Front end shaking when coming to a stop - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Front end shaking when coming to a stop

Hi everyone.
I have had this issue with my 2012 s1000rr since day 1 with 0 miles
About 1 time of 20 complete stops the front end of the bike shakes. It happens during mild to medium braking but starts shaking at around 10mph to a stop. It never does this while slowing at higher speeds. Only when almost at a complete stop.

I took the bike to a dealer and they could not replicate the problem. It's rare but very discomforting when it happens.

There is a rapid clicking noise associated with the shake.
The shake is not from side to side but rather forward backwards and up and down motion. It may also resemble abs kicking in but it happens under very mild braking. I don't feel the brake lever kicking back at my finger tips but I do feel the vibration through both hands (I think)

The rapidness of the shaking associated with the rapid clicking sound is approx 5-10 clicks per second.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you.
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

+1 from me too.

While I'm not worried about it, I would be keen to know the exact cause.

I defiantly feel a pulsating action through the break lever when it occurs.

While I know it is not due to extreme braking, I have always associated it with the ABS unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
MisterStrudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well add me to the group. I reported this to my dealer who could not tell me the cause. Definitely no pulsing in the lever so if it is ABS it is not from nearing lock up. It occurs exactly as noamkrief reports, at mild brake inputs and near complete stop.

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The way this ABS works you will never feel pulsating at the lever, that's old school car stuff. Having said that, I don't think that what you are feeling is ABS, but some other kind of vibration under light braking. If it was the ABS system then I would expect the light to come on. Mine has done this a few times, and braking harder stops the vibration, at least for me anyway.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with my Ducati. From the time I brought the bike home, the pads began to wear funny. For some reason the bike would occasionally pulse like that when coming to a stop. I changed the pads and it was fine. Okay, the brakes were fine. But I put 9,000 more miles on the bike and the pulsing didn't come back.

I'm not saying it's definitely the cause on the BMW, but you can always pull your pads and see if they are wearing funny. It looked like mild chunking. This is just my shitty theory, but I think the pads didn't fit the calipers properly and would occasionally get cocked.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default the same shake

I have the same shake on slow to mild front braking at slow speeds...
but i guees is normal cause my old cbr1krr 04 did the same one in a while...
bmw is not the exeption... my bike had 11k km
evildrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wonder if the steering head nut is torqued correctly?
RansomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Glad I have a 2010, just kidding.

Hope you all get this figured out, seems like something is a miss.

Triple
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

About 100 people have viewed this thread, and only about 6 confirmed they have this issue. So lets say this issue occurs in about 5% of S1000RR.

I'd say the issue is not normal and we shouldn't have to live with it.

Has anyone figured out how to replicate the issue? If I can figure out how to make it happen then I can ask the dealer to testride my bike again.

I noticed it's more common while coming to a stop on a less than perfect road. Little bit of bumps help bring out the issue.

Yesterday I came to a complete stop while turning to the right and felt the shaking very bad.

I have a 2011 Ninja and my girlfriend has a 2006 Gixxer and non of those bikes ever had this issue. I'd say NOT NORMAL! and i'm afraid something is loose and unsafe.
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Same issue with my 2012
Alter ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement