BMW S1000RR Forum banner

The s1000rr isn't the bike for beginners

78K views 288 replies 69 participants last post by  Sengoku19352 
#1 · (Edited)
Wondering why no one ever talks about how dangerous this bike is for those considering a s1000rr/HP4 as a first bike. If it wasn't for the electronics, this bike would be difficult to handle on the street. With this said, this bike is still difficult to handle on the street (sinister... Lol).

Before buying this bike I watched all the reviews on YouTube, as all the journalist would talk about how easy the bike was to ride. After my first ride on my new machine I quickly realized that the journalist either lied for sales, or don't ride litre machines in the street as hard as I. This brought me to the realization that one must first master the litre bikes before upgrading to something as serious as a s1000rr/HP4. Definitely not the ride you talk about with a novice 2 or 3 season bike owner.

I am so in love with this bike, but humbled by its seemingly endless potential. Wondering how others feel about the machines.

#5 ·
I think I'm just overwhelmed by the power, traction and agility of this bike compared to my old Yamaha R1. I probably ride alittle too agressive for the road in my area admittedly. But, that doesn't negate from the fact that my bike is coming up all the way to 5th gear, no exaggeration. If it's wasn't for wheelie control, a steering damper, and traction control, this bike would be in a ditch somewhere.

#7 ·
So because you ride aggressive on the streets means this bike isn't tame enough for a relatively new rider to be okay on it?

I had only about 5000 miles on a motorcycle when I bought my S1000RR. Upgraded from a Yamaha R3. I was scared shitless for the first few months on the S1000RR and it hasn't seen over 120ish on the highway, and that was on a completely empty toll road out in the middle of nowhere. I don't ride aggressively on the street. Do you want to know why I got this bike? And it's not because I was looking at one, because that's not what it was. I was looking at getting a CBR600RR or a Daytona 675R but my local dealership had a '14 S1000 for about the same price as I would pay for a new 600 with just over 1000 miles. I figured I might as well take it for a rest ride. I have test rode a few older liter bikes before and they scared me too much, there was no way I was ready for that. But the S1000RR is comfortable, applies power smoothly, and has tons of electronics to help save my ass if I get in trouble.

I have been riding this bike for about 6 months now, put about 6000 miles on it, and multiple track days and am yet to go down or come close to killing myself.

This is definitely a case of it's more about the rider. I would never recommend this bike to a new rider, I honestly had a hard time making this decision knowing it was more bike than I could handle. But now, there isn't a day I hop on it that I wish I had gotten anything else. I still think it's more power than I need/want, but I am in love with my bike now.

#8 ·
Lol, had about 2800 miles total, on an MV Agusta Brutale 675 before this beast. 8 track days and 3400 miles later I'm an advanced level rider. I'm sorry, but talking up how hardcore of a street rider he is makes me laugh so much I piss myself a little. Everyone thinks they're Max Wrist these days >:)

#9 · (Edited)
It's a recipe. The sheer power of the beast is tamed by the electronics package. As a learner 1000cc bike. There are none better. It can do slow. It can do fast. Its all controlled by your right hand. If you are a learner and get too greedy, prepare your anus to be peppered. I used to joke with sales guys when I was at dealers, each new bike sold comes with a paid funeral and a nice new pine box.

What ya reckon @z00? New recruit for our >10krpm club. We need a secretary lol :D

#19 ·
What ya reckon @z00? New recruit for our >10krpm club. We need a secretary lol :D
Bro only had the bike for few thousands miles and already an aggressive rider. I doubt he evens makes the cut as secretary in > 10k RPM club. :wink2:

OP:

I rode mostly dirt bikes since I was 11. I'm very balanced on 2 wheels. RR is my first bike after not ridding for over 15 years. I used to think I was an aggressive rider until I rode with some experienced riders. I have had my 15 RR for 13 month, over 16K miles now, and I'm still learning. Aggressive is relative >:) I know an older coach that smokes me and anyone else on a 250 Aprillia (street or track).

Take this with a grain of salt. You're going to get hurt if you keep going about ridding the way you mentioned. I almost got myself killed a couple of times (search for threads by me in rider technique sub forum). The bike can be forgiving and very safe for a beginner. But it's also just as deadly.

I learned to keep it under ~70% of my ability on the street and 80% on the track. Ride with the streets with experienced people, do as many track days as you can. Stay humble! It took about me 8000k miles until I could say my pace is fast.

I know a couple of riders who had RR as their first bikes. Both totaled their bikes (they're ok).

Riding is mostly about judgement and anticipating events rather than skill/aggression. With practice everything comes.

#10 ·
California Superbike School uses the S1000RR for several reasons and one is its ability to be 'tame' when needed.

The RR is simply a beast when unleashed, especially >10K, and can take any unsuspecting rider by surprise. I've put the HP4 through its paces in every mode and consider it tame to amazingly mind numbing depending on what 'I' ask of it.

Both my son and daughter have been on it (from SV1K) and love it. Dialed down, it's still a handful so make sure it's setup for you and your weight, riding style and enjoy or sell it before it tosses you into the ditch.

#11 ·
There sure are a lot of new members every day it seems. BMW hit a home run with this bike and it appears that they are selling a bunch of em. I haven't ridden many older liter bikes but it was my Impression that pre 2008 ish, the power delivery was not as smooth as bikes are nowadays. I suspect the BMW is more forgiving than most as far as 1000's go.

#15 ·
There sure are a lot of new members every day it seems. BMW hit a home run with this bike and it appears that they are selling a bunch of em.
I think yesterday was National buy an S1000RR day based on new members this morning. All the posts I wanted to read were on page 3 and 4 @ 05:00 Pacific time. The first 2 pages were newb posts. :surprise:

#12 ·
Electronics are really pushing out the 600cc bikes sales down and the 1000cc sales up. Maybe this a sneaky way to control over population? :p

That being said yes bikes are becoming more and more idiot proof, but this doesn't mean they are still not dangerous in the wrong hands.

#13 ·
i have had a few incidents now where had i been on my old Daytona, id have come off.
Tuesday night even, i parked on some damp grass, then rode over fine gravel, then on cold tyres took off and let the traction control do its job. Love it.

My old leaner bike out of the showroom had terrible brakes, cheap hard tyres, no acceleration, terrible gearing, useless mirrors, No traction control, no ABS, no volume and countless other issues i have forgotten over time. i canned it after four months and bought the Daytona while i was still on a restricted license because i felt so much safer. The S1000rr is on a whole other level of safety and ride-ability than the Daytona.

But, riding my RSV4RR a leaner might find a little harder.

#14 ·
I am so in love with this bike, but humbled by its seemingly endless potential. Wondering how others feel about the machines.
Humbled is what you should be on this bike. It's a race bike capable of turning respectable laps times in Superstock in the hands of someone that knows what to do with it. But it is very easy to ride by a beginner that has a modicum of self control.

So take that humility, wrap it around your ego and stuff that away and get some quality coaching at California Superbike School before you ride it aggressively on the street. I've recently done all the CSS levels and repeated level 4; I used to race in WERA a while back; and yet, my S1000RR rarely saw the north side of 10,000 rpm on the street. Any street romps at 14,000 rpm on any liter bike is going to land you soon in the gray bar hotel or a worse place. Just get thee to some track days with some good coaching to unleash the beast inside.

#20 · (Edited)
I think people are misunderstanding the post and my ability a bit. I'm a very capable 100% defensive street rider even when pushing. I'm just trying to be honest about this wonderful machine. Trust and believe that I understand the power and control of a clutch, throttle and front brake. But, that still doesn't change the fact that this bike is a pure beast. When ridden the way this bike truly is intended, it can overwhelm a novice rider. We all know that this bike wants to go fast all the time (let's not be fooled by its electronic safe guards). I'm super impressed by this machine, but when thinking of the future of motorcycles, the next step/design might as well have wings.

Note: I've been riding since the 80's, my third litre bike, many track days, aggressive meaning capable of handling my level of riding (my pace, not yours). No assumptions, but because one is new to this forum and this bike doesn't mean that the pilot is a neo to this bike life. Humbled and appreciate the feedback on this post, positive and the assumptions.

#34 ·
When ridden the way this bike truly is intended, it can overwhelm a novice rider. We all know that this bike wants to go fast all the time . . .
Complete nonsense.

The bike is intended to be ridden intelligently, within the skills of the rider - novice or expert. It is not intended to be ridden stupidly.

And the bike does not "want" anything. It is simply a machine, well-designed to be very easy to control. It only "wants" to do what you tell it to.

This is a very easy to ride motorcycle. It is like my Z06, a completely docile grocery-getter if this is what you want.

Of course, if one is an idiot and have no self control, you can easily kill yourself on an RR. You can do the same on any motorized vehicle.

#29 ·
:xYou guys kill me!
such a sausage fest here!
It's just a motorcycle. It only does what you tell it to do.
Even old ladies can ride it.
I have pics in my albums if you doubt me.
Did you expect anything less? :grin2:

I'm still waiting to recieve my hard rider badge >:)
Sorry TB151, was too good to pass up. >:)>:)>:)

#36 ·
Omg I can't believe we have another " is the BMW s1000rr a great beginner bike?" Then we have page after page of it is all in your right hand, etc. Somebody link the search results of the 10,000 other pages and kill this thread

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.