that moment when you JUST KNOW that car is about to pull out in front of you - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default that moment when you JUST KNOW that car is about to pull out in front of you

had one of those today in the rain.

Car in front of me had his right blinker on to turn onto the road this lady was coming from, I was going to be continuing on into a left hand sweeping turn. I saw her in the car doing the glance back and forth move looking at the car in front of me and just knew she had no idea I was there... cold weather... misty/rainy afternoon... started slowing down and prepped just in case. Sure as sh*t the car in front of me turns right and she comes zipping out no more than 15 feet in front of me into a left hand turn heading my direction... THEN she notices me and slams the breaks and stops / jerks forward as she stalls her car in my lane. Had just enough time to hit the breaks swerve around the back side of her car and flip her the international symbol for F*** YOU!! 4 feet from her window.

stay safe out there everyone... and when the hairs on the back of your neck start standing up and you get that spidey sense... listen to it

Last edited by QuikSanD; 10-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.
QuikSanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glad you have the 6th sense working for you!
Putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
BRR

Even just reading the title of this thread gave me shivers.
BRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRR View Post
Even just reading the title of this thread gave me shivers.
I agree cause we can all understand and appreciate what the OP is saying here. To ride on the street you really do need that 6th sense.

QuickSanD, glad you managed to avoid a potential accident and you could continue riding.
BMW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had nearly the same thing happen with my wife on the back. I hit the brakes hard enough her knees went up into my armpits. She didn't ride for 2 years after that. Glad you didn't get hurt.
M GmbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

That seems to happen to me just about every time I ride. I just assume that they are going to pull out in front of me or merge into my lane while I'm in it. The crazy thing around here is that they always look you as if its your fault.
freed929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Had the same thing a few weeks ago. Riding along a long dark road, I'm the only visible headlight in view and could see a car waiting to turn right across my path. He should have seen me from about 600 yards but as I got closer he never moved, I slowed to about twenty mph from about 80 and as I was about to pass he pulled straight out, saw me, panicked and jammed the brakes on blocking the road. Luckily I could see what was going to happen as he'd had about 20 seconds to make his manover and he hadn't bothered so I casually stop, called him a c**t and carried on.

Not everybody gets that lucky!
Marcus81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've been riding longer than I care to admit. I always assume the other person is NOT going to do what they should do, and never, never get into a position of dependence on them to do the appropriate thing. I watch some of the films presented on here and cringe at some of the maneuvers I witness. Sure, it's fun, but as they say: "sooner of later"....................

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Expect the unexpected- But can be easier said than done.
Lowside under cager - YouTube
muttang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSanD View Post
THEN she notices me and slams the breaks and stops / jerks forward as she stalls her car in my lane.
Why do they always slam on their brakes and stop right in your lane?

I'm not fautless, in 34 years of driving/riding, I've accidently pulled out a couple of times when I didn't see someone. But when I do, I slam the throttle to the floor/stop and GTF out of dodge. Stopping and blocking the lane of the guy who's right of way you just violated doesn't help the situation.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring "Muttly"

Past rides:
1973 Yamaha RD350
1980 Yamaha SR500
1993 Suzuki DR350S
1994 Honda CBR600F2
1996 Honda VFR750F
1997 Honda VTR1000F
1998 Honda CBR1100XX
1998 Honda GL1500A
1999 Suzuki SV650
2000 Honda CBR600F4