Stock Steering-Damper on 2012 USELESS, even with 10 clicks upgrade - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stock Steering-Damper on 2012 USELESS, even with 10 clicks upgrade

I swapped over to an Ohlins, and it's way better. Even with the upgraded 10-click option on the 2012 model, the stock damper is still not good enough.

Ohlins Steering Damper BMW S1000RR 2012 NEW! SD038 | eBay

I purchased my Ohlins via the above link. I am very satisfied, you can definately notice the difference, i am running on 11/20 clicks.

They are legit, shipped it right away, and are not counterfeit.

I will use the spare one on one of my older bikes.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My problem with the original SD wasn't that it could dampen steering enough, the opposite, actually. The lame thing about that OEM piece of .... is that when i found a good high speed setting, it would dampen the steering at low speed like mad. Which meant you had to adjust it when you headed into the city, and since the position of the thing makes that impossible, ohlins was the way to go.

Very satisfied about that piece of tech tho. Only kicks in when needed, and well, it's ohlins. :P
MasterTommy NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess I don't see the issues that others do with the steering damper...I consider myself pretty fast (former AMA experts license way way back in the 70's when I was a puppy) but have found the damping to be more than adequate...I mean a bit of a baby wobble here or there on a high speed turn doesn't bother me as long as it isn't dangerous or hindering the speed...maybe it's just me....I am tempted to get an ohlins just to see the difference though. Fyi, my damper and suspension is on the stock setting and I weigh 140 lbs.
Red and Alpine White 2012 S1000RR, Austin Racing Full Inconel GP2R exhaust with titanium can, PCV with dyno tune by WSB tuner, AR CF Satin Belly Pan, R&G Racing side covers and wheel sliders and License plate relocation kit with rear light internal LED blinkers and brake lights.
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I purchased my Ohlins via the above link. I am very satisfied, you can definately notice the difference, i am running on 11/20 clicks.
That's a bit tight to be running a steering damper!! Typically you should be around 1/4 of the total capacity and maybe a hair less (base starting place). If you are getting that much head shake at high speed, you might try loosening your grip and if that doesn't help, you may have a geometry and/or suspension issue going on.

The issue when you tighten it up so much is that if you now get a bad headshake, the 'shake' will be transferred back into the frame now... and you wanna eat shitt quick... that's a good way to do it!
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by 1000RR; 11-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Damper believer, but I prefer the on the fly adjustable rotary style:

Last edited by Triple Threat; 11-28-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I swapped over to an Ohlins, and it's way better. Even with the upgraded 10-click option on the 2012 model, the stock damper is still not good enough.

As others have said, if you have not set your suspension to your weight and riding style, the damper is just masking the real problem.

I have the stock damper and have never had a wobble, even on the track at speed.

E
2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

2010 BMW S1000RR
ABS-DTC-Shift Assist
Fastest Color Motorsport
AMPforE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

as soon as I find a problem with the stock damper, I'll replace it in a second. but I haven't had any issues with either the fixed '10 damper or the adjustable '12, which I have set at maximum. The only time I feel how stiff it is, is when I'm parking my bike.

Bike setup is indeed important; I've bought two Ducatis that didn't come with dampers. Never had head shake on either, but it's a completely different feeling at speed, and I don't particularly like it. Slapped some dampers on them and all is better!
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

Your settings for the damper is very very stiff.I use mine,which is a Bitubo, at 1/3 max.A friend of mine has a n Ohlins and he use 6-8 max otherwise he has problems in low speed turning.
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
DBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPforE View Post
As others have said, if you have not set your suspension to your weight and riding style, the damper is just masking the real problem.

I have the stock damper and have never had a wobble, even on the track at speed.

E
same. My suspension is set and no more wobbles since then. 2011 oem

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
Damper believer, but I prefer the on the fly adjustable rotary style:

Im thinking of getting a GPR, what number is yours currently on?

I have tried loosing grip at high speeds, but it still feels like the front wheel/steering gets very "light" like the damper never kicks in. Its adjusted to the highest setting, I can only feel the damper working at low speeds. I can't be the only one that has felt this with the factory damper.
Advertisement