HP4? I don't need no stinkin' HP4! - Page 4 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
so what I'm missing that the HP4 has:
- adjustable DTC
- DDC
- serial number
- a stupid cat in my midpipe
- launch control
- different ABS and wheelie control mapping
- slightly lighter wheels

I'd say I've got more power and am around the same weight if not slightly lighter, and a better battery (LiFePO4). The HP4 also doesn't have a Brembo RCS19 master cylinder. DDC and launch control would be nice, but I wouldn't pay for it.

But it is true that if you're starting from scratch, the HP4 is a pretty good package to start from, instead of the whole list of mods I've picked up over the past couple of years.
I'm with you on this argument, but I would like to see your bike on a scale just out of curiosity.
Kacolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacolorado View Post
I'm with you on this argument, but I would like to see your bike on a scale just out of curiosity.
me too - in order to weigh less than the HP4 I need to have lost 16lbs. The exhaust took off 8-10lbs, the battery about 5lbs, PAIR valve and carbon canister 1-2lbs, all the carbon fiber maybe 1-2lbs, and HIDs added 2lbs (the ballasts). I was just thinking about getting my bike on a scale this week.

although, to be honest, my ultimate goal was to get down to 420lbs, so that I'd have matched the wet weight of the Desmosedici RR. It's doable, but it'd take another $8-10K on top of where I'm at now...and so there's that point of diminishing returns.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
me too - in order to weigh less than the HP4 I need to have lost 16lbs. The exhaust took off 8-10lbs, the battery about 5lbs, PAIR valve and carbon canister 1-2lbs, all the carbon fiber maybe 1-2lbs, and HIDs added 2lbs (the ballasts). I was just thinking about getting my bike on a scale this week.

although, to be honest, my ultimate goal was to get down to 420lbs, so that I'd have matched the wet weight of the Desmosedici RR. It's doable, but it'd take another $8-10K on top of where I'm at now...and so there's that point of diminishing returns.
Taking off weight sounds all good and for the most part, it is. The benefit of the DDC is questionable when compared to full race Ohlins etc however I know that BMW Australia is going to run a stock standard HP4 in the ASBK 8 hour. We'll know a lot more about how the HP4 performs after the race.

I think for me the true benefit of the HP4 is the electronics package along with the modifications to the power characteristics. To suggest a 2010 S1RR will be similar is, quite frankly...silly. The HP4 has been built for a specific purpose by BMW and I'm willing to bet they have more money, expertise and opportunity to develop a top level supersport bike than any individual on any forum.

This is not designed to flame anyone. You love you bike and you should cos it looks hot. My issue is that, regardless of the parts on you bike, it's technology is 3 years old and when talking about m/bikes of this type and especially the improvements BMW has made each year with the S1RR,I'm be willing to bet we're talking 'chalk and cheer'.

Btw, it was the changes made to the power delivery and chassis that helped the guys racing WSBK's to go from mid pack to the front. They didn't need more power or strip any weight.

Last edited by BudaLivesThroughMyHP4; 10-29-2012 at 07:30 AM.
BudaLivesThroughMyHP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #34 (permalink)

I am no longer participating in this forum.

Last edited by Wobbly; 09-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

When an adjustable suspension meets gps tracking to change rates for each corner, then and electronic adjustable suspension will be a great benefit for the track.
2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS

2010 BMW S1000RR
ABS-DTC-Shift Assist
Fastest Color Motorsport
AMPforE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
On the race track--but not on regular roads. The DDC will adjust to any surface. On regular roads, which is what most will be driven on, the DDC is superior (already been tested in the German magazine PS "RR vs. HP4"). Electronic suspension is the big innovation and, I am certain, it is the way of the mc future.

]
Absolutely agree!!!

I think though at this stage it's still relatively unknown for the average rider to get their head around how good it is against proven technology such as Ohlins. what gets me all excited is the thought that I can enjoy it on the track and then not have to make any adjustments to enjoy it on the road...and it won't be hard as a rock. I currently run Ohlins on my S1RR and as good as it is on the track it has to be loosened up for the road.
BudaLivesThroughMyHP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know my case savers, frame sliders, and bobbins added 1.61 lbs:

Thus far the carbon fiber has not weighed a bit less...weights can be seen here:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...-standard.html

I tried to pull my HID ballasts, but I've got them secured in there pretty damn tight.
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #38 (permalink)

just weighed my bike with the fuel topped off - 432lbs. So I'm 7lbs lighter than the HP4 and 19lbs lighter than stock.

That's good enough for me. BST wheels would take off another 10lbs or so? Not worth the $4000. But I will do a 520 chain and sprocket and when my Metzelers wear out, I'm putting on Pilot Pures. That'll take off another 4-5lbs.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
just weighed my bike with the fuel topped off - 432lbs. So I'm 7lbs lighter than the HP4 and 19lbs lighter than stock.

That's good enough for me. BST wheels would take off another 10lbs or so? Not worth the $4000. But I will do a 520 chain and sprocket and when my Metzelers wear out, I'm putting on Pilot Pures. That'll take off another 4-5lbs.
Nicely done man!

I read the whole thread, and the biggest " advantage " I can see with the HP4 is the fuel/ECU tuning by BMW Motorad in the actual ECU/control module. As they say, more than the sum of it's parts... Seems that would apply to your beautiful ride AND the HP4.

You know what stuck out most to me? The whole time I was like " Isn't this guy in Korea? " ha ha.. Welcome back stateside! I was just in Nashville for the CMA's.

HEED THIS: AGATT

" On a bike when you take direction/speed/angle into consideration on a second by second basis there is NO time to think. A decision has to made instantly! On the street for example add to that road conditions/inattentive drivers etc....etc... and the variables are just too many. Its got to be done by instinct or take a break. " - Sal R1
BavarianBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #40 (permalink)

I did the exact setup with ohlins. Very big difference. I also had the suspension set up for my weight and Computrak do the frame. I can't even speak on the difference. Totally plants in the twisties solid. It's solid in every aspect now. It was a little twitchy before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
would like to know as well.
ibb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement