My experiment, drag racing seat on a road race bike - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My experiment, drag racing seat on a road race bike

I thought some people might be interested in this and I wasn't sure where to post it so I decided to put it into the general discussion.

I have been riding canyons for a long time and doing the occasional track day but with all of the incidents in my area lately, I'm making the switch to riding/racing at the track with an occasional canyon day. That being said I replaced my plastics with after market body work and ditched the headlights, corner markers and a few other things.

The big things that I cannot get away with on the street here are not having a brake light, not having rear markers, and not having a rear license plate, the other things like the head light (I don't ride at night anymore), mirrors (you only need one in California and a bar end mirror is easy enough to put on and take off) are not that big of a deal.

So I started off looking at my options for race plastics. The two companies that I'm most familiar with and that I feel have the best workmanship are:

Catalyst Racing http://catalystracingcomposites.com/...00rr&go=Search

Sharkskinz http://sharkskinz.com/s1000rr.aspx

I purchased a full Sharkskinz race body work set (another plug for TJ at ridersdiscount, got me a great price) and then I purchased a street tail and drag race seat from Catalyst. Catalyst is local to me so I just stopped by.
The idea here is that I could change out the tail sections to one with a brake light with built in markers and license plate to the other just for the track.
I have never been a fan of the stock seat on the S1000RR because it feels wide, extra cushy, and slopes down towards the tank. So here are some preliminary pics of my project.

Sharkskinz on the right Catalyst on the left

Last edited by madmachinist; 10-29-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed links
madmachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

As you can see by the pics, this is not a rain friendly set up because of the gap between the seat and the tank.
Here is another pic of the seat length which looks to be good for racing, I was concerned that the drag seat would keep me to close to the tank but it is fine. I will not put any seat foam on the back of the seat.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement