Faster, faster & waaay the hell faster! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Faster, faster & waaay the hell faster!

So I bought my 2010 motorsport edition sk1 earlier this year with 3k miles on it from a 63 yr old gentleman who did not find it comfortable to ride. I immediately dyno'd it & got like 175 hp with 82 torque. He had just added the full evo akro before selling it to me. I put a BMC filter on and have been riding this thing HARD for the past 8 months putting on 3k miles in the high rev range (like it was stolen!) I have been taken aback by how much faster the bike feels?!?! I mean the damn thing feels like a different bike so much so that I went back to the same place today to run the same dyno because this thing feels scary fast....lifting the wheel all over the place in slick mode and I'm 250 lbs! (It did not do this before). The dyno result today? 200.9 HP @ 12850 RPM and 90 torque. Can someone please explain what the hell happened? I mean, that is a huge difference and I do feel every bit of that difference but did the ecu adjust to the exhaust and filter? Did it need time to break in? What the hell happened?? Im not complaining at all but am genuinely puzzled by the angry monster this thing has become lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

I think there are a few reasons, most of which you've already listed, but that is still a hugh difference and a bit surprising.

Even the same Dyno will list different numbers on different days depending on weather, humidity etc, but again, still out of the normal range. I have a R1200RT and it didn't break in until 10,000 miles.

Triple
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
sbs

I am finding that these bikes get better and better with the miles. I have 42,000+ miles on mine now and the gearbox is far better than it was at 2000 miles, the bike feels faster as well. I think the manufacturing tolerances are so tight with this engine, that wear significantly frees them up.

I am also finding that they are VERY sensitive to fuel. I find that here in California my bike does best on Chevron 91 octane.. It is good on Shell and not so good on Arco.

Cheers.
sbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I had my bike put on the dyno earlier this year when it had a little over 9,000 miles and about 10 track days, the dyno operator indicated that my bike was about 5 hp stronger on average than other S1000RRs that he had previously worked on and said that it was likely due to the mileage and how it had been ridden at the track.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

As I understand you have no pcv and you have your o2 sensors plugged in, correct?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik08 View Post
So I bought my 2010 motorsport edition sk1 earlier this year with 3k miles on it from a 63 yr old gentleman who did not find it comfortable to ride. I immediately dyno'd it & got like 175 hp with 82 torque. He had just added the full evo akro before selling it to me. I put a BMC filter on and have been riding this thing HARD for the past 8 months putting on 3k miles in the high rev range (like it was stolen!) I have been taken aback by how much faster the bike feels?!?! I mean the damn thing feels like a different bike so much so that I went back to the same place today to run the same dyno because this thing feels scary fast....lifting the wheel all over the place in slick mode and I'm 250 lbs! (It did not do this before). The dyno result today? 200.9 HP @ 12850 RPM and 90 torque. Can someone please explain what the hell happened? I mean, that is a huge difference and I do feel every bit of that difference but did the ecu adjust to the exhaust and filter? Did it need time to break in? What the hell happened?? Im not complaining at all but am genuinely puzzled by the angry monster this thing has become lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
You did not gain 26HP from just riding the bike. Too many variables.
the_gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nik08,

Experience reveals that modification(s) such as you have made, i.e. an exhaust and air filter should increase the horsepower by about 5% to 7%. Thus we have:

193 Crank HP Times 5% = 9.65 Hp, for a total of 202.65 Crank HP.

193 Crank HP Times 7% = 13.5 HP, for a total of 206.5 crank HP.

These figures are in line with most dyno results reported on this forum.

Whereas, you have 175 RWHP (about the normal net) being increased to 200 HP for an increase of about 14.5%. This would mean that this bike is now developing 220.985 Crank HP for an increase of almost 28 HP from just an exhaust and air filter swap. In other words about two (2) the maximum improvement to be expected. I would suspect Dyno input error of some sort, but you report a tremendous "seat of the pants" increase also.

I'm at a loss to explain this save to say, that in my experience something is amiss, as this much gain from the modifications reported is impossible.

Curtis

PS: I have just reread your post, and it appears that NO modifications other than maybe an air filter were made after the original Dyno thus leaving us to conclude that you have gained about 28 Crank HP by hard riding. I'm sorry, but it just ain't possible.

CC

Last edited by cwcary; 11-20-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Add Post Script
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Da onliest thing I knows is that I have a 2010 S1K with a filter and slip-on and it's faster'n a scalded ass rabbit as it is. Only thing missin' is a cup holder for my Geritol shots!

2010 S1000RR - White/Blue/Red
2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000
2008 Suzuki M-109R LE
2008 Kawasaki Teryx
R1HOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

@nik08

Any chance you would post up the before and after dyno sheets?

Would be interesting if you gained power through the whole rev range or just at the top end?
bahkhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tms217

I assume these are both corrected dyno numbers?
Advertisement