Kawasaki ZX-10R and BMW S1000RR - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

we can turn off ABS/DTC on the fly? In three years I can honestly say I've never tried it. Call me an idiot but I can't seem to intuitively get the button sequence for turning off one, the other, or both.

Mode switching though, I do that without even looking. I just know what mode I'm in and how many clicks I need to press to get to the mode I want. Quick pop of the clutch lever and there we go!
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Metalhead...excellent insight!

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"
Jagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc. View Post
Didnt BMW change the chassis set up on the newer 2012 up BMW to make steer quicker and more nimble it be great to hear what people think about the 2012 zx10 and 2012 BMW cuz everyone know the 2010-11 BMW felt like a tank and wold take lots of effort steer around turns specially at trackdays and races
Yes they did and every reviewer seemed to agree that the 2012 was immeasurably better than the 10-11. I personally think the bike tracks VERY true through curves but still feels a bit heavy on the turn in, particularly compared to the lighter steering Kwak. For a street rider with average riding skills who enjoys spirited riding through the twisites the 10R feels lighter and more nimble. And that's not to say the S1000R feels anywhere close to tank like, just that the 10R to me has "easier" steering and handling for the street.
I think I just landed on something. The 10R is easier to ride well for me than the S1000RR quality, looks, independant. The BMW offers a different kind of feedback however that is a bit more engaging and feels to be the hot rod of the two. Funny though I'd say the 10R feels like the more "refined" ride of the two.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe cutter View Post
I have owned a gen3 zx10r but not ridden a gen 4 however at the moment i am so wrapped in my s1000rr i long for nothing else. I am content and long to ride it 24/7 . My urge to ride is so strong those around me say i am obsessed. That voice in my head keeps saying go racing ! go racing ! you know ya gotta

Ps, my bike is smooth as silk with no vibes at all
I get it and don't think you're obsessed anymore than the rest of us
I was also 100% content with no need to look anywhere else till that day in the twisties when I swapped bikes with my buddy mostly so he could experience the mighty S1000RR. He liked it a lot. The twist was I loved the ZX-10R. Re: vibes, I am not bothered by them MOST of the time, but on occasion with a real heavy and quick throttle burst and run past 10K and into triple digits I get vibes in the pegs, (not bars), and overall less smoothness factor than on the 10R. So it's when making full use of the area where the BMW shines, the powerful burst of power isn't as smooth as it seems it should be.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Overall, comparing the two (again a 2010 bmw) I liked the zx10 better in terms of riding it and working on it. However, I like the power of the s1000 better and the looks better of the bmw.
Interesting that the seemingly most important area, riding, the ZX10 gets the nod. Also as I'm sure you know, quite a lot has changed for the 12 S1000 in terms of throttle snatch and power delivery. Much more linear delivery of power on the 2012, more similar to the ZX10R, and less of a difference in the fuel maps for the 4 ride modes. On the 10-11, some say they miss the "hit" of power that Race and Slick delivered rather than the smoother more consistent power curves on the 2012.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default warranty toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
You can adjust the power levels and the traction control on the fly. You cannot turn off the traction control while moving though. However, you can have that feature disabled by the reflash. I had my ECU flashed by Guhl and he: Removed the US 20hp restrictions, raised the rev limit by 500, removed the top speed limiter, removed the servo motor error message, and allow traction control to be turned off while moving. I think to get the ABS off on a ABS model is a bit more complicated though. I know guys were pulling the fuse for that before track days. Not sure if they came up with an easier way or not.
Just wondering. Doesn't having that done instantly void your warranty? I mean I am all for making the bike my own and compared to cars they aren't very expensive but if you have an engine problem of some sort as they did on the ZX at the start and they decide to nit pick as many dealers are doing these days you could get stuck spending thousands just to have your bike fixed if it breaks something major. Not sure if that's a chance I would want to take. Just too many potential pitfalls on a brand new vehicle to toss the warranty for me. Just my .02
Jaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post
Just wondering. Doesn't having that done instantly void your warranty? I mean I am all for making the bike my own and compared to cars they aren't very expensive but if you have an engine problem of some sort as they did on the ZX at the start and they decide to nit pick as many dealers are doing these days you could get stuck spending thousands just to have your bike fixed if it breaks something major. Not sure if that's a chance I would want to take. Just too many potential pitfalls on a brand new vehicle to toss the warranty for me. Just my .02
Given that warranty is only a year on these bikes, (non BMW or touring), really isn't a big deal. I had my ECU flashed by Guhl on a 2011 Kawi Concours 14 and it had a 3 yr warranty. The local dealer said no warranty issues unless it was proven something in a mild ECU flash caused the bike to grenade. Highly unlikely. But again, with one year warranties on Jap sport bikes, kind of a non issue.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman View Post
Given that warranty is only a year on these bikes, (non BMW or touring), really isn't a big deal. I had my ECU flashed by Guhl on a 2011 Kawi Concours 14 and it had a 3 yr warranty. The local dealer said no warranty issues unless it was proven something in a mild ECU flash caused the bike to grenade. Highly unlikely. But again, with one year warranties on Jap sport bikes, kind of a non issue.
Ah, got it. I have been only buying Euro bikes for the most part so am used to the 3 year thing. With S1K motors going for $11k the thought of having to replace one on my dime scares me. I guess with 1 year and an understanding dealer what they heck. Makes sense.
Jaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thumbs up My biggest respects for the ZX10 of Kawa

Here in my country there are some Japanese motorbikes with the ECU reflashed. Watch this 2012 ZX10 of a friend of mine.

2012 ZX10R Top Speed Run 336km (Click HD quality to see better) - YouTube
plumero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Before I bought my BMW last year I rode both and here are my thoughts

Both bikes are almost the same except:

Bmw has 20 more HP, 3 year warranty, Much better color options, and a QS.

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement