Floating Front Rotors: Yes or No? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Our rotors freely float. Take the bolts off and you'll see how the bushings are mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM

they float way more than the standard brembo rotors with buttons.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Garage
I was concerned I had a loose steering head bearing but to my surprise its just the movement in the front rotors, mine move maybe a mill or so when cold, enough to make an audible click when rocking the bike with the front brake on, Or I can just grab the rotor and make it move slightly. All the screws are tight. Glad I read this before taking into the dealer to have them look at it. Thanks. Can anyone else move the rotor like mine? I have an 11 with 9500 miles
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemdubu View Post
I was concerned I had a loose steering head bearing but to my surprise its just the movement in the front rotors, mine move maybe a mill or so when cold, enough to make an audible click when rocking the bike with the front brake on, Or I can just grab the rotor and make it move slightly. All the screws are tight. Glad I read this before taking into the dealer to have them look at it. Thanks. Can anyone else move the rotor like mine? I have an 11 with 9500 miles
Mines exactly the same. This is normal.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Well Guys,

I'm getting a HP4 and it has Brembo floating rotors, so I won't have to wonder anymore if I have them or not. My understanding of a "floating" rotor, i.e. one on a hat with "buttons" was to allow some left to right movement of the disc, thereby promoting alignment with the fixed calipers on most motorcycles and to allow better radial expansion of the disc to help dissipate heat buildup.

The manner in which the standard rotors on the S1kRR "float" appears to me to be in a forward/rearward manner. At low speeds this sometimes produces a clicking noise, reminiscent of loose steering head bearings. While these may be floating rotors, they do not, in my estimation assist in the benefits of floating rotors as outlined above.

Can't wait to try the HP4

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode