BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Pulled the trigger today! Renewing my S1000RR membership

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DarenLine 
#1 · (Edited)
Took the day off today to look at the 2016 1299 Panigale S. Was so wanting to just do it but ended up reading too much about how leaky she tends to be. Since this was my daily commuter i decided to go with another BMW.
Made a deal with the local BMW dealership here in San Deigo. Was there a few weeks back and could not arrive at a deal since they wanted to steal my trade. Today i took the trade out of the picture and we came to a deal.
Eduardo is pretty cool to work with at San Diego BMW Motorcycle. Now..that doesnt mean they dont give you a sales run. Didnt even do a test ride.

Notes about my 15 minute ride home:

the 2016 seeems to sit a tad higher than the 2012.
The throttle response seems a bit touchy compared to my 2012. I like it actually.
My brake lever seems to not engage the brakes until the very end..Sure i just need to adjust. Might need a bleed.
Exhaust pop on deceleration was a pleasant surprise!
I was lost looking down at the new speedo. Little different but cool
Cool key! lol
Love the red color. Mostly so I am more visible when spilitting lanes down the 163.
Did some weird buzzing noise when i turned it off. Took a while to go off.
Shifting butter smooth
And......Pirellis!

Already amazed with this thing and i am positive i made the right choice.
Now i just need to sell the 2012 or maybe think about tracking it.

See less See more
#4 ·
track both? lol..awe man...I would be riding in rain mode on the track since I still owe on the 2016. 2012 maybe..but man..it has been seriously hot here for a track day. Button Willow and Streets have been seeing 100s. will wait until the fall and see. maybe sell the 2012 and buy a 600 track only bike and have $$ to spare

Reactions: 5150 Pops
#5 · (Edited)
2016 observations:

Burnt oil smell..not 100% if it is my bike or the sea of smoking cars on my daily route. Could be the coating on the metal parts but it doesn't smell like that..smells like burning synthetic oil. Will keep an eye on it.

QS much smoother than 2012. maybe it was just my 2012..but it is quite the pleasure shifting with it even though I am rev limited.

Bumper to bumper traffic my 2012 was a bit more responsive/quicker. Could be the pre-600 mile setting from factory. But not sure.

2016 leaned over is soooooo much better than the 2012. could be the new tires but the stability was unreal as I about dragged a denim covered knee over the asphalt.

The exhaust sound just wants to make you cry when compared to a stock 2012 exhaust. Thought I wouldn't like the pop noise but now I induce it more often

Throttle feel is noticeably different in the 2016. Kind of sensitive in a good way.

Plastics: on my maiden voyage from the dealer I got a rock ding on the nose near my lights. I very visible white mark on the red paint can be seen. my 2012 black has been hit quite a few times with no dings or scratches.

chain guard on the rear wheel is quite flimsy compared to the 2012. (not a big deal...just saying)

Startup sound of the 2016 is just a prideful sound..when I started my 2012 with stock exhaust it sounded like I had a dry clutch. crap stock exhaust.

Rev limit is killing me...QS is so restricted with the low revs. Almost sent me over the front when it kicked in.

Next tests: I have only driven the bike in Race mode..tomorrow I think I will try the lesser modes just to see what its like.

#7 ·
The throttle response seems a bit touchy compared to my 2012.
A surprising observation, given that the throttle is so easily modulated. Perhaps you are sensing the difference between the true ride-by-wire of the 2015+ and the earlier cable actuated electronic throttle.

Burnt oil smell..not 100% if it is my bike or the sea of smoking cars on my daily route. Could be the coating on the metal parts but it doesn't smell like that..smells like burning synthetic oil.
Hopefully this is the exhaust manufacturing oil/coating. My RR also was a bit smelly initially.

Rev limit is killing me...QS is so restricted with the low revs. Almost sent me over the front when it kicked in.
The limiter or the QS?

#8 ·
A surprising observation, given that the throttle is so easily modulated. Perhaps you are sensing the difference between the true ride-by-wire of the 2015+ and the earlier cable actuated electronic throttle.

Hopefully this is the exhaust manufacturing oil/coating. My RR also was a bit smelly initially.

The limiter or the QS?
He is saying that when he downshifted utilizing the QS the rev limiter kicked in and almost threw him off the bike.

#12 ·
Oh! one observation from today. There is a decreasing-radius corner while exiting the freeway that i traveled often on my 2012. I was in a bit of disbelief on how fluid that turn went compared to my 2012. hard to explain. just felt more confidence from the bike.

just my observation. anyone looking for a 2012 in san diego? the novelty of having 2 S1000RR's in the garage has passed. :grin2:

#13 ·
I've had my 2016 about two weeks now, the stink is a lot less, barely noticable now, it must be some assembly lube burning off I guess,
but had a nasty Brussell sprout stink to it?!?

I was really surprised how planted it felt leaned over, just inspires confidence. The Corsa's seem like a perfect match for it.

#15 ·
DITTO!

Damn it OP, you and I are exactly the same. I had a 2014 S1000RR and rode an HD FXDB for about 8 months then this weekend pulled the trigger on a Motorsports 2016 Premium with all the bells and whistles!

Beforehand I was looking at a 2016 1299S AS WELL! I said to myself....don't the BMW have all these features AND MORE (excpet the LED and gorgeous dash). I felt that the S1000RR is just a far more superior bike (surprise, surprise).

I had no complaints with my 2014 so It was a safe choice to make. I am however waiting for mine to be shipped to my dealer so I am very anxious.

--Ken

#21 ·
The 2018 I rest rode last Saturday had the oil burn smell. It has to be the new coating or manufacturing films on the surfaces.
Don?t want to stay away from the topic, but mind to share your experience on the 2018? Seems like exactly the same as 2017, but haven?t had anyone test riding it.

To OP, your observation is spot on, I upgraded from 2013 to 2016, and the seat felt a little higher, but I noticed my friends rr with 3k miles was sitting lower than mine (both 2016, but mine was brand new), so I figured the bike may settle a bit after couple thousands miles ... and quite honestly I didn?t like the ride by wire at the beginning, I was about to get used to it at 600 miles when I sold the bike and went back to 2013. There are a lot of things I missed from 2016 except the Raw power of 2013, not sure if it was the engine vibration, the throttle feeling or what, but between the two the 2013 felt more pure and raw. Needless to say I didn?t get to remove the rev limiter of my 16 prior selling the bike, which certainly could change all of my observation ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.