OEM Heated Grips: 2012 Retrofit - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject View Post
I just called an ordered the parts, I was originally quoted wrong. The 225 was for the left and right heated grips, but not the new right control with the button.

The control was another 235 dollars. Hopefully I can sell my stock control and recoup some of the money.
can you list the part numbers you had to order? i thin there's a few of us that will be doing this along side you
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vactor View Post
can you list the part numbers you had to order? i thin there's a few of us that will be doing this along side you
I just called the dealer and told them what I wanted. I'm dropping my bike off Thursday for the 600 mile service, I'll see if I can get the part numbers then.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well Reject,

I didn't want to say anything, but I'm close with my dealer and the retail on those parts for my bike was in the neighborhood of $550, which is now in line with your latest report, and of course, there's still the labor. A whole lot more than the $250 if the bike was ordered from the factory with the grips.

Anyway, I'm excited about getting them, scheduled for Nov 24th. Will make that New Years day run a bit more pleasant.

Good luck, and please note any issues, caveats, etc encountered during the installation, so I can alert my guys.

Thanks,

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

I had to replace a busted left control when I bought a 2012 that was crashed. I noticed that the wiring harness does have a 2 pin connector that is in the left control, and Im relatively certain that it is for the heated grips.

The control was also ripped in half from the force of the crash, so I took a look at the insides. the 2pin connector was clipped into a cap that wasnt connected to anything. Since the bike I bought DID NOT have heated grips, I took a look at my buddies, who had the heated grips. His bike controls were different since it had the button for the heated grips and that was connected by that 2pin connector.
The Halo Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Halo Era View Post
I had to replace a busted left control when I bought a 2012 that was crashed. I noticed that the wiring harness does have a 2 pin connector that is in the left control, and Im relatively certain that it is for the heated grips.

The control was also ripped in half from the force of the crash, so I took a look at the insides. the 2pin connector was clipped into a cap that wasnt connected to anything. Since the bike I bought DID NOT have heated grips, I took a look at my buddies, who had the heated grips. His bike controls were different since it had the button for the heated grips and that was connected by that 2pin connector.
Wrong. The small 2 pinconnector is for the grips, there is one on either side. The connector for the switch is integrated is the 8 (or 6) pin connector.
MasterTommy NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTommy NL View Post
Wrong. The small 2 pinconnector is for the grips, there is one on either side. The connector for the switch is integrated is the 8 (or 6) pin connector.
I think that was what i was saying, about the 2 pin being for the grips, but I did not know about the connector for the switch being integrated to the other connector.

My question is... Would you be able to install yourself, if all you need was the control with the heated grips switch/botton? Do all the wiring harnesses come ready for the heated grips, and just need the different controls?

Im basically asking to see if its something I could do instead of paying a dealership to do it.
The Halo Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Halo Era View Post
I think that was what i was saying, about the 2 pin being for the grips, but I did not know about the connector for the switch being integrated to the other connector.

My question is... Would you be able to install yourself, if all you need was the control with the heated grips switch/botton? Do all the wiring harnesses come ready for the heated grips, and just need the different controls?

Im basically asking to see if its something I could do instead of paying a dealership to do it.
You can instal them yourself. They won't work until the dealership "retrofits" them with the shop computer (MOSS PC). Not sure if the GS 911 can do it but probably not as retrofits are in the "programming" part of MOSS and not the "diagnostics" part.

So they won't charge you for install but they will probably charge you for "retrofitting". Half hour maybe (depends on dealership and your relationship with them).
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Grips are installed and working!

Though the operation is a little weird, after turning the bike off, when you turn it back on it default to the last setting you had the warmers set to.

If they are off, then when you turn the bike back on they are off.
If they are on level 1, when you turn the bike back on they are on level 1.
If they are on level 2, when you turn the bike back on they are on level 2.

You'd think they would default to off every time you took the key out.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Part numbers -

Switch - (61 31 8 529 356)
Throttle Tube / Grip - (61 31 8 522 476)
Left Grip - (61 31 7 708 227)

Dealer charged 1 hour to install and program.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject View Post
Part numbers -

Switch - (61 31 8 529 356)
Throttle Tube / Grip - (61 31 8 522 476)
Left Grip - (61 31 7 708 227)

Dealer charged 1 hour to install and program.

What was the total cost?
DyLivn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement