Puff Blue Smoke~Startup - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puff Blue Smoke~Startup

Well,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I simply cannot find the thread. Yesterday, I had the OEM heated grips installed. The process took about four (4) hours, for reasons not here pertinent. When the technician brought the bike around front (100 yd trip) he blip-ed the throttle and a puff of blue smoke emerged from my full Akrapovic exhaust.

I know this is common in some situations and on some engines on cold start up, but this slightly different.

Thoughts, comments, threads?

Thanks,

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't recall the thread about this but blue smoke is always oil being burnt in the cyclinders. Maybe the bike tipped over and oil got in. How is it running?
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Valve stem seals ?

Get someone to follow you and watch your exhaust for smoke, when you gear change AND when you open the throttle after a short time of it being closed ( over run)...

Let us know, oh and watch your sight glass..
3blueS1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

My 11 with over 18K doesn't do that.
That would worry me.
PistolPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well gentlemen,

I probably need to add that this bike has about 2500 miles on it, is not a recall bike and was meticulously broken in following the manual's instructions, plus my 55 years of riding bikes.

Also, I've owned several Porsche 911's and they do this because of the horizontal cylinder layout, as I suspect do BMW R type motors for the same reason. But even though our engines are canted forward at a rather severe angle, I would have thought the oil would still drain (via gravity) back into the sump.

If it's seals, guides, seats, or rings (if this engine has guides) then it's a warranty matter 'cause I've never abused this engine. I just can't believe there is a mechanical problem but I will watch it and report back no matter what the outcome.

Please continue to comment if you have any.

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 11-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Go ride the piss out of it. If you see it is consuming oil then take it in. That is what the warranty is for.
the_gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

WARRANTY

Blue smoke Burning Oil
Black smoke Running Rich
White smoke Running Lean
1988 Honda XR100
1993 Honda XR250
1997 Honda XR400
2007 KTM 450 EXC
1994 Honda RVF 400
2010 BMW S1000RR
2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple
2012 BMW S1000RR --> Bike of the Month DEC/2012 <-- http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...er-2012-a.html
current bike
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2007 Yamaha FZ6 Cup Race Bike
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, thanks for the input.

After last post, I started it up with the exhaust tip in bright sunlight. No smoke, no oil residue in muffler tip, and no oil on finger from you know what to the muffler. Only observable clue is black exhaust residue, as is typical of an engine running rich. Then rode sixty miles normally. At home with muffler tip again in bright sunlight.......no smoke, even "blipped" the throttle several times and again.........nothing.

On Tuesday I will check with the shop and report back. I'm beginning to think it's nothing, which, of course, given all the facts, is the reasonable conclusion.

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement