Windshield scratch repair - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Windshield scratch repair

So the f%*&ing cat climbed up on my bike overnight and slid down the windscreen. There's a big surface scratch on it now but it's not deep. What product can buff this out?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Motorcycle.com Free App

2009 Suzuki DR650 with a DR250 fender conversion incl led plate light, full FMF exhaust, jetted, Bark Busters, Grips, Cross Bar, wider front fender, IRC knobbies, Showa Shock, Bags...
andy and the r man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I lot of us have stock windshields sitting around. Some should have one mint for. A good price.

Mad Yellow Bumble Bee

Last edited by yangins; 11-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.
yangins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

You might try the kit that they sell to buff out headlights on cars.
RobCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Andy and the r man,

You might try a product by the name of NOVUS. It comes in three (3) varieties, and maybe more all of which are advertised as Plastic clean and Shine.

NOVUS 1 would clean face shields and windshields of say bugs and grim, etc. NOVUS 2 will take scratches out of plastic, and clear coat on paint. I forget what NOVUS 3 is for. I use NOVUS 1 &2. I would recommend you try NOVUS 2 on your windscreen. It can't hurt. I apply it with my finger, no cloth and gently rub the scratch(s) until gone and then clean with a soft cloth (t-shirt), etc. It may take several applications. If you need one of those headlight buffing kits, you are far beyond Novus!

Good Luck,

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have one of the plexi polishing/repair kits and have used it a few times. It does work, but it takes a long time and a lot of patience. One issue is that some screens have a hard-coating to protect the softer plastic underneath and deep scratches will have penetrated the hard coating. This means you have to sand off the coating to get to the scratches. You can polish it back up to be reasonably clear, but there will be a noticeable outline around the area where it transitions from the coated to the uncoated and the uncoated area will tend to scratch much more easily.

My overall take - you can do a decent job with enough work, but don't expect it to be "like new" or perfect. If you're Okay with aftermarket screens, most are available in the $90 range and it might not be worth the trouble. If you want to stick the OEM screens (which cost $200 or so), then it might make more sense. And as someone else said, if you just want a stock screen, there are a lot of them floating around in the used market fairly cheap.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You'd better do something with that cat before you do anything with the windscreen.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your probably wasting your time trying to buff out scratches in plastic. I'd try to pick up a stock one on the cheap or upgrade.
2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

2010 BMW S1000RR
ABS-DTC-Shift Assist
Fastest Color Motorsport
AMPforE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
You'd better do something with that cat before you do anything with the windscreen.
that was funny....I learned the hard way myself that cats and bikes in the same garage don't mix...
acm_s1krr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

30+ years ago I polished scratches out of Huey chin bubbles and greenhouse windows using something called Micro Mesh.

It is basically very fine abrasive sheets starting about 1200 grit and going down to something like 12,000 grit.

It takes a lot of time and water, but if you do it right you will never know there was a scratch.

Check Sporty's Pilot Shop

Last edited by Hanketsu; 11-26-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Hanketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Remove it from the bike and take it to a body shop, in 15 minutes they can buff it up like new. Unfortunatly if there are any coatings on the screen they will be gone. I like to use a good sealant with uv protector after.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement