Sandy & S1000rr - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sandy & S1000rr

What are you guys doing if your bike got flooded or partially flooded?

Water levels reached a little above my foot pegs and was submerged for about three hours. So far I noticed my brake disc and chain are rusted. Sandy also pushed my 2012 s1000rr over so I need a new front right fairings, right mirror and the part that holds mirror and instrument cluster that connects to the front frame. I'm not sure if I would need to replace any other parts because of the flooding.

Let me know of any good site where I can purchase parts for a good deal. I found 2wheelspro.com but it seems quite pricey.
ariwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need to make sure no water went up the air intake before starting it. Other than that, dry it, cover it in acf50, lube your chain and polish the bike. Be worth making sure no water got trapped in any low level electrical connections.
Marcus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that bro. glad that you are ok. For the amount that you are about to spend on the damaged parts and your bike being a brand new bike, If I was you I would contact the insurance company and make a claim on that. My 0.02
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus81 View Post
You need to make sure no water went up the air intake before starting it. Other than that, dry it, cover it in acf50, lube your chain and polish the bike. Be worth making sure no water got trapped in any low level electrical connections.
Depending on where u are.. if any was salt water be sure to hose the heck out of it too.
Hopefully not the case.

Sorry to hear man!!!
Twisted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

if it was in your private garadge and you have homeowners insurance you can add it to that claim, if not use your motorcycle insurance. if it was me i would have the dealer check everything depending on salt water
Stang10189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about this man, hope you get it running soon...
Yamaha R1 01 [Sold]
yuvraj8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

If the water was above the axles, I'd take them out and clean any (salt) water off them. They aren't fun to remove when corrosion takes over. If the water was real bad, you can also pop the seals off the wheel bearings and repack them with grease. I believe this bike has suspension bearings too.

Since your bike is so new, I doubt a foot of water penetrated fresh grease. So all this might be not be necessary. Usually, it takes at least 30,000 miles or a few years to be vulnerable.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a fair number of new parts I pulled off my '12 bike to have my upgrade parts from my '10 bike installed. PM if you're looking for anything specific.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
If the water was above the axles, I'd take them out and clean any (salt) water off them. They aren't fun to remove when corrosion takes over. If the water was real bad, you can also pop the seals off the wheel bearings and repack them with grease. I believe this bike has suspension bearings too.

Since your bike is so new, I doubt a foot of water penetrated fresh grease. So all this might be not be necessary. Usually, it takes at least 30,000 miles or a few years to be vulnerable.
+1

that rear axle shaft is a bitch to get out to begin with. mine was rusted. the bike never seen rain and only have like 1000 miles. i had to pound the **** out of it with a heavy rubber mallet to get it out!
GunSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
ariwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement