BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2010 S1000rr with 52k

8K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Ps#37-4 
#1 ·
Im cresting 53k miles with my 2010. just had a new water pump put in and about to have clutch replaced. I plan on keeping this bike forever. Is there anybody else on here who has a RR with high miles?

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I sold my 2011 with 56,000 miles plus on it. It's still going strong in the hands of the new owner and last I heard, he has around 61,000 miles on it.

Reactions: MotoMillion
#4 ·
:surprise:

Awww man!

#8 ·
How hard are these high mileage bikes ridden? Is it racked up due to the bike being used for daily commute, or are you guys that lucky to be able to enjoy the bike for most of the time.

Really awesome to see numerous S1000RR's with high miles on them.

#9 ·
BMW vehicles will last a long time given they're maintained well. I don't mean dealer recommended scheduled service by that.

I have had my 15 RR for one year, put 16k miles already. I plan to keep it until the warranty expires and then make it a track bike, mod the hell out of it. I rode with a rider in Calif who had 100k plus on his 2012RR. Be ready to do a cooling system overhaul, fuel/water pumps, etc... oil fork replaced every 30-40k miles depending on your riding style. Luckily BMW RR does not have as many bushings as their cars.

#12 ·
Depends on the vehicle, my 335i is anything but reliable, but it is durable and most components that do fault or commonly known about and not terribly difficult to replace.

I'm not sure why you'd replace the fuel or water pumps, those should last the life of the bike.

#11 ·
Around 40 track days, mostly in 100+ degree heat at Thunderhill Raceway, lots of commute miles in anywhere from 19 degrees F to 105 degrees F and a ton of weekend twisties up to 600 miles in a day.

The bike is awesome and pretty damn reliable.

#16 ·
I meant reliability not durability. My bad!

Fuel pump failure is common on e46 and e9X BMWs. I stick to M cars because they're built with better quality.

Anything turbo charged will have issues, better keep an eye on your pumps. I stick to NA engines as much as I can. I have to say, I got pretty lucky with all M cars I have had.

#17 ·
The M cars aren't built with better quality, in fact I had the choice and chose the 335, simply because a $120 tune and it'll rock most every M3 out there. The built quality is no better than the cheapest 3 series made. The only difference is the car was designed to fill a different niche.

The turbo's are not the problem with the 335, except for the wastegate rattle there really are no common turbo related problems. And even the wastegate rattle isn't really a problem, it just rattles, doesn't hurt anything. The problems the car does have are a result of the pioneering technology used elsewhere in the car. But this is actually a desirable trait to me, I like the innovate technology not seen on every car made. This comes with a higher than average failure rate, but I can deal with that.

As for every turbo car having issues, then I guess BMW's ENTIRE 2016 lineup, minus the i whatever, will have issues, because you cannot buy a new BMW with a normally aspirated engine.

#19 ·
In Cali my daily was an e46M3, I had an M4 that I got for a great deal from a guy who defaulted on his lease. I kept it for few months, and then sold it to make some money on it. I did not like it that much beside technology package and ceramic brakes. For that much money I would rather get a Mustang shelby gt350r and save $20k. BMW screwed up latest M gen. Well beside the special M4 GTS with water injected valves. But it's a $140k and already sold out. The only M4 I would want :wink2:

I test drove 335i 6-7 years ago and it's an ok car. Good power for the straights, but its handling sucks. I picked up an e46 M3 over it. No 335i can touch an e46 m3 in the twisties, in the straights maybe. But with a modded e46 M3 (supercharger kit for extra 100HP is $7k) you will need a GTR to keep up with it. e46 m3 is light. Finally, M cars hold their value much better. After 7 years, I sold my M3 for one third of what I bought it for. Good luck getting that with a 335i. Only issue I had with it was the fuel pump. Just maintained it well and it never gave me any issues. Compare reliability reports stats; they're higher in M cars than non-M cars. 335i is notorious for turbo pump failing. Another reason I did not get one.

M cars are special, they have different engines and suspensions. Most of their parts are not interchangeable with lower ranked/priced cousins. After test driving many cars, I got lucky and found a pristine fully loaded e92 M3 with competition package (race ECU, wider wheel offset, light CSL wheels, DCT tranny, etc...) and carbon fiber trim. The only thing I miss from M4 is their nav, iDrive on e92 is not great. V8 Voom Voom for life! I'm not worried about repairs, I got 100k mile full warranty on this one from dealership included part of my deal.

I find cars to be a hit or a miss. My friend's m3 is always in the shop for repairs. Let's be honest, show me a car right now that's as balanced and versatile as an M car. I bet you cannot. I test drove a dozen luxury/performance cars last month before I bought my M3. And there is always something. From Lexus RC-F all the way up to 911 GT3. GT3 is my favorite, but for $170k, it ain't worth it IMO. Shelby gt350R is a great track car, not practical at all. I can keep going.

#22 ·
I'm over cars, I just like to have a car that handles well with a peb in its step. Plus BMW offers a loyalty discount (at least in US) for people who have their bikes and cars. :wink2:

To keep up with a supercharged E46? In a 335? You'll need a tune. And it'll have to be a crappy one in order to give the M3 a chance at keeping up.

What is a turbo pump? The only component that has a high failure rate related to the turbochargers is the wastegate bearings, causing them to rattle. But I'm not even sure you can call that a failure. They rattle, but still function.
I lost count of how many 335i I walked over in the twisties, my M3 was stock beside clutch, and short shifter (it was manual). Oversteering in 335i and its weights make its handling dull. In the straights, yes a tune will be needed in M3. With turbo chargers a tune is needed anyway to adjust variable engine parameters and correct ECU codes. If I care about drag racing I would buy American cars, way more power and way less money. Fun is in the turns bro! Keep in mind 335 is a generation newer than e46 M3. To me it's impressive M3 can keep up with cars much newer than it.

Turbo engines require high pressure pumps. When I said turbo pump I meant HDP fuel pump for N54. See this:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/...uel+Pump+for+Turbo+vehicles+-+BMW+335i,+335xi

If you have 60-80k miles or over on your car, I suggest you replace the fuel pump. You don't want it to die on you.

Bearings like you said fail, but they're not as critical as the fuel pump, it could leave you stranded somewhere.

#21 ·
To keep up with a supercharged E46? In a 335? You'll need a tune. And it'll have to be a crappy one in order to give the M3 a chance at keeping up.

What is a turbo pump? The only component that has a high failure rate related to the turbochargers is the wastegate bearings, causing them to rattle. But I'm not even sure you can call that a failure. They rattle, but still function.

#23 ·
The only reason for the tune was for performance, scaling e85, increasing boost, etc. It's not needed unless you want more power.

Turbo engines do not require high pressure fuel pumps, you're absolutely wrong there. In fact, most don't have them. Direct injection is what requires the HPFP. And DI is common on even N/A cars, so the HPFP has nothing to do with the turbochargers. Furthermore, a failed HPFP won't leave you stranded, just puts it into a limp mode, which basically holds the wastegates wide open and pulls some ignition timing. I drove 90mph for almost 2 hours with a failed HPFP. Which, by the way, failed at 20,000 miles. Not a huge deal to me, they're relatively easy to change and free.

#24 ·
When my fuel pump failed at 108k miles, the car would not even turn, let alone limp mode. You can read all of the horror stories online.

#29 ·
I bought my 2010 S1000RR in 2010 and now have almost
15K miles on it. Just had the yearly maintenance done and
the bike runs great, Also have a great running 1982 R100CS
that also is a great running bike that has about 52K km.
on it. I guess both still have a lot of life in them. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.