Rev limiter, 600 mile service question! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Rev limiter, 600 mile service question!

So, I dropped the bike off for its first service and to have the rev limiter removed in accordance with BMW. I just got off the phone with the service manager who said when he went in with the BMW tool to remove the limiter he was unable to find that it was ON in the first place. He said their was nothing there to turn off, so he asked me if I had removed it. I told him to crack the throttle and see it wont go past 5-6,000 RPM. He said he'd never seen that before. The bike doesn't feel unrestricted although I have nothing to compare it to..

ever heard of this???

Respectfully,

Pain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
So prior to the service, could you take the bike up above 9K?

SMRI #715, AHRMA #715 WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

Thank you - 2015 Race Sponsors (click below)!!

MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Riders Discount**Pit Posse**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM

The rev limiter isn't supposed to kick in until 9K rpm so you wouldn't have noticed it at 5-6K. Only thing I can think of was that this might have been a demo and the dealership removed it before 600 miles. Supposed to be automatically enabled at the factory when it's assembled.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I mostly do street riding, the first few hundred miles I was in rain mode. Just recently graduated to sport mode...I'm not a hundred percent positive I've ever tried to get over 9,000 RPM....

I did a search, on here, and found a few threads on the implementation of the rev limiter....apparently not all bikes came from the factory with it pre installed. A software was released and dealers had to install/download this to the exisiting bikes...makes me wonder if mine never received it....

I have a 2011 VIN: WB1051708BZV42777

Not sure of the build date maybe at some point they were delivered to the BMW DEALERS with it allready pre-installed and prior to that the dealer was supposed to install it?? These threads that discussed it were around March 2010. Anyone have the old BMW bulletin about the rev limiter and holding customer deliveries?

Respectfully,

Pain
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
The bikes that did not receive it were pretty much the pre-orders for the first year model (2010). So yours would not fall under that umbrella. I find the most impressive part about this whole thing - you haven't twisted that right hand and felt the true meaning of what the S1 brings to the table

MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Riders Discount**Pit Posse**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

lol I know...I came from a Triumph Sprint ST 1050i So, I've had a healthy respect for this machine. It is after all a missle. I will definitely hit up west Texas this evening (as I have no track) and see what i can do. I can still rev past 9,000 RPM even if I'm in Sport mode (with no limiter) correct?

I guess in part I'm a Noob as I don't really have anything to compare it to. Hell, rain mode was faster than my Triumph!!

But it alarms me that the rev imiter was not on it....

Respectfully,

Pain
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
The 9000 limit is not specific to any one mode. So if you still have the 9K limit, it will limit in all modes. If it's been removed or was never present, you can ride the piss out of her .

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM

just be ready for it when you get past 9k and into 10.5k+ land, that's when it gets oh so fun.

build | pics | vids
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Lifetime Member

And, if/when you hit the limiter you'll certainly know.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePainClinic View Post
So, I dropped the bike off for its first service and to have the rev limiter removed in accordance with BMW. I just got off the phone with the service manager who said when he went in with the BMW tool to remove the limiter he was unable to find that it was ON in the first place. He said their was nothing there to turn off, so he asked me if I had removed it. I told him to crack the throttle and see it wont go past 5-6,000 RPM. He said he'd never seen that before. The bike doesn't feel unrestricted although I have nothing to compare it to..

ever heard of this???
I think I remember mine not going over 100-125mph before limiter kicked in! I was PO at that thing and it was all I could do to survive the 600 miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode