Don't try this with your s1000rr... - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Don't try this with your s1000rr...

Don't try this... 1) Let bike sit in garage for a week. 2) Start it up, let idle for several minutes. 3) And then, rapidly twist the throttle. Instantly died. Wouldn't fire back up for the day.

I was able to repeat that problem. I believe my injectors may have been gummed up with stale fuel. Slowly rolling on the throttle prevented that from happening.

Next time, I'm just hopping on the bike to ride. Enough of this warming up while inspecting the bike. Also, this was the first time I neglected my bike for an entire week.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Hmmm interesting. I had knee surgery and let it sit for two weeks and a friend came over who wanted to hear it rev up. Did exactly what you said not to do and didn't have any issues, it just ripped and roared out of that akro like a pissed off demon!

Sent from my iPhone using App
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM
back in jan. i let her sit for 4 mo. and fired up ran like day one new , i use 76 gas or chevron .

SO.CAL.we ride all year long
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah you might wanna look into that further, I consistantly have at least a week in between rides, definitely not on purpose, there has even been a two weeker in there and it starts up fine. I still haven't put on my battery maintainer either which i need to do asap. But as far as idling the book says start her and go of course not redlining it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Gas doesn't go bad in a week... or a month. I've let my bikes sit from Nov to March (winter) with untreated gas without any issues starting or running because of gas.

Now battery issues are a whole different story. I'd check the battery voltage across the posts, cold and at idle.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
mine sat from Jan-Sept. with 93 octane BP treated with seafoam, and at first she acted as if she didnt want to start. Turns out my battery tender failed me. After replacing the OEM with a heavy duty autozone battery, she fired right up and I gave her throttle while idling and she cut off as well but immediately started back up. I let it idle for about a minute and then went around the block and it rode fine....
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode