Custom 1-Piece Suit - Options? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom 1-Piece Suit - Options?

I'm thinking of getting a custom 1-piece suit. The biggest reason I'm thinking custom is to get something fits everywhere rather than compromising one part of the body just to get the suit to fit another part.

Who do you recommend for a kangaroo in the 2k-ish price range (less is obviously ok if there is a good option)? I've looked a little at Ballistik and Heroic, but I haven't been able to find much feedback on those brands. Are there better options for the money? Please share your comments on those brands or others you have experience with.

Also, how do custom suits in that price range compare to the upper end of the mass manufactured suits from Alpinestars, Spidi, etc (Race Replica or T-2 ...) in terms of durability, breath-ability, and overall quality? Presumably they have equal or better comfort since they are custom.

TIA
horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Check out Helimot

Have you checked out Helimot? helimot.com
The price range is what you are looking for and this guys suits are really well made. U can choose your leather(cowhide deerskin kangaroo) and styling/colors. He takes 6 weeks to make them, but they are fully hand-made and he is very elaborate and thorough.
A lot of Racers use his stuff.
varunrajg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

vanson makes some nice custom suits and they are comparable in price with alpinestar,dainese and spidi. you can go to their website and price out a suit with all the options you want. also download a fitment sheet off their site to take all of your measurements.
bsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Is your body shape/proportions abnormal? I ask because many think they need a custom suit. However, if you have someone of a normal physique, you should look at getting a high end RR suit of similar.

I was going to go the custom route and then got with TJ over at Riders Discount, gave him my dimensions/weight/etc.... he recommended getting an Alpinestars RR suit. The thing fits me like it was custom made for me. Obviously I'm a lucky one with a physique that fits the RR suit. But maybe you are too? If not, custom may be the way to go.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Is your body shape/proportions abnormal? I ask because many think they need a custom suit. However, if you have someone of a normal physique, you should look at getting a high end RR suit of similar.
I think I'm slightly abnormal. According to Alpinestars size guide, my chest is about 2-3 sizes bigger than my waist and 1-2 sizes bigger than my inseam. Maybe it is ok to be 1 or 2 sizes too big in the waist? Maybe more importantly, I worry about where the knee protection will fall if I go with an inseam size that is 1-2 sizes to big. When you are standing up (not in the riding position), where does your knee protection fall? Does it feel like it is low?

I have a Tech 1-R jacket, and I don't know if I could drop the size unless the suits fit looser than the jacket does. Maybe I should try to find one of the high end suits first, but aren't the high end suits similar in price to a custom?
horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ballistik's cowhide and kangaroo suits are incredible. I own a custom Ballistik kangaroo, a custom Pilot, and a custom RS Taichi. The Ballistik is the suit I pull each and every time...it's like pajamas on the track!!!
100% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have Heroic and Vanson leathers. The Heroic leathers are so much lighter, it's like wearing nothing. Putting those Vanson leathers on at the track in August feels like I'm about to step into hell.

That said, I've crashed a LOT in those Vanson leathers and they are still serviceable.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horns View Post
I think I'm slightly abnormal. According to Alpinestars size guide, my chest is about 2-3 sizes bigger than my waist and 1-2 sizes bigger than my inseam. Maybe it is ok to be 1 or 2 sizes too big in the waist? Maybe more importantly, I worry about where the knee protection will fall if I go with an inseam size that is 1-2 sizes to big. When you are standing up (not in the riding position), where does your knee protection fall? Does it feel like it is low?

I have a Tech 1-R jacket, and I don't know if I could drop the size unless the suits fit looser than the jacket does. Maybe I should try to find one of the high end suits first, but aren't the high end suits similar in price to a custom?
My chest is 3 sizes bigger than my waist and 5!! sizes bigger than my inseam. You'll be fine in the waist, it's not a huge issue. If the inseam is that much of an issue (it's really not even an issue for me, but I'm a perfectionist) you can always have that shortened for like 150 bucks at any good sew shop.
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

+1 for Ballistik. Awesome work on their stuff.
2008 Ducati Desmosidici #187 - Team Colors.
Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Events | D-Store Chicago
M GmbH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement