Bike totaled after Sandy. Need mechanical insight ASAP!!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion


» Insurance
» Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
jdmtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Default Bike totaled after Sandy. Need mechanical insight ASAP!!!

So the insurance co deemed my bike as a total loss after being flooded by Sandy. They gave me the option to keep it for 32% of the value of the bike. Is it worth buyimg it back. The electrical i still fine for now but there is water in the block. Is it worth paying 32% of the value and attempting to flush the block and the heads out and to turn it into a track bike?? From my understanding, I can take the oil pan off and spray it with a bunch of degreasers with a couple of dry cranks, replace the spark plugs and suck the water out of the heads and hope tor the best???? I figure if its appraised at $11k, its $3520 + the deductable to buy it back and worst case scenario I see motors for 3.5K on ebay. Or should I just take the $$$ and its not worth messing with it since salt water is not very friendly with anything mechanical. Thanks for the advice.
jdmtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
RIQUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Down South. On the cold side
Posts: 846
Default

If the engine was not started with water inside and no hydrolocking occured you could just removed the plugs, drain and replace the oil and turn the engine. I would have done that since day one and not let the water sit there. Any how the engine has oil inside and no major damages as far as corrosion should have occured. If I were you I would try what I suggest and then make a decision. Chances are it will turn and run fine after a couple of minutes.
__________________
Life Rewards Action.
He who is not afraid is safe!
A zest for living requires a willlingness to die!
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BUZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DIRTY SOUTH WALES
Posts: 1,181
Default

You can flush out the engine but id have a good look down the barrels for any crap in them as you start it and you score the barrels the engine is ruined,so if you decide to keep it id split the head and cylinder block off it
__________________
2011 motor sport s1krr,puig dark screen,watson flush turn signals,hp levers,hp rearsets,pcv,k&n race filter with custom map,austin racing gp2 inconel and titanium exhaust system,sharkskinz belly pan and stock panels custom painted,r&g crash protection,gb racing engine covers,factory pro detent spring,symmetrical smoked headlight covers,pro suspension set up and one crazy rider..!!!!
BUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 60
Default

If water entered the bore it will corroded very quickly. If you keep it I'd strip the bike to a frame inspect, dry, clean and grease everything. The engine I'd strip to a block, clean, inspect and replace parts as required. You should only need gaskets but as mentioned earlier any crap in the bore will cause a rapid piston failure


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Marcus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 772
Default

I would also negotiate the buy back price, that seems high!

I read recently that someone else was able to buy back their bike for around $1900.
bmwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stang10189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Margate Florida
Posts: 675
Default

do not take the initial offer from the insurance company. Like I said above negotiate with them you should be able to get the bike for around 2 grand
Stang10189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© S1000RRforum.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum