BMW S1000RR Forum banner

15RR Engine Ticking . . . .

26K views 102 replies 36 participants last post by  tyghosy 
#1 ·
I have read all the posts and threads on this ticking noise from the engine. A lot of horror stories indeed. it's got me seriously worried that out of the only 3 BMW Dealers in my area that they are going to just be lazy and not investigate it properly and worse still, tell me its normal.

After my 1st service it got louder, I'm on 6,500ish kms. The ticking sound is unbearable and embarrassing now, i also knew since my 14RR that these BMW's were loud mechanically and accepted it. At the time knowing that those front butterfly valves are probably mostly responsible for the most part.

But now my 15RR is sounding like a time bomb. Much worse than my 14RR ever sounded.

I have been riding around testing it and trying to figure out where exactly its coming from. I have removed both side and belly fairings to expose the ticking sound better.

I know it can be either one or more of these following problems:

1) Exhaust Header Butterfly Valve in the balance pipe.
2) CCT - Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner.
3) CAM and Rockers on the intake side.
4) Clutch Rattle.
5) Valve Clearance.

At around 3,000rpm the sound is very loud.

When I pull the clutch in and play with the throttle gently and hold it on about 3,000rpm the sound is there getting faster and slower with rpm. You can hear it good even when the bike is in neutral in my shed by holding the rpm around or on 3,000rpm.

Sounds to me like a combination of that front exhaust valve and the cam adjuster side.

The worrying thing is that the engine is idling a bit rough and is not as smooth as it use to be from new. Something is seriously wrong and getting worse i just know it.

My worry is that when I take it into the dealer, they are going to do nothing to help me. It's still under warranty and I want them to check out the Cam and if possible replace the exhaust headers and cam chain plug.

Some guys on here complain about the ticking even after they have installed a whole exhaust system, which for them would rule out that annoying front butterfly valve.

I should not have to be outta pocket for any of this mess, but am also worried the dealer/stealer will try and make me pay for inspecting it.

I read a post about a guy having his exhaust headers replaced by BMW Australia.

I have found on the forum that BMW have replaced the Timing Chain With a modified screw plug.
PUMA - 54380454
PART No. 11318534849
I believe I need that part. I don't want to put in a manual plug. the new plug sticks out further in its resting place than the stock oem plug. I guess its kinda like adjusting a manual plug so that it puts more force on the cam chain.

I imagine most members are fairly up to date with this annoying ticking sound as this forum alone has educated me above the so called BMW mechanics, so it seems at times. They seem to just go to work and clock off at the end of the day, its just a job to them is my personal impression. In other words they don't care and they make that pretty clear in their demeaner.

Some of these BMW managers are just as bad if not worse. They seem to play dumb and hope you go away. i have had a few run-ins with these morons.

I have to book my bike in for this inspection on Tuesday but have already been told by a salesman that they won't see it for a week or more at Daisy Hill as they are busy, I went there Yesterday to ask to start-up and listen to some S1's so I could compare the sound to mine, but they had sold them all bar one new 16RR - which sounds smooth as silk as its got like next to zero kms on it. mine was as smooth new to.

I've had the bike for about 5 months from new and it is stock. I got the HP wheels and the special white/blue paint job, I paid $27,000 for it. I'm sick with worry I have a lemon and that no one is going to help me.

I'm leaving the fairings off it so they can hear it better when I finally get it booked in. I can't ride it and won't until its fixed. All my money goes into paying this thing off, as at the time of purchase I believed in the brand. now after educating myself and reading so many peoples stories revolving around this ticking sound I'm sick with worry for good reason.

It seems that some people in different parts of the world get looked after at some dealers while others get done dry by other dealers. This is so WRONG of BMW to allow this to happen to so many while only a few get it resolved.

It seems that so many dealers are lacking the education and the up to date recalls and so on within their systems.

I don't want to be another soul like Macca whose engine blew up. we both bought from the same dealer.

So who has any FRESH news about this serious ongoing issue with these bikes of ours.

Come on BMW look after US ALL.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 2015 has a distinct ticking around 3000 RP pretty much like you described, it can be a bit annoying but I have been assured it is normal and nothing to worry about. So I just ride it hard and enjoy it...a lot :). But it sounds like it is really upsetting you, I really hope that your dealer can give you peace of mind either by fixing it or explaining what it is. All the best...

#3 ·
Mine ticks as well but not at any specific rpm, most of the time i don't notice it but its more apparent at startup. Just sounds like a mechanical rattle really.
Sounds like yours is much louder than mine though.
Have you made a video/soundclip of it?

#4 · (Edited)
@Colers if you bought from the same dealer as @macca_779, I would be extremely confident all is well.

The reason why, is he was at a trackday which the dealer was also present for, when his engine grenaded. The whole experience from memory (granted not a slam dunk on accuracy) was other than the engine expiring, the whole process for Macca_779 was easy. I'm sure he would have preferred not to have had any of that experience, but it was resolved expediently and thus far, almost a year later, he hasn't shared any further issues regarding the new powerplant.

One question.......do you wear earplugs 100% of the time you ride the bike? If no, for your own sanity, I encourage you to buy disposables in bulk, and wear them without fail. Wearing them, all these peculiar noises aren't as much a prominent source of attention, allowing you to enjoy the ride.

#96 ·
@Colers if you bought from the same dealer as @macca_779, I would be extremely confident all is well.
One question.......do you wear earplugs 100% of the time you ride the bike? If no, for your own sanity, I encourage you to buy disposables in bulk, and wear them without fail. Wearing them, all these peculiar noises aren't as much a prominent source of attention, allowing you to enjoy the ride.
highly recommend custom earplugs. I get mine from here for about ten dollars.

https://www.fullsource.com//radians-custom-molded-ear-plugs/

#6 · (Edited)
I have found on the forum that BMW have replaced the Timing Chain With a modified screw plug.
PUMA - 54380454
PART No. 11318534849
I believe I need that part. I don't want to put in a manual plug. the new plug sticks out further in its resting place than the stock oem plug. I guess its kinda like adjusting a manual plug so that it puts more force on the cam chain.
The PUMA report says:

"The threaded plug in silver is only
approved for installation once a milage
of 15000 km has been reached."

I actually talked to my dealers service department yesterday about the same PUMA case because I saw it on Real OEM website.

We both agreed that it is likely being replaced because the original part appears to be plastic and the superseded one is metal.

Reactions: Colers
#7 ·
The good thing about these forums is that, its so nice to know your never alone on these paths that make you feel so worried at the time your travelling down them, as I am with this ticking time bomb so it seems and feels to me. my gut is never wrong but I hope it is this time round.

I read these replies and realised with a feeling of confidence that things will work out just fine, and if it is difficult to solve then i know there are folks on here that are willing to point me in the right direction or at least try and offer good sound and experienced advice.

I don't know Macca personally but was informed by a sales rep that his blew up at a BMW ride day which is kinda amazing, considering it could of happened anywhere really. glad nothing happened to him as he seems like quite the character.

I am very much worried that if mine does blow that i may not be so lucky, I have seen a youtube video of a guys S1 blowing up while a race track straightaway, oil had sprayed out covering his rear wheel. but he managed to simply pull up on the over run area, the fella was reving his engine and spraying more oil out onto the track which is kinda dumb. If this had happened on a public road in a corner then its the kinda thing many don't walk away from, like for example sliding under a Truck.

imagine if this guy was just about to enter the corner at the end of the straight. can you say Hospital or worse. oil and wheels don't mix. broken bones hurt like crazy. the track is one place to crash but the open road, that can kill and theres no kitty litter or onsite ambo for immediate response.

The noise I have is getting worse and this is my Gut telling me so on top of it actually getting worse. The engine doesn't sound right at idle, it's intermittent where it will idle ok then kinda skip a beat ever so. it's not the typical tick we all have come to think is normal for a BMW motorcycle, which I still think is not. My 14RR ticked but never like this new 15RR, It's not smooth and kinda sounds like the cam is catching every now and then, I have seen many pics from you guys on here of your cams all chewed out and I really think this is what is happening to mine. I want my cam inspected as I feel it could be the issue. But what if the BMW Head Tech/mechanic says its normal and doesn't want to investigate further, that leaves me with only 2 other dealers togo see, which is stupid really.

So many of you have had to visit other dealers that are always so far away and not to mention so annoyingly inconvenient and all because one dickhead in charge who makes the big decisions says he can't hear it or took it for a 10km ride and never really tried to diagnose it. then theres the fact that the helmet he wore may have great noise reduction, which would have him believe it doesn't need to be put in the shed for a more serious investigation, like checking the cam. so worried I am that i am going to get a clown who should not be working on these missiles of a bike. Why is it that people in positions of slight power treat customers according to how they feel on the day, Mood should never come into it.

If a customer has an issue than protocols should be followed, not because the mechanic is feeling moody or says he can't hear anything or worse tries to tell you its normal so that you go away. my tail is never between my legs and I will not accept the go away explanation what so ever, this is my life here.

I have made a video clip of the bike from cold and will make another of it hot so you can hear the noise more, But after watching the vid in cold start up, it really doesn't do the ticking sound any justice. I will try and get it up tomorrow but feel it really doesn't do the evil sound any justice what so ever.

I really hope that my dealer looks after me well and fully inspect my bike. Surely they will investigate this properly as i really don't want togo down the legal road with the department of fair trading and so on.

I hear a lot of you in reply to similar threads and you encourage others facing these issues to Not give up the fight, its that fact about myself i am most concerned about, As i never back down and its just better for everyone to do their job correctly as i will fight very hard and would rather not go through that. As i burn bridges and know its not right, i am working on this personal issue about myself but seriously know myself and know that if its a fight they want then its a fight they will not forget.

Fingers crossed they take this concern of mine seriously and investigate it properly. i should not have to drive all over trying to find a BMW dealer who will listen properly, no one should have to do this, its a joke.

I am worried and with so many horror stories just on this forum alone, I have every right to be so concerned.

I will get back to you all when i have spoken with BMW and get it booked in.

I can't believe some of the horror stories I have read in here, some of you have found good dealers who find major issues like chewed out cams, what if on the way to that helpful dealer after leaving the crap dealer who did not do his/her job correctly your engine blew and you ended up under a truck or something horrible like that. If that 1st dealer/your dealer helped you out then you would still be alive or not in hospital.

These BMW bikes and any bike manufacture really all have issues but this thing about unhelpful BMW dealers is not good enough, I'm hearing it all to often. it's basically putting your life in the hands of one guy who if he's in a bad mood that day you take your bike in could have you riding to the next BMW dealer so many X miles away, and not to mention the horror of something bad happening while making that trip, As most of us don't do anything until we know something isn't right with our bike. Like putting up with this ticking sound until it gets worse and we start to have that gut feeling that something is seriously not right.

It works any which way really, could happen at any moment. you get told by a lazy mechanic its a normal noise and maybe your lucky enough like so many to keep riding your pride and joy putting up with a **** noise and nothing bad ever happens, so the greater % of people don't have a blown engine. the greater % of people also ride at the speed limits and keep their bikes well under the higher rpms which would help prolong the underlining issue of a possible bad batch of cams. only time will tell for that crowd, for those who ride hard we will accelerate any underling issues much faster.

It's only luck that has kept those who have had the blown engine to still be alive and here today to talk about it. I do not want to become the unlucky one. I do not want any of us to be that one.

It takes a special kinda person to ride any bike, we do it because we love life. luck plays her part and skill improves and helps. we ride with our guts and some ride to see another day because of this feeling deep in our gut.

I reckon there are a lot more horror stories to come from the cams being chewed out because BMW them selves have apparently said that the metallurgy in some of the cams is soft hence the horror pics on this very forum of chewed out ones.

How many of you accept this noise and ride under 10k rpm 90% of the time, the day you ride hard enough to start to chew that cam because your bike is part of the bad batch, could be your last. Percentages really do play a big part with this ticking engine sound. We all know some of the engines in the S1's are perfect even the stupid flappy/rattle of the front exhaust valve doesn't happen for some.

Some one like Macca who as far as I can tell rides hard has had his blow, for most of us here, we fit into the percentage of people who stay under 10k rpm most of the time and never wear the cam enough to cause failures, and the whole time being told the tick is normal. Not all cases are the same some change the entire exhaust and install manual cam plugs and still get that tick. in those cases its most probably the cam getting chewed.

How many bikes I wonder are having their cams chew out. Some of you believe its a normal sound this ticking, some of you replace the exhaust system and that certain rattle goes and all is good, others replace the cam plug and all is good. None of us ride the same. Some of us have perfect working bikes. But for those who do everything except have their cams inspected, well its a ticking time bomb in my opinion, and how you ride is everything then.

Tick Tock so to speak.

BMW's top flight bike ticking like a bomb. is it normal. NO. even if it was just a exhaust valve or a cam plug or whatever. It's a BMW. it should be silky smooth. and we should not be made feel like a fool when we question this tick at any BMW dealer in the world. Treat us with care BMW. we bought these bikes because we wanted something better. these issues regarding this ticking are caused by a number of things, some are easy fixes some are not so serious and for the unlucky ones it a matter of life and death. chewed cams, every BMW dealer should know about this and not act so dumb, if it ticks they should inspect it starting with the front butterfly valve and going down the list.

I do not accept the : "It's a normal sound." and either should anyone else in my opinion. BMW dealers should properly investigate not just say it's ok. peace of mind is everything when you own something as powerful as these S1's.

#8 ·
The good thing about these forums is that, its so nice to know your never alone on these paths that make you feel so worried at the time your travelling down them, as I am with this ticking time bomb so it seems and feels to me. my gut is never wrong but I hope it is this time round.

I read these replies and realised with a feeling of confidence that things will work out just fine, and if it is difficult to solve then i know there are folks on here that are willing to point me in the right direction or at least try and offer good sound and experienced advice.
Couple things - @macca_779 is the only engine I've ever read that completely expired. This community by no means includes ALL S1000 engined owners in the world either. Having said that, good news travels fast, bad news much faster. If there were more engines that have grenaded, (especially in this 3rd generation, with this chassis issue some seem to have), it seems more than likely it would have been announced by the amount of owners who were affected. Yet Macca_779 is the only one, and he wasn't even disgruntled about it, or at least didn't seem so, to me. If grenading engines were a "prominent issue" I'm certain, those affected would have found this site through Google, or whatever other search platform, joined the forum, to rant and rave how much BMW sucks donkey balls, much like one fella did, with the chassis issue.

Number next - Why have you not PM'd the King Kamehameha himself @bennymx? No clue how far apart in travel time, but at least you have a member such as him, in the same country. If I were as upset/unsettled as you seem, it would have been done long before someone mentioned it to me on the internet. Not trying to come off as a D ick but c'mon, I can't be the only person in here who hasn't had that very thought cross my mind.

Number after next - This is THE MOST powerful, mass produced (when in RR spec) inline 4 cylinder, 1 liter naturally aspirated, streetbike ever, it's probably going to have some unfamiliar quirks.

Number after that - Could be worse, Yamaha is only replacing transmissions in their top tier performance model, AT THE DEALER LEVEL. Having met SOME (they're not all idiots, but how would you know if a competent/caring tech did the work) of those blokes over the years, I'd have the fear of doom and gloom, well after that campaign were completed if I owned an R1, and without doubt immediately sell it as quickly as possible.

#9 · (Edited)
The amount of chewed cams are enough to concern anyone, they eventually would cause a disaster like a blow. I am worried and i am concerned.

I have PM'd Bennymx and am awaiting his reply I wanted to see what you out there in this community have to say.

I am concerned for those who accept the status quo.

Chewed cams can cause engine seizures. those that have had it discovered early are lucky.

I hope my story ends well. i am ready to fight though.

Like I said percentages rule. A lot of guys don't use these forums because of some people on them who have ego problems who nest in here and attack others because they are weaklings in real life...

Google may put those looking for answers in here sometimes, but many don't bother. Every BMW staff member across 3 dealers I have spoken to especially the older guys almost laugh when you mention that you googled something or read these forums. it seems to be the young guys that are switched on. and a lot of the very people who make the big decisions like inspecting a problem on these bikes like chewed out cams are of the older type.

thanks for your reply mate. all considered.

I am UPSET. yes.

Internet or not - i would be upset as it is not feeling right to me. i am acting as per it is feeling **** now, not because i read it on the interwebs. did I understand you correctly mate.

#12 · (Edited)
The amount of chewed cams are enough to concern anyone, they eventually would cause a disaster like a blow. I am worried and i am concerned.

I have PM'd Bennymx and am awaiting his reply I wanted to see what you out there in this community have to say.
thanks for your reply mate. all considered.

I am UPSET. yes.

Internet or not - i would be upset as it is not feeling right to me. i am acting as per it is feeling **** now, not because i read it on the interwebs. did I understand you correctly mate.
What I'm about to say, is from my recollection, so if I am wrong, I'm quite certain somebody will address it via a link to correct information......

The cam problem was only prevalent in the 1st generation '10-'11.

Conrods were a problem mainly at the start of production of 2nd gen bikes ~'12 being the only model year affected.

My point, whether anyone else shared it, is in this age of INSTANT INFORMATION bad publicity is the savages' tool of destruction. When someone makez an accusation (false or valid) in the modern world, if there is ever a retraction, I have never seen it circulated with the same fervor as the original. Furthermore in our respective markets, the S1000RR is a premium priced model when compared to it's direct competition from the big 4 from Asia. Knowing only this, I feel much more than simply confident/certain, that in today's society, if there were even 1 more engine such as @macca_779, that owner (or his/her family if unable) would have made it their mission to get the "word out" of the potential danger. This forum is immensely easy to find, it would not be an enormous undertaking by any stretch of the imagination to do so. Yet only Macca, who was already a member here, had the unfortunate fall upon him. Not one other soul anywhere, has had that experience, and knowing It's a premium priced toy, if there were, it would have been soiled all over the interests. BMW could not stop it, unless it were untrue.

You are reading so much crap, yet how certain can you be of it's validity? Patience pays infinite dividends.

If you are this vocal, though, @bennymx may be gun-shy in responding to a private message from you, with another, if his gut is telling him the other party may share it publicly.

I'll be 46 in a few months, my 15 does not live on the street anymore, because as not young as I am, I would not have a license, and probably my freedom. The bike is not fun to ride for me when obeying all traffic laws, no wheelies, 70mph speed limit, etc. I am a commercial driver, I need my license for income, I got pulled over one time, after riding back from a night making passes at the dragstrip. That warning I received made me grateful to the officer, because I'd lose my job, and for making me realize how much I didn't truly get ANY enjoyment riding this thing on the street at "pedestrian pace". The county I live in is nicknamed "Arrest-a-field" for good reason, when it comes to traffic enforcement. The only things that I think could possibly saved my ass is, I did NOT try to run, and immediately acknowledged the officer and pulled over. I was able to produce several time slips from earlier in the evening showing terminal speeds in excess of 145mph in the standing quarter mile, and the cop owned a GSX-R 750, maybe he had never seen a BMW S1000RR up close before, the nearest dealer is an hour and a half away, LOL.
Since that evening my bike goes to the dragstrip, and to trackdays, that's it, in the back of my Honda Odyssey minivan......respect the van.

Does it make noise, yes, an assload, but it haulz an assload too! 250lbs fully suited.
:surprise:

Some of the things you've brought up could be variables such as a bad batch of gasoline. You could have just dropped petroleum in your tank right after it was delivered via truck/lorry, or whatever you Aussies call it, and filters on the pumps or not, contaminates get stirred up and can get by and into the consumer's tank. There are so many things causing an irregular idle, I simply want to point out more than one potential possibility, than essentially the one you've focused on.
:smile2:

#11 ·
Yeah mate I am venting prematurely. i should shut up now. and wait for the out come, but just have this gut feeling I am going to be stuck with a noise that will drive me crazy as it is. I just hope its something stupid like a exhaust valve or cam tensioner.

I will try and get that vid up today.

I MUST stop venting on these forums. it helps me as i have anger management issues but i guess it's not fair for all who bother to read me crying.

Sorry to all who find my venting annoying enough to have to reply to it in that capacity.

NO MORE VENTING FROM ME.

#14 ·
Just to Be clear.

I LOVE my S1,

and i will fix this tick tock either myself or with the warranty.

it will be fixed.

it's the best bike i have ever owned.
well maybe almost.

I don't want anyone to think i don't love these bikes.
I just needed venting is all folks.

LOVE MY 15RR.

#16 ·
Ill be the lone dissenter here. You wrote an entire novel to project your fears about how, what may or may not be a problem, will be handled:confused: They haven't even seen the bike yet???
Then you post 3 videos of random bikes other than your own to demonstrate the huge problems these bikes have. No video of your own bike that was promised?
I owned a 2012 S1000RR that I ran to 17K miles and now have 2015 with 3K on it. They both tick and run like bats outa hell.
Who knows if your problem is real or imagined, but either way I pity the service team who ultimately takes a look:wink2:

#17 ·
me to mate.
video will come I've been up all night and am tired as.
you sum up my thread well.

thanks for reading my rant. and sorry at the same time.
i love this bike and wish it was perfect.

thanks for your 2 cents mate. it all helps me in my quest to shorten my rants in the future.

#20 ·
so these bikes sound like crap and thats the accepted norm.

So is the earth a globe as well.

i kinda did not expect some of these replies, sounds like some of you are more sensitive then me.

I'm upset and I have ranted.

How the weather will change if my cam is chewed.

Maybe and hopefully it is nothing serious.

I will fix the tick so maybe I will have the only quite S1 as i will not stop until it is fixed.

I can't just accept **** like that.

am I sorry for this. you bet.

#23 ·
so these bikes sound like crap and thats the accepted norm.

I can't just accept **** like that.

am I sorry for this. you bet.

Bro, we still don't know what you are talking about. You have all this time to jockey your keyboard, but don't have enough time to post a proper video. Yes, these bikes tick. Yes, it's fine with me. No, we don't know how loud your bike is. What sounds like crap to you maybe fine with others. Go buy a Honda.

#21 ·
First of all this is an expensive bike. I'm pretty anal about mine too and I worry about them both. Repairs are also expensive so you obviously don't want troubles if you can avoid them. It's perfectly ok to worry as it makes you aware of a potential problem.

When you let the worry outweigh your ability to enjoy something to paid a lot of money for what's the point of owning it at all? You aren't getting anything out of that interaction other than worry. Worrying won't fix the engine nor prevent the engine from blowing up if that's what it wants to do.

BMW has a pretty amazing warranty on these bikes. Unlike other manufacturers they truly stand behind their product. Many owners of the 2010 model bikes that had some severe engine issues had their bikes fixed. Some of them even outside of the warranty period as a courtesy because of the known problem. BMW also realizes these bikes are used at the track and generally does not play the "abuse" game unless the bike has really been abused. They take mine for service with track worn tires in and don't ever say a word about them. If there's truly a problem BMW will make it right.

What would I suggest? Stop worrying and enjoy your bike. For many years to come BMW will have your back on this. Your concerns are notated in the bike's service history and even if you get beyond the warranty and it blows up you could very well talk to BMW and they will help you out.

Even if BMW can't help out by the time this bike is out of warranty the costs of a used engine will be a lot lower due to all of the wrecked bikes in the used market and potentially the bike being replaced by a newer model.

Stop worrying. And use some earplugs. Your hearing and ability to concentrate while riding will thank you!

#22 ·
Thank you mate, your most kind. i will take your advice and worry less and i agree BMW do have a great warranty history.

I will get ear plugs today, i will put my bike back together and enjoy it.
Guys like you are what guys like me need to listen to.

i hate that i have upset forum members so it seems.

I Love my bike and everyone that owns one has made the right choice in my opinion.

i will make it silent. starting with faith in the ear plugs and then the BMW warranty and then whatever has to be done to get it purring like it did when it was new.

It will happen. it will not tick.

#25 ·
I would advise you to stop worrying as well. Be cautious of any mods you do that might affect warranty. So in case anything happens a dealership won't give you a hard time dealing with repairs. This is what makes me think twice about flashing ECU or any mods that would make a dealership reject a warranty claim.

#26 ·
Good advice on the parts. Despite aftermarket parts BMW still will warranty the bike for manufacturing defects. The problem comes when things become a shade of gray. BMW wants to do the right thing for the customer because they want you to buy more bikes. Other manufacturers often play the "shades of gray" game to save money.

BMW has an entire line of performance parts for these bikes that come with 100% warranty support. The HP power kit and Race ECU and RCK offer owners the ability to get better performance out of their bike without having to go 3rd party. Lots of 3rd party companies make lots of claims but you don't see them with WSBK teams or selling that technology to customers like BMW does.

#30 ·
Great points guys.

Thanks again.

A sticky should be made about The rattles we hear.
And it should say, "It's normal, now shut Up.."

Protocols should rule over dealers moods, they are trained ain't they to deal with customers of all types.

I don't like being at the mercy of a personal relationship when dealing with a business. Protocols should rule.

I now have faith i did not before that BMW will do all they can to help. i am always polite.

I do not think people who try and divide the brotherhood are good people.

Some are sincere as they are good people.

#31 ·
Sorry you feel like you've upset the majority, or even the minority. It shouldn't matter, perception wise, but to some people it does.

I'm not trying to belittle you, not even remotely. I do think you probably should be a bit more insistent with your dealer. For instance, if they say it's sounds just like all the rest of the RR's, have them prove it to you, by taking a showroom model (New or Used, as long as it is the same generation as yours) and starting it up and run it through the same rpm's and temperature parameters where you have found the noise to be unnerving. If they match, or are very similar, I'd say yes you should just wear the earplugs I suggested in my first response.
If it turns out to dramatically different in sound level, then I would expect the dealer to be concerned, and investigate properly, possibly apologize.

Seems like the path of least resistance, unless you run across another with the same model year bike as yours and you could audibly compare them yourself, independently of the dealer.

So if it turns out you find that it is the nature of the beast and yours really is no different than most, it seems like selling it might be the only alternative, if it is a constant distraction to your enjoyment.

:serious:

#37 ·
UPDATE.

The ticking oh the ticking...

To be clear this ticking is above the normal mechanical sound of these bikes.

So. This morning I went to see my Dealer and spoke to the Head Master Technician, who informed me that he had just returned from New Zealand where they had a conferance about this very thing. He said there are 80+ known bikes so far with this issue. which he then explained to me that even with the new bmw modified cam plug installed, the cam chain is still way to loose.

He went on to say that when you get the 1st service and ride it hard then this is why some people have it develop sooner rather then the other people who ride it all tame like.

What else did he say, Man I was so relieved to know I was right all this time I can't remember it all.

Basically as of yesterday BMW will start to chase up people within a certain batch No. and so on to get them to bring their bikes in for a check up using a new tool they have just got for checking the play in the cam chain and something else?.... He also said its happening to other models in the 2015+ range.

I knew I was right, I knew I could trust my feelings, as he said some people are just more intune with their bikes then others. I said how so many people on these forums are saying its normal, and he said, no this ticking should not be there. we both acknowledged the typical mechanical sounds and he said that some people just have no idea.

Oh, it can also be felt through the handle bars if you wear thin enough gloves, the ticking vibrates. the engine also idles a little rough(jumpy)

We spoke of the factors that play into self diagnosing it, for example some people have ear buds, iPods, quite helmets and some listen to others who say its normal and ride around thinking it is. It is not.

I never posted a video because I am dumb apparently. i don't know how to post a video and frankly after being treated like I was a Paranoid jerk, i decided not to. To all those people who listened and offered concern to me and tried to help, THANKYOU.

I will probably think of more things he said to me as time ticks over, so I will add them in here. right now I am waiting for the 6th-monday, as it is booked in and ready to get its treatment.

It's a nice feeling trusting your own instincts/experience and not standing inline like the other sheeple.

0:)

#45 · (Edited)
So. This morning I went to see my Dealer and spoke to the Head Master Technician, who informed me that he had just returned from New Zealand where they had a conference about this very thing. He said there are 80+ known bikes so far with this issue. which he then explained to me that even with the new bmw modified cam plug installed, the cam chain is still way to loose.
Well this sounds familiar... Is your dealer at daisy hill by any chance? Had my RR in there on monday for a service and was told the same thing when inquiring about ticking sounds and cold start problems. Mine isn't as bad as yours but I do have a fun time trying to start it on really really cold mornings. Here it is in action. . BMW are working on a fix I am told and it will be software update in the future to fix the problem of it cutting out when starting cold.

#40 · (Edited)
mp4 format is not allowed. man after trying to use samsung smartswitch and then going back to the kies program because i have an older Galaxy phone, this is annoying. hang in there i will convert this mp4 some how. its over 200mb so i don't know if it will upload using the forum.

stupid me, technologies.

youtube link above.

#41 ·
Thanks for the update. Information like this is REALLY helpful to other owners that may have the same troubles. Heck it's even probably helpful for BMW dealers that can Google this thread and use it as a point of reference to find the internal information.

Something important to keep in mind. It's really easy to make judgements and guesses about a problem that someone else is having. Even I suggested earplugs and not to worry about it. Obviously it's a serious enough problem where BMW is worried about it too. Lesson learned for me.

I'm really glad you are moving in the right direction to get this resolved!

#47 ·
Wow I dont come on here much but this is the same subject from day one , a chewed cam or a pot hole opened up or a flattened cam gone south . How can BMW not get it right after 6 years of production ?
My 2010 has been fine I guess its the luck of the draw .:confused::confused:

#49 ·
Wow, so the cold start issue is something others are seeing as well.

Mine started doing it after I installed the RapidBike system and it is nowhere near as bad as the video above but it will "chuff" for a few moments at idle on initial start for about 10 seconds and then kick in to normal idle. I attributed it to the RapidBike system and have lived with it as it is not that bad and only lasts a few seconds.

That ticking in the video is crazy though. My bike doesn't sound anything like that.

#51 ·
I have the bad ticking at start up as well. I made a topic about it early last year actually. Tried to get video of it but back then only had a phone for video. I also have hard cold starts. When it was actually winter it was very hard to start up while my other bikes would simply fire right up.

I keep thinking mine is going to snap something. When it does i have plenty of proof i have been having issues with it.

My bikes is actually great. I just dont like the start up sounds!!! Cold start- ok thats fine whatever but the start up rattle sucks.

#53 · (Edited)
As far as i Know that start up is the cam chain. You could get BMW to install the updated cam plug under warranty which is a little longer and is silver on the outside end not black like the original. BMW are saying though like mine that this stretched cam chain is still an issue they are trying to fix and will in time for us all.