that moment when you JUST KNOW that car is about to pull out in front of you - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

i actually had the same experience couple of weeks ago. i was at the canyons going on a left hand turn at about a good speed, had the bike leaned over & as soon as i had a glimpse of my exit i saw a biggest gmc truck ever pulling right in front of me!

thought were running through my head, will he stop? did he see me? f$ck im gonna crash :-( at this time the bike only had 400m & i was just trying to break her in. sure enough he went & drove right in front of me, and the worst part is he pulled in slooowwwllyyy... so i stood the bike up and grabbed both brakes! it was like God sent his angels & pulled me away from hitting the truck's rear bumper, i was literally inches away from hitting it & possible front flip action was going to happen...

i had to pull over after that & thank the motorcycle God & also thank to the wonderful creation of ABS. closest encounter by far (whew... what a experience)
2009 YZF R1 (sold)
2007 GSXR 750 (sold)
2003 YZF R6S (sold)
S1kRRDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

YA those left turners can come quick , i have almost stoped in a 4 way just because the clown kept inching into my lane >>> I have had 2 bikers killed just the very next street over in one week . this happened last week too .
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I always ride like my ex has paid someone $10K to kill me and make it look like an accident. I am seldom disappointed, I spot that guy (or girl) almost every ride. Turning left in front of me, merging over, stopping in the middle of the road for no reason, sneaking up on me in a parking lot, the list goes on.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Glad your ok!
My take on close calls is, they can be a testament to your skill, awareness, and experience as a rider. I'm not saying that all accidents can be avoided, we can't control what other people do or how they drive. I'm saying that those same close calls could be an accident for other less experienced riders. For me, those close calls help keep me grounded and reminds me of what could happen in that one moment that I don't pay attention.
Moontanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
I always ride like my ex has paid someone $10K to kill me and make it look like an accident..
I actually lol'd
Moontanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wow, nice save! Stay alert, stay alive.
jincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ya well, you should meet my ex.................... the sharks aren't safe when she's in the water.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Xtremsiege2

No matter how comfortable you get, there will always be that car that comes every year or 10 that completely catches you off guard. One of the misfortunes of this sport which even learning from can't predict the next occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
Ya well, you should meet my ex.................... the sharks aren't safe when she's in the water.
Haha one of those?
Xtremsiege2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

A good technique that has served me well (so far) is when you see someone who is waiting to turn, swerve back & forth in the lane a bit. It is much easier for someone to see a light moving side to side rather than appearing stationary as you get closer.
fess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

The last accident I was in involved a lady on her cell phone in the left/center turn lane, MY direction of travel... As I passed her in the straight lane, she made a RIGHT turn INTO me.

Boom.

2012 Motorsports gone. Arai Corsair V Nicky Hayden gone. Dainese gloves and jacket, toast. I walked away with two cracked ribs and a concussion. I was going 52mph according to the Trooper.

All gear, all the time boys.

HEED THIS: AGATT

" On a bike when you take direction/speed/angle into consideration on a second by second basis there is NO time to think. A decision has to made instantly! On the street for example add to that road conditions/inattentive drivers etc....etc... and the variables are just too many. Its got to be done by instinct or take a break. " - Sal R1
BavarianBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement