The s1000rr isn't the bike for beginners - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 291Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

The s1000rr isn't the bike for beginners

Wondering why no one ever talks about how dangerous this bike is for those considering a s1000rr/HP4 as a first bike. If it wasn't for the electronics, this bike would be difficult to handle on the street. With this said, this bike is still difficult to handle on the street (sinister... Lol).

Before buying this bike I watched all the reviews on YouTube, as all the journalist would talk about how easy the bike was to ride. After my first ride on my new machine I quickly realized that the journalist either lied for sales, or don't ride litre machines in the street as hard as I. This brought me to the realization that one must first master the litre bikes before upgrading to something as serious as a s1000rr/HP4. Definitely not the ride you talk about with a novice 2 or 3 season bike owner.

I am so in love with this bike, but humbled by its seemingly endless potential. Wondering how others feel about the machines.

Last edited by Gypsyman; 06-16-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Elk

By searching on the words beginner bike you will find many posts on this topic.
Colers likes this.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #3 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 PM

How hard do you ride in the streets?
Seraphim38 and Colers like this.

post #4 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM

VERY aggressive I'm sure. The bike weighs about the same as a lot of 600's, so put it in rain mode and pretend. The journos are saying that it's easier than other liter bikes, they are not saying it's a good beginner bike. Although some have started with it.
Aminovisk and Colers like this.
post #5 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm just overwhelmed by the power, traction and agility of this bike compared to my old Yamaha R1. I probably ride alittle too agressive for the road in my area admittedly. But, that doesn't negate from the fact that my bike is coming up all the way to 5th gear, no exaggeration. If it's wasn't for wheelie control, a steering damper, and traction control, this bike would be in a ditch somewhere.
post #6 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Elk

This has nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the rider.

The bike does not do anything you have not to told it to do.

'15 S1000RR
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
'07 Ducati 1098S Tricolore
'05 Ducati 999
post #7 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:28 PM

So because you ride aggressive on the streets means this bike isn't tame enough for a relatively new rider to be okay on it?

I had only about 5000 miles on a motorcycle when I bought my S1000RR. Upgraded from a Yamaha R3. I was scared shitless for the first few months on the S1000RR and it hasn't seen over 120ish on the highway, and that was on a completely empty toll road out in the middle of nowhere. I don't ride aggressively on the street. Do you want to know why I got this bike? And it's not because I was looking at one, because that's not what it was. I was looking at getting a CBR600RR or a Daytona 675R but my local dealership had a '14 S1000 for about the same price as I would pay for a new 600 with just over 1000 miles. I figured I might as well take it for a rest ride. I have test rode a few older liter bikes before and they scared me too much, there was no way I was ready for that. But the S1000RR is comfortable, applies power smoothly, and has tons of electronics to help save my ass if I get in trouble.

I have been riding this bike for about 6 months now, put about 6000 miles on it, and multiple track days and am yet to go down or come close to killing myself.

This is definitely a case of it's more about the rider. I would never recommend this bike to a new rider, I honestly had a hard time making this decision knowing it was more bike than I could handle. But now, there isn't a day I hop on it that I wish I had gotten anything else. I still think it's more power than I need/want, but I am in love with my bike now.
post #8 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyality View Post
So because you ride aggressive on the streets means this bike isn't tame enough for a relatively new rider to be okay on it?

I had only about 5000 miles on a motorcycle when I bought my S1000RR. Upgraded from a Yamaha R3. I was scared shitless for the first few months on the S1000RR and it hasn't seen over 120ish on the highway, and that was on a completely empty toll road out in the middle of nowhere. I don't ride aggressively on the street. Do you want to know why I got this bike? And it's not because I was looking at one, because that's not what it was. I was looking at getting a CBR600RR or a Daytona 675R but my local dealership had a '14 S1000 for about the same price as I would pay for a new 600 with just over 1000 miles. I figured I might as well take it for a rest ride. I have test rode a few older liter bikes before and they scared me too much, there was no way I was ready for that. But the S1000RR is comfortable, applies power smoothly, and has tons of electronics to help save my ass if I get in trouble.

I have been riding this bike for about 6 months now, put about 6000 miles on it, and multiple track days and am yet to go down or come close to killing myself.

This is definitely a case of it's more about the rider. I would never recommend this bike to a new rider, I honestly had a hard time making this decision knowing it was more bike than I could handle. But now, there isn't a day I hop on it that I wish I had gotten anything else. I still think it's more power than I need/want, but I am in love with my bike now.

Lol, had about 2800 miles total, on an MV Agusta Brutale 675 before this beast. 8 track days and 3400 miles later I'm an advanced level rider. I'm sorry, but talking up how hardcore of a street rider he is makes me laugh so much I piss myself a little. Everyone thinks they're Max Wrist these days

2015 S1000RR
Motorsports, Dynamic, Race, SC-Project GP70-R, Luimoto Seat, Solo Cowl, TPX Radar, MRA Windsceen

2007 Triumph Daytona (Dedicated Track/Race) Sharkskinz, Full Titanium Remus Exhaust, ECU Tune, Full Penske Suspension, GPR Damper, Woodcraft Rearsets, Annitori Quickshifter, CRG Levers, Full Vinyl Wrap

2009 Range Rover HSE

Past:
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 675
post #9 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 PM

It's a recipe. The sheer power of the beast is tamed by the electronics package. As a learner 1000cc bike. There are none better. It can do slow. It can do fast. Its all controlled by your right hand. If you are a learner and get too greedy, prepare your anus to be peppered. I used to joke with sales guys when I was at dealers, each new bike sold comes with a paid funeral and a nice new pine box.

What ya reckon @z00? New recruit for our >10krpm club. We need a secretary lol

Last edited by bennymx; 06-15-2016 at 09:05 PM.
post #10 of 288 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM

California Superbike School uses the S1000RR for several reasons and one is its ability to be 'tame' when needed.

The RR is simply a beast when unleashed, especially >10K, and can take any unsuspecting rider by surprise. I've put the HP4 through its paces in every mode and consider it tame to amazingly mind numbing depending on what 'I' ask of it.

Both my son and daughter have been on it (from SV1K) and love it. Dialed down, it's still a handful so make sure it's setup for you and your weight, riding style and enjoy or sell it before it tosses you into the ditch.
GroundZero and Armando Marini like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode