BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Ordering a new s1000xr or s1000rr?

19K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  fredaroony 
#1 ·
Hi
Some years ago I had a 2010 rr which I loved and used for over a year rain or sunshine every day.
It was the best bike I ever had.
I sold it to a friend because sometimes the riding position used to tire me when I am commuting in traffic.
I always said that the suspension on the bike was something of this world.
Especially how composed it felt over bumpy roads.

I have just sold me RT LC because I wanted something faster and ordered a new XR, dealer is still looking to confirm a production slot but now I am having second doubts whether I should order a new rr.

Is anybody body who went through a similar thought process please?

#2 ·
Those are two very different bikes.
I own a 2015RR, and with the addition of the cruise control the riding position can be in a more sit up and stretch position when needed.
You can steer with your left hand on the freeway if you need a change of position.
My .02 cents

#4 ·
Forget about s1000R. I have been on all three XR, RR, R.

I have RR, test drove XR. Very different bikes. I'll make it simple:

If you ride 2 up, cruise, very long commutes or trips, not much track or spirited ridding then XR. Otherwise RR.

I have a friend who takes his XR to the track, and keeps up with RRs on the street. Be sure you test ride both in the same conditions you will be using them and go from there. You will find the answer easily.

XR or RR, both are great bikes.

#5 ·
Thank you for your replies.
My commuting is a 20km ride both ways to the office in most cases in traffic but still enjoy some traffic free stretches.

I do not do two up riding a lot.
Where I live there are some bumpy and rough roads but my previous rr handled these well.

The rr position is of course not as comfortable as the XR but then again it is a smaller lighter bike which I prefer.

But technically the XR should be better for bumpier roads ?

Also the XR has luggage in its favor.

#6 ·
20 km (a bit over 12 miles) doesn't seem like enough to warrant an XR, unless you plan to tour. But if just for commuting, you could always throw a set of Heli bars on an RR. The new RR's are a big step forward from the older analog-suspension RR's.

And you could probably get an RR right away...maybe?

#7 · (Edited)
If you were uncomfortable enough to sell your old RR i think you'll find yourself in the same boat again.
Unless you want to make some changes like Helibars as mentioned above by flyrider.

Watch the gizmag review of the XR online. He basically says its a superbike with a multistrada riding position. As z00 said you'll keep up with anything on the street on the XR and it'll feel like a magic carpet ride.

#8 ·
I've been drooling over the XR. I'm waiting for used ones to start popping up, but I never see any. I guess that's a sign that no one will give them up. Whats the seat height like on it? I struggle on my RR.

#9 ·
You could look it up on the BMW site, but I'll do it for you: 33.1"

RR seat height, by comparison: 32.1"

That extra inch would feel like a mile to me. Plus the XR's windscreen I hear isn't all that great...and it's (the bike, not the windscreen) buzzy. Other than that...not too bad.

#10 ·
I mean you already had an RR, so you should be familiar with sportsbikes riding position.

XR is a sports cruising bike. It does not sound like what you want to do. Keep in mind XR is heavier and not as fast/agile. 15+ RR is more comfy than previous model years.

If you have a lot of luggage to carry, then XR is a no brainer. You really need to test ride both. I find my 15 RR very comfy, I ride bumpy roads for hours and it's fine with proper suspension settings. Just keep your hands relaxed on the handle bar, family jewels away from the tank. Weigh the pegs with you legs to reduce load on suspension.

#11 · (Edited)
go RR if you liked it before

and make the following changes.
add soft bags for luggage on the sides or get the seat part to hold a piece of aluminum where the rear seat is and add foam around the bottom of the aluminum. Screw the aluminum down through the plate that will hold a 40 to 50 litre luggage box on the back. Plenty of luggage space for commuting. Add heli or LSL bars and you will have the most comfortable bad ass commuter. Legs too tight add spacer under seat and lower pegs. Less vibs on the RR over the XR and more wind protection.

#14 ·
I wanted to chime in regarding the s1000r when Z00 decided to write it off. The XR seems like an overpowered upright touring bike. For me, the RR ergo's are too aggressive for license retention/street riding.
The R (at the time) was the bike for me. Now as to if I'd buy another one...too early to tell. (Depends on how much of my aftermarket stuff transfers over to a 17/18 model).

#15 ·
Let me add some inputs in here since I am also drooling for an XR. For people here that have not test ridden it, I suggest doing it first before commenting here after reading online reviews and discrediting the XR. lol

I have test ridden one and honestly debating adding one in my stable beside the HP4. The XR is super comfortable and has better mpg than the RR's. Ride height is my only concern since I'm 5'11" and I still tip toe in it but I was told that they have an optional lower sit that will mitigate this issue for me. The buzzing handlebars at 5-7k rpm is really there and can always be fixed by bar ends.

Torque is really the selling point in the XR IMHO and it really what makes it fun in the occasional twisty rides that you may have. I've test ridden the fully loaded bike with the Dynamic suspension and it works really great and a big improvement over the DDC of the HP4. Also the clutch less up and down shifting is really smooth which I know the new RR's have already.

If your initial concern of selling your old RR is the position then the XR is the solution for it. But one downside that I really feel as a con for the XR over the RR is that you will no longer get the feeling that people are looking at you when in traffic since you are not in a sportbike any more. But that is just me. lol. Both bikes are really good but different purposes.

#17 ·
I am still thinking about it.
My order for the XR has been submitted and I have a production slot for end of June.
I think I can still change the order.

I know the XR is better suited for what I need but my heart is telling me rr.

Do you think that the order can be changed ?

Do you know how BMW work in this regard?

Thank you

#18 · (Edited)
XR and RR are day and night. As far as vibrations, my hands never go numb on the XR and are practically instantly numb on my RR. XR will cruise forever with no discomfort, RR not even close. XR takes quite a warm day to make you feel it, RR is great for staying warm in cold winter driving.. RR will fly with pretty much zero wind, XR wind isn't comfortable at all over 110 MPH. XR has a ton of storage with the two side bags and top bag; my RR has a small rear seat bag that holds my lunch and not much else and I don't want anything bigger than that on such a sleek bike. XR mirrors are great, RR has mirrors for some unknown reason. Red XR gets attention from everyone and I've never had anyone not notice me, RR seems to be invisible unless you keep the revs up to more of a scream level. Forgot to mention the XR is big and very tall while my RR reminds me more of my old Ninja 250 when I haven't been on it for a while.
I'm thankful to be fortunate enough to own both and would never want to decide between one or the other. Good luck.

#21 ·
Hi Rd2015,
Thank you for your message.
This pretty sums it up for me.
Unfortunately I cannot afford both and I have to choose what is best for me now, which is the XR.
I need to carry some stuff and commute in traffic and on bumpy roads.
Also the heat is an issue because I live in a warm climate country.
I still go crazy for the rr but the XR suits me better at the time being.

#25 · (Edited)
If you liked the RR then I think the R is the better choice.
R is much more relaxed, better seating, still fast enough.
As an everyday bike the single R is so much more fun then RR.
my advise is to test drive the R before you make a decision.
Good luck in whatever you're buying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.