Has anyone ever "jumped" their scooter...both wheels getting air? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has anyone ever "jumped" their scooter...both wheels getting air?

I went through an intersection in 1st gear today and caught a pretty big lip/bump just as the powerband was getting into the zoom mode...aka 10K rpm...it kind of caught me by surprise but the front wheel raised so controllably I just stayed on the gas and sure enough the back wheel caught some air too...it felt incredible...took me back to my motocross days...what a cool feeling...the S1KRR handled it perfectly. I felt like such a badass afterwards...after the intersection traffic backed up so the cars caught up to me and everyone was giving me the eye. For anyone in the Orlando area I was in the right most lane going west on aloma and crossing 436...in the right most lane only there is a bit of a launching pad just as you get almost through the intersection...you have to be on the gas at just the right time.
Red and Alpine White 2012 S1000RR, Austin Racing Full Inconel GP2R exhaust with titanium can, PCV with dyno tune by WSB tuner, AR CF Satin Belly Pan, R&G Racing side covers and wheel sliders and License plate relocation kit with rear light internal LED blinkers and brake lights.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 10-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Yep, quite frequently at the track... we have some not so nice transitions... shitt gets air in a few places
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Yep, quite frequently at the track... we have some not so nice transitions... shitt gets air in a few places
I always wondered what it felt like on a 440lb superbike vs a 180lb motocrosser...obviously the two jumps are very different but they actually feel very similar...I'm sure mine wasn't anything compared to racing speed track air but it felt way cool.
Red and Alpine White 2012 S1000RR, Austin Racing Full Inconel GP2R exhaust with titanium can, PCV with dyno tune by WSB tuner, AR CF Satin Belly Pan, R&G Racing side covers and wheel sliders and License plate relocation kit with rear light internal LED blinkers and brake lights.
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Riding dirt definitely helps for those rare occasions you find air on the asphalt. Some folks have thought the lines I've taken at the track are a little radical w/the air that is gotten... but w/practice you just work through it and to be honest, it has created some excellent opportunities for passing as well as defense.

There is similar body position, but IMO less control once the bike is airborne... you hope that you were smooth when you left and therefore will be smooth when you continue on.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Happened once with my RSV4 on a road we call "The Roller Coaster"(guess why). Front wheel went really high and my heart stopped but thank god I didn't do any bad moves as I landed it pretty smoothly. I can tell ya I don't go as fast on that road anymore...
TheM!G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Every evening, on the way home from work :-)
There is a lovely little jump coming out of a second gear bend on the road that links Greenhill Road to Mount Lofty in the Adelaide hills.
The DTC lights go mental. :-)
RobTheBlackKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: 90 minutes from Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota

Several times this year, on my two trips to Arkansas, on my FZ1.
They have some sweet roads down there!
'04 Yamaha YZF-R6
'03 Honda GL1800
'02 Yamaha YZ250
Torchsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Happened to me a few months back. Going down a road at an undisclosed speed and didn't know the road drops. Caught air for a brief moment, dtc light going nuts..it was awesome
wkd4496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yamaha R1 01 [Sold]
yuvraj8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement