OEM Heated Grips: 2012 Retrofit - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default OEM Heated Grips: 2012 Retrofit

I have a 2012, ordered with heated grips, delivered without due to recall (long story). Anyway dealer has acquired the BMW OEM heated grips and is going to install them, assuming my wiring harness has the connectors.

Since this is a first for me and also for the dealership, I was looking for any helpful hints, warnings, BOLOs, etc. I searched but did not find anything pertinent, since most people who wanted heated grips on 2012s just ordered the bike so equipped, and, and since the price is more than twice the OEM when retrofitted. I have a "deal" in place for mine so it's worth doing for me.

Any suggestions, etc.

Thanking you, in advance,

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm having them added to my 2012. The price is only 225 dollars and that includes the new right hand button cluster with the button to operate the grips. The dealer will put them on and then they just have to turn the option on inside the bike's computer. I'm having it done during my 600 mile service.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

My dealer told me there was no wiring harness on the non heated grip spec bikes. Report back what ends up happening, hopefully my dealer is wrong.
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLivn13 View Post
My dealer told me there was no wiring harness on the non heated grip spec bikes. Report back what ends up happening, hopefully my dealer is wrong.
Probably dropping my bike off next weekend to get the service done, I'll defiantly report back.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all,

Keep those cards and letters coming.

Reject, I'm surprised but happy if your upgrade only costs you $225.

Dylivn, I'm almost certain there is but one (1) wiring harness and per force, would include the "hookup" for the heated grips. I believe either your dealer is mistaken, or does not wish to undertake the job. I'll let you what we know when we "open her up".

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was in the same situation. My dealer (Pandora Motorsports in Chattanooga,TN) installed them at 600 mile service and they have worked great w/o any problems. They really help to make chillier weather much more enjoyable.
rroobbcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroobbcc View Post
I was in the same situation. My dealer (Pandora Motorsports in Chattanooga,TN) installed them at 600 mile service and they have worked great w/o any problems. They really help to make chillier weather much more enjoyable.
How much did they charge?
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcary View Post

Reject, I'm surprised but happy if your upgrade only costs you $225.

Curtis
That's just for the parts, I'm sure some labor will be tacked on during the 600 mile service.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

someone should find a way to post a "how-to" and orchestrate a group buy on the parts
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just called an ordered the parts, I was originally quoted wrong. The 225 was for the left and right heated grips, but not the new right control with the button.

The control was another 235 dollars. Hopefully I can sell my stock control and recoup some of the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement