kill switch for headlight and tail lights? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default kill switch for headlight and tail lights?

Is there a way you can wire a kill switch in to kill the headlights and tail lights while the bike is running?
Ds1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

The headlights are fused in the rear of the bike, so I'm sure you can put a switch somewhere.

The tail light, turnsignal, and "parking lights" are not. They are controlled or at least monitored by the ECU - they're CANBUS devices. I don't think you can control them with just a simple switch. You'd mess up their signal to the ECU.

What are you thinking? Track days? Or sneaking home after staying out too late? I'm guessing running from the cops is what you are looking for. Bad idea if so.

For track junkies here is the cure.

Pull the fuses for the headlights. That's easy.

For the taillight/stoplight there is a connector right under the rear cross-member of the tail. Crappy location, but not that hard to disconnect once you know how it works.

Rear turnsignals also have a connector in the tail that lead down and out the right. Unplug it or even remove the entire assembly with the three screws. Also easy.

Front turnsignals take some work to remove, and even worse are the parking lights. Just tape 'em up.
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.

Last edited by Rainman; 10-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

We've got a runner! Lol my buddy has the same on his r1, kills the front and rear individually or simultaneously. Pretty cool!
+dmp taillight
Jebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

I will be visiting my dealer soon to ask them to remove the fault checking on the ECU for the lights. So that if I fit the race fairings for tracdays then I will not be getting the error codes.

I will tel them I will put their brand name on the bike if they do it for me...
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just asked my dealer to do it whilst it was having it's first service.I have just removed the lights-guess what?
Still shows the fault light!
Probably why Alpha Racing sell the plug blanks.
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerconvert View Post
Just asked my dealer to do it whilst it was having it's first service.I have just removed the lights-guess what?
Still shows the fault light!
Probably why Alpha Racing sell the plug blanks.
As far as I know, they would be able to do it for you. But they don't like doing it because of the warinty. Are you sure they DID deactivate it? I know it sound funny, but sometimes the dealers them selfs don't know how to deactivate things on the ECU's that they don't normaly do.
Arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nobody sells a kit for doing this?
How to do the wiring for the switch and the fuses?
Ds1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement