Had a small accident today - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

GLAD YOU ARE ok....
pekespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks everyone for the comments! Really made me feel better. SwaggerJacker my BMW is a 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
flwbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwbyu View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments! Really made me feel better. SwaggerJacker my BMW is a 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Has your bike got a drop sensor fitted to it? If it does not and it idles for to long when on it's side, it can destroy the motor.
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

We thank God you are ok. Please make sure you check the engine oil level,it is oil that burned off as white smoke....whenever the bike or its motor is tipped on the side for a while,oil finds its way into the combustion chamber.cheers!
jonwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

What all is damaged on the bike? Did you check the side cases of the motor? Fairings scraped up pretty bad? You could have oil seeping out and burning off on the side/bottom of the motor.

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

elguyos1krr, sucks that no one stopped to help you! Even worse to have the wind knocked out of you.

Evolx, I would love to start wrenching myself. Never done it but would love to learn. I guess no time like the present.

Arrie, I had the drop sensor installed as part of a recall about a year or so ago. By the time I stopped sliding across the ground, the motorcycle had turned itself off and the hazard lights started to blink. Pretty awesome actually. I did not actually remember all of this until much later. It all seems like a blur, bits and pieces of my memory. There was SO much traffic going around me, I was just trying to get out of the way.

jonwil, pimpedc6, I checked and scrutinized the motorcycle today. Luckily the mechanic at the BMW dealership had marked several of the bolt points across the motorcycle with some paint. So, I could see exactly what had shifted or moved. I had to tighten and loosen several bolts to get everything aligned again to match the marks. No leaks thus far that I can see. The oil level looks correct but seems slightly dark or dirty to me through the small round window.

I'm feeling much better today albeit a little sore. Rode the motorcycle into work this morning and into the rain this evening. Had to use some tools including a big hammer to try and straighten out several pieces. The fairing on the back had split apart but luckily, I was able to snap it back together. The engine case cover took some damage but can be replaced. Again, thanks everyone of the comments!

flwbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
elguyos1krr, sucks that no one stopped to help you! Even worse to have the wind knocked out of you.

Evolx, I would love to start wrenching myself. Never done it but would love to learn. I guess no time like the present.

Arrie, I had the drop sensor installed as part of a recall about a year or so ago. By the time I stopped sliding across the ground, the motorcycle had turned itself off and the hazard lights started to blink. Pretty awesome actually. I did not actually remember all of this until much later. It all seems like a blur, bits and pieces of my memory. There was SO much traffic going around me, I was just trying to get out of the way.

jonwil, pimpedc6, I checked and scrutinized the motorcycle today. Luckily the mechanic at the BMW dealership had marked several of the bolt points across the motorcycle with some paint. So, I could see exactly what had shifted or moved. I had to tighten and loosen several bolts to get everything aligned again to match the marks. No leaks thus far that I can see. The oil level looks correct but seems slightly dark or dirty to me through the small round window.

Gla to hear everything worked out. These marked bolts you are talking about.... I've seen that before on my previous bike. Tell me what would you have done if the bolts were not marked. Which bolts did you have to re-align?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
***1 TRACK DAY = More than 4 years (25,000 miles) of riding ***
Jebac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Your experience with a slick spot on the road should make us all be hyper-vigilant about things like this. I know I'll (try to) be more so. We're all glad you are OK. I hope to never go through something like that....and hope your bike will be OK, too!

But these things are sometimes hard to pick up. Even a simple thing like gassing up your bike can lead you into trouble. A week or so ago, I gassed up while on a long ride, and when I left the station it felt like my boots were slipping on the pegs. WTF? I pulled over and checked, and - sure enough - they were slick with some oily sh*t. I then thought: My tires! Well, they didn't pick up what it was, but I must have stood in some oil or something at the gas station. But it COULD have been on my tires, had I parked a little to one side or the other at the pump. Might have dumped the bike on exiting the station, and ruined a perfectly good day. Have to remind myself to look at the ground near any gas pump...you never know.

Last edited by flyrider; 08-15-2013 at 06:57 PM.
flyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

THe main thing is that you are ok. But I am sorry about your bike, that must SUCK to have to deal with that..........
S1000MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I felt like an idiot even though I know I did everything right.
I normally consider my rides where I did everything right the ones that end up without the bike falling over. Just saying

On a side note, a couple questions. I'm guessing you low-sided. Was traction control on, and if so, in what mode? I know TC won't prevent this from happening in every scenario, but it can help tremendously if acceleration is the cause of the rear tire losing traction (Which I'm guessing it wasn't in this scenario).

Glad you're alright and to hear how relatively well the bike fared.
Advertisement