LOOOOOONG term storage - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Im gonna have to find out if gov approved storage will at least start the thing up and run it or if i could give them the battery and such to have it hibernate for a while. Im going to bahrain, hopefully there arent too many crazy riots over there.
BallisticMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

opsec homie... and I'm certain you don't wanna hear it but 3 years is gonna be too long for the girl unless you've got a friend to take care of her... and even then.

Sell her and take the money you would put into payments and toss it into a separate high interest "only while deployed" account as an allotment off your LES so when you get back you can pay cash for the newest model available (and probably pick up a few goodies for her too). Otherwise you're gonna come out of this way behind with a bike that wasn't taken proper care of. You either pay them interest for a bike that is depreciating in years and quality or get paid interest waiting for your brand new one... seriously think about it.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
TJC

you should see if the dealer\bike shop you bought it from will store it at the store in the window or something; i'm also overseas and travel a lot; when i go on travel the bike goes in the shop and i pay them a monthly fee.

if you must store it: overfill the gas all the way to the top with the highest octane you can get (this will help keep water out and help to prevent rust from building up, over fill the oil all the way to the fill cap, that'll keep your head-gasket oiled, internals and all the hoses from dry rotting, hopefully the storage area is temp controlled, drain your coolant and fill with only antifreeze (no water), also put a rag\ towel in the intake that will help stop moisture from getting in there, put the bike up on stands make sure it is secure

when you get back drain all fluids and change prior to starting (first tank of gas should also be the highest octane you can get), check your brake pads, check your tires for cracks, check all of your hoses, change all fluids again after first week\first tank of gas.

when you come back you will have to replace some of the parts mainly hoses, tires, rubber seals if not temp controlled and a new
battery but if you follow the above it should be fine.

if you have family somewhere in the U.S. it might be a better idea to ship the bike to them (shipmybike.com) good guys reasonable prices.

Q's option is also very good if you can find a buyer that won't low ball you. interest rates right now are so low that even if you got 14 grand you might see 14500 in 3 years but things could get better. Unless he was talking about the stockmarket which could go either way really good or really bad....

Missed the part about bahrain you know you can bring it to bahrain and have the gov ship it for you. if not you can use shipmybike.com and they will ship it for about 1800.00 that would solve the whole issue. I was in Bahrain in May wasn't that bad rioters won't bother you they are mad at their gov not you. look up s1000rr bahrain he can help as well.

Last edited by TJC; 11-03-2012 at 11:10 PM.
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSanD View Post
opsec homie... and I'm certain you don't wanna hear it but 3 years is gonna be too long for the girl unless you've got a friend to take care of her... and even then.

Sell her and take the money you would put into payments and toss it into a separate high interest "only while deployed" account as an allotment off your LES so when you get back you can pay cash for the newest model available (and probably pick up a few goodies for her too). Otherwise you're gonna come out of this way behind with a bike that wasn't taken proper care of. You either pay them interest for a bike that is depreciating in years and quality or get paid interest waiting for your brand new one... seriously think about it.
its no secret that there are crazy riots in bahrain, its been going on for a while. dont push that opsec stuff on me its common knowledge. Dealer already quoted me around 11 or 12 grand so im gonna get screwed.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yea it is... your deployment cycle and locations are not.

I'm not pushing anything on you this is a volunteer service you signed up for if you'll remember and that was a volunteer 365 you signed up for I assume to try and secure a base of preference for your follow on. Cryin

Last edited by QuikSanD; 11-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
QuikSanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSanD View Post
Yea it is... your deployment cycle and locations are not
it is not a deployment its being stationed there. so no its not a deployment cycle or whatever you call it. 3 year orders are extemely well known in the military. sorry i cant stay in wonderful germany with you.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticMT View Post
it is not a deployment its being stationed there. so no its not a deployment cycle or whatever you call it. 3 year orders are extemely well known in the military. sorry i cant stay in wonderful germany with you.
Apology accepted

Last edited by QuikSanD; 11-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
QuikSanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Leave it with a trusted friend and have them ride it a few times a year. Check the oil grease the chain etc.

Or top up the oil though i wouldn't recommend to the top if the filler though. Remove the battery, tape up the air intake, fill the tank but drain it and refill with clean fuel when you get back. Cover it in acf50 to protect against corrosion and you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Marcus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If you can't bring it with you I would try to sell it. Or leave it with a trusted friend to take care of it for THREE YEARS. I think 3 years is just to long for a vehicle to go untouched.

Depending on your pay grade and current bills you're going to make much bank in SW Asia. 3 years tax free monies...BOOM! Buy the newer model when you get back or maybe there will be something else out there you'll want instead.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
d40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticMT View Post
Three year orders are well known during accompanied OS vacations spots like Germany, but Bahrain should only be a 12 month short. That's per the publicly available JFTR annex Q. Your getting screwed if they are making you do 3 consecutive unaccompanied tours...

You seem to be a relatively new and/or young SM. While it's true the riots are common knowledge in that particular location, I think all QuicksanD was saying was that a simple SWA would have sufficed. OPSEC or not, it's really nobody's business where the gvmt. is sending you...
d40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement