LOOOOOONG term storage - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LOOOOOONG term storage

I am in the military and have gotten screwed by volunteering for a 1 year duty that is going to turn into 3 years or so in the middle east. Im going to put the bike into storage instead of selling it, and don't talk me out of it I've made up my mind and wont have to make payments anyways while in a combat zone (soldiers&sailors relief act). What do i need to do as far as maintenance and stuff? I don't have a family or anybody else to help me out on this.

Last edited by BallisticMT; 11-02-2012 at 07:49 PM.
BallisticMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sell the bike.
the_gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off, thank you for your service.

The concern I have first off is the quality of the fuel after 3 years even with Fuel stabilizer in it but regardless you will need to treat the fuel for storage. Hopefully there is power and you have the battery hooked up to a charger/maintainer. in 3 years the tires will be dried out enough I would not trust to ride on them but you may want to get some nice pitbull stands front and rear to keep the bike off the tires. Also fog the motor so it is protected (very important). Will smoke some when you restart but at least the cylinders have some level of protection while you are away from rusting and seizing. Clean and lube the chain well. rub some oil on the forks to make sure they have a slightly greasy feel to keep any moisture from getting on the forks. Put a coat of wax on the bike and make sure overall it is clean and buy a nice cover for the bike.

Good luck and I hope I didn't forget anything.
BMW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

See if you can work a deal with a shop you trust. Have them store and maintain the bike for a price. But only if you REALLY trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Front and Rear stands
Rear Bobbins
FULL tank of fuel
Fuel stabilizer (I like stabil marine formula)
Battery Tender
Tarp

Add the fuel stabilizer and run it through the motor. I'd ask someone to go and start the bike every four to six months. Also have them add more stabilizer once or twice a year. Make sure the fuel tank stays topped off, it will prevent the inside of the tank from rusting. If they can change the oil once a year that would be ideal too, just incase moisture gets in the crankcase. And finally, stuff a towel in the exhaust and tape up the intake. Keeps bugs and rodents out.
Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sell the bike. I know you didn't want to hear that.
TheGunCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticMT View Post
I am in the military and have gotten screwed by volunteering for a 1 year duty that is going to turn into 3 years or so in the middle east. Im going to put the bike into storage instead of selling it, and don't talk me out of it I've made up my mind and wont have to make payments anyways while in a combat zone (soldiers&sailors relief act). What do i need to do as far as maintenance and stuff? I don't have a family or anybody else to help me out on this.
I'm your brother right? I'll store it in my garage next to mine, keep the battery charged, tires from dry rotting, and make sure you get miles on it so that warranty can be used!

Thanks for the service ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Skygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am doing the same next year(AD) and we might see each other up there, From previous ones I have set my bike on front and rear stands, fuel stabilizer,cover the air box and exhaust. as for the battery you can hook it up to a tender or unhook your ground off and you should be good to go. About no having no one to care for your bike no worries, are you an MT? I used be stationed in Port Hueneme,Ca SEABEES let me know and I can make some phone calls with some of my brothers from down south that might give be able to give you a roof for your bike. Just make sure you leave your bike insured with comprehensive thats all you need. don"t forget that we also get the Interest rates to drop a bit while in combat zone. Take care.
Quote:

Last edited by elguyos1krr; 11-03-2012 at 01:57 AM.
elguyos1krr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
d40

Quote:
If you are AD, you can forget about shamming on that loan. Unless you incurred the debt before you came on AD which mainly applies to guard and reserve folks, then you can not avoid it by claiming the SSRA. USAA or somebody might do you a favor by reducing your CC rate to 6 percent or something, but its not mandatory. You are mainly just protected from them repossessing it if you don't pay the payments or something while you are gone. I got lucky one time and got a certain bank to reduce my rate to 6 percent, and they back dated it to my loan origination date and ended up cutting me a check , but the payments were still due.

To answer your question though, I have had several vehicles/bikes/furniture stored for loooong periods of time on several occasions and have come back to find everything from exploded batteries to rusted chains. Following the advice already posted should help you out, but 3 years is an extremely long time to leave any type of motor vehicle just sitting. If you opt for government storage, a lot of times they have people to start it up and the like and that may be your best option. If you choose to be reimbursed for storage and procure your own, then it may be better to just sell it. Good luck

*edit* And if you sell it, you can come back and buy a brand new second generation S1KRR

Last edited by d40; 11-03-2012 at 02:52 AM.
d40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You will still have to pay the loan. The relief act will only lower your interest rates to a maximum of 6% on debt incurred before entering the military. If you got the debt while in the military the relief act does nothing for you.

I know you said you don't want to but sell it. It will take a lot of work to get it back up and running again. Also do some research on the relief act before you get yourself into a bad situation.

http://www.defense.gov/specials/Relief_Act_Revision/

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jax0238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement