edited by Triple Threat; 12-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Jagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have owned both the 2010 S1000rr and a 2012 ZX10r (I have a problem I know).

Anyway here are my totally non biased opinions on the two:

S1000 engine feels stronger (just has that missle blast top end) although the ZX10 is NO slouch either. The S1000 throttle seems a bit touchy almost like you rev up and hit 9-10rpm and then it just wants to rip your arms off. The ZX10 feels much more linear and hence seems "slower". Mostly because the power comes on more progressively. Makes it feel slower, but more controllable and useable.

S1000 did seem to vibrate a bit more through the handlebars, but honestly both bikes are very smooth.

Both bikes are excellent in around town slow traffic.

ZX10 seems to handle better. Just a lighter bike and the chassis is a winner. It is so confidence inspiring. This would be my bike of choice for track racing.

ZX10 is easier to work on. Just little things like placement of the oil filter and such.

I like the dash on the zx10 better.

You have to reflash the zx10 or do the wire mod to recoup the loss you have from the us restrictions. If you do though, it is one fast machine. I had the Guhl flash and the austin racing slip on.

The zx is lighter.

The ergos on the zx felt slightly better.

ZX does not have a quickshifter

Brakes on the s1000 feel much better

Overall, comparing the two (again a 2010 bmw) I liked the zx10 better in terms of riding it and working on it. However, I like the power of the s1000 better and the looks better of the bmw.

With that being said.....once the hp4 came out I sold my zx10 and am currently bikeless and waiting for the HP4 to come in I put a deposit down. I hope all the changes won't dissapoint. In the end I just want to have something that is reliable, handles well, has massive power, and is exlusive and unique. I think the ZX10 accomplishes all of those well except for the exclusivity thing.

If you want a great bike for the track or twisties the zx is awesome.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Didnt BMW change the chassis set up on the newer 2012 up BMW to make steer quicker and more nimble it be great to hear what people think about the 2012 zx10 and 2012 BMW cuz everyone knows the 2010-11 BMW felt like a tank and would take lots of effort to steer around turns specially at trackdays and races.

Last edited by Triple Threat; 12-06-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Jimmyc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

interesting perspective...at this level, I honestly feel that it's 90% rider and 10% personal preference - all superbikes are quick.

I lost by three lengths to a bone stock 2011 R1, due to my inability to launch (see thread I put up about launching). Despite what is said about the R1 being the least powerful, heaviest, etc of the literbikes, once I was rolling and at full throttle, I couldn't close the gap.

The industry knows that superbike riders shop by numbers, but in the end you're only as fast as your skill level, and it's better to shop by personal preference.

So info like this, about the "feel" and "character" of a bike, is a lot more useful than dyno numbers.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind if I had to ride a crossplane R1. With Toce pipes, I swear it sounds exactly like the MotoGP Yamahas, and I've heard both in person.
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

No body seems too mention that you cannot change the electronics on the zx10r whilst riding. I may be wrong but i thought you had to stop the bike to turn traction control and abs off as well as change modes. It has taken me a while to adjust to electronics but now i am discovering a whole new world.

many times now i will ride in race mode to maintain full abs however i will turn the tc off so i can wheelie and have the full grunt. Coming into the bad weather i am finding i am switching around the settings constantly to suite the roads and it is awesome. I was in the rain the other day testing rain mode and i was wacking the throttle wide open letting her break loose and seeing the full extent of the tc. I have owned a gen3 zx10r but not ridden a gen 4 however at the moment i am so wrapped in my s1000rr i long for nothing else. I am content and long to ride it 24/7 . My urge to ride is so strong those around me say i am obsessed. That voice in my head keeps saying go racing ! go racing ! you know ya gotta

Ps, my bike is smooth as silk with no vibes at all

2012 s1000rr
2010 cbr1000rr
2005 gsxr1000 (track bike)
2007 Harley davidson heritage custom
2002 kx250

Last edited by Toe cutter; 12-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Toe cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe cutter View Post
No body seems too mention that you cannot change the electronics on the zx10r whilst riding. I may be wrong but i thought you had to stop the bike to turn traction control and abs off as well as change modes. It has taken me a while to adjust to electronics but now i am discovering a whole new world.

many times now i will ride in race mode to maintain full abs however i will turn the tc off so i can wheelie and have the full grunt. Coming into the bad weather i am finding i am switching around the settings constantly to suite the roads and it is awesome. I was in the rain the other day testing rain mode and i was wacking the throttle wide open letting her break loose and seeing the full extent of the tc. I have owned a gen3 zx10r but not ridden a gen 4 however at the moment i am so wrapped in my s1000rr i long for nothing else. I am content and long to ride it 24/7 . My urge to ride is so strong those around me say i am obsessed. That voice in my head keeps saying go racing ! go racing ! you know ya gotta

Ps, my bike is smooth as silk with no vibes at all
You can adjust the power levels and the traction control on the fly. You cannot turn off the traction control while moving though. However, you can have that feature disabled by the reflash. I had my ECU flashed by Guhl and he: Removed the US 20hp restrictions, raised the rev limit by 500, removed the top speed limiter, removed the servo motor error message, and allow traction control to be turned off while moving. I think to get the ABS off on a ABS model is a bit more complicated though. I know guys were pulling the fuse for that before track days. Not sure if they came up with an easier way or not.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement