Front end shaking when coming to a stop - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Guys, this may be of help.
I had this exact same issue and reported it when I went in for my 600 mi service. This is on a 2011. The technician said, let me do a few things - and he tightened the steering head nut and torqued it to spec.

I didnt have the issue from then onwards until the next service. Now its back.
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamkrief View Post
About 100 people have viewed this thread, and only about 6 confirmed they have this issue. So lets say this issue occurs in about 5% of S1000RR.

I'd say the issue is not normal and we shouldn't have to live with it.

Has anyone figured out how to replicate the issue? If I can figure out how to make it happen then I can ask the dealer to testride my bike again.

I noticed it's more common while coming to a stop on a less than perfect road. Little bit of bumps help bring out the issue.

Yesterday I came to a complete stop while turning to the right and felt the shaking very bad.

I have a 2011 Ninja and my girlfriend has a 2006 Gixxer and non of those bikes ever had this issue. I'd say NOT NORMAL! and i'm afraid something is loose and unsafe.
I don't have the issue, but not saying it isn't a real one. Curious though, in an earlier post regarding the Panigale incident you said you had never ridden or owned a bike before,

" Hey everyone,I purchased the Ducati about 1 and 1/2 months ago just in a spur of the moment - I WANTED A BIKE!
Never ridden a bike before, I had to call up my friend and have him ride my new Duke home from the dealership for me. I took the riding course 3 days later and got my MC endorsement"

Now you have a 2011 "Ninja"?

Also seems you have a LOT of problems with this new bike from your posts:

-cold start, idles then dies ( 1 2)
noamkrief 09-30-2012 02:57 AM

-quickshiter problems - too stiff!
noamkrief 09-23-2012 12:19 AM

-engine low on power all the sudden
noamkrief

Just sayin...

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"
Jagman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

RansomT, thanks for reminding me about the steering head bearing. That's the first thing I thought of cause that's exactly what it feels like. But steering head bearing checked out okay. Not saying this is not the cause in others, and probably worth checking just to rule it out.

I've notice mine mostly in my carport, i.e. smooth surface and proceeding straight.

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman View Post
I don't have the issue, but not saying it isn't a real one. Curious though, in an earlier post regarding the Panigale incident you said you had never ridden or owned a bike before,

" Hey everyone,I purchased the Ducati about 1 and 1/2 months ago just in a spur of the moment - I WANTED A BIKE!
Never ridden a bike before, I had to call up my friend and have him ride my new Duke home from the dealership for me. I took the riding course 3 days later and got my MC endorsement"

Now you have a 2011 "Ninja"?

Also seems you have a LOT of problems with this new bike from your posts:

-cold start, idles then dies ( 1 2)
noamkrief 09-30-2012 02:57 AM

-quickshiter problems - too stiff!
noamkrief 09-23-2012 12:19 AM

-engine low on power all the sudden
noamkrief

Just sayin...
thanks for stalking me.

Quickshifter issue solved. The HP levers I purchased weren't clicking the switch to let the ECU know that the clutch is disengaged.

Cold starts engine dying just went away by its own

Engine low on power was because of accidental 87 octane gas. I dumped the gas out and put 92 and after about 100 miles, the computer relearned the proper timing and it's got plenty of power.

Yes - I purchased a 2011 ninja as a dedicated track bike because i'm new and don't want to lay down the S1000RR

I also ordered an HP4 competition package and I'm also looking to buy another bike - been looking into the Triumph Daytona.

The issue with the front end chattering is obviously a REAL one. if what you are insinuating is that I can't identify issues since i'm a new rider, that's idiotic. A new rider can easily identify issues such as engine dying on idle, shaking during braking, loss of power and quickshifter not working properly. Also - a bike like the 1199 burning my legs. A thing I can't identify by being new is balance and handling characteristics, but even then - I probably could by now having ridden a variety of bikes now...

Just sayin...

Last edited by noamkrief; 11-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have the same shake at low speeds when coming to a stop on my 2012. Dealer said it was the ABS when I took it in for the 600 mile service yesterday. I haven't ridden it yet, so I don't know if torquing the steering bearing has / had and effect on it.

To whomever mentioned 100 thread views - Those are not unique views, it goes up each time someone opens the thread to read, could be 20 people opened it 5 times each to read new posts. Also not everyone on here has a bike.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

We have free floating rotors on are bike, it might be they are slightly out of line with groves in pads or maybe your rotors are slightly warped. Get the gauge at auto zone and check them
Stang10189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Head bearing was the first thing that came to mind when I read this post. I'd check torque but I believe most dealers were doing that at the 600mile service. Might not be a bad idea to check all of the front end bolts,pinch bolts etc. Check your tires to make sure they do not have any small flats spots from setting the bike down after long wheelies. Warped Calipers might be a possibility but you should be able to notice them under hard braking. Doubt it's a wheel bearing but if your riding all weather its never a bad idea to keep the bike lubed. Have you tried stoping with just the rear brake to see if you can replicate the issuue? Of course it will take longer to come to a stop and it wouldn't put as much weight/stress on the front end but its an easy way to take the front brakes out of trouble shooting process.
Rubber side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

def. not the abs intrude...
im more like the floating rotors that the headnut or that things....
its like the clutch "grind" in a racing cars...
but here in the front brakes at slow speeds.
evildrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

If rotors are properly floating, you won't notice any rotor imperfections. If your rotor buttons/mounts are jammed up with brake dust, they'll feel warped all the time. But you can spray them with brake cleaner to mark one more issue off your checklist.

I'm just curious if anyone of you guys who are having the problem have pulled your pads and inspected them like I suggested. Sounds like the exact issue I had with my Ducati.
Tony216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Something to check that I've had on cars and vans. If the abs exciter ring is warped it can cause the abs to activate under light braking conditions. If you can try to view the clearance between the sensor and exciter ring whilst rotating the wheel 360 degrees and check the gap remains constant on both front and rear wheels. There should be no deviation in air gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Marcus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement