BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Front fork stand?

12K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  28474 
#1 · (Edited)
I've read many threads regarding front stands with various pros and cons. But based on the 2015 RR service manual, it shows this front stand with pins to the holes under the forks.

Harris-performance also has this FRONT "UNDER FORK" SPIGOT TYPE STAINLESS STEEL PADDOCK STAND with bike specific spigot. This looks pretty much the same as the BMW front under fork stand. Harris Paddock Stands

Has anyone used this kind of front stand? I looked at the forks and there is a hols under each of them. But there is a gap with two screws there. I'm not sure if the force to lift the front wheel up will widen that gap and cause damage? But it sure looks like safer and easier to operate than any other front stands I have seen.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I've seen that. But the BMW and Harris under fork type of stands just seem to be more secure. I just have never used anything like them before and don't know if they will cause any issues.

#6 ·
Thanks for the votes on Pit-Bull. I know how it is since I had one for my 2012 RR. I'm simply curious about the under-fork style stand. I'm also looking for a better one, if there is.

#7 ·
Pit-bull stands are the default. Moto-D are also great.

Larry Pegram's suspension mechanic (for his S1000RR AMA days) strongly discourages using under-fork stands; he suggest the steering head type stands, which you can't use with stock BMW brake lines (because the brake line splitter blocks under-the-steering-head access.

Put some aftermarket Spiegler lines on it and get a steering head stand from Pit-Bull, and you are good.

Or, you could get the Moto-D front and rear stands with 3 wheels each. My friend Jeff has those, and he can wheel his bike around at the track while it is on stands.

Reactions: cyclesailor955
#9 ·
Pit-bull stands are the default. Moto-D are also great.

Larry Pegram's suspension mechanic (for his S1000RR AMA days) strongly discourages using under-fork stands; he suggest the steering head type stands, which you can't use with stock BMW brake lines (because the brake line splitter blocks under-the-steering-head access.

Put some aftermarket Spiegler lines on it and get a steering head stand from Pit-Bull, and you are good.
I have used the Pit Bull front steering head stand with stock brake lines. You have to unscrew the retaining bolt for the brake lines and push them out of the way. I did this and never reattached them. Have had zero problems doing that even in race conditions.

Or, you could get the Moto-D front and rear stands with 3 wheels each. My friend Jeff has those, and he can wheel his bike around at the track while it is on stands.
The front and rear stands with casters that I use were made by Redline. Unfortunately, they no longer make stands. :( Which is really too bad because they also use pins for under the front forks.

Front fork stands aren't stable. Get a lift.
Front fork stands that use pins are super-stable.

#13 ·
it is ok to use, but because it puts pressure on the underside of the forks it won't allow freedom to swap out your forks, adjust their position or change the wheel alignment (since the stand puts the weight of the bike on the forks it is hard to modify the fork position on the axle, or where the calipers sit. I just installed a new front brake system and not having a triple tree stand made several things really inconvenient. After the weekend I put my under-the-bottom type of fork stand up for sale and will either buy a Pit Bull or Moto D.

#15 ·
it will be fine for swapping tires. This type of stand is the most common, so buy it without hesitation.

A select few, like me, find the added capabilities of a triple tree stand worth the little bit of inconvenience you have to bear in using it. I have been considering getting a Bursing (SV Racing) stand to use at the track, but I know that some people don't like using that type of a stand. I have never tried one, but it seems really convenient to use.

#16 ·
it will be fine for swapping tires. This type of stand is the most common, so buy it without hesitation.

A select few, like me, find the added capabilities of a triple tree stand worth the little bit of inconvenience you have to bear in using it. I have been considering getting a Bursing (SV Racing) stand to use at the track, but I know that some people don't like using that type of a stand. I have never tried one, but it seems really convenient to use.

It's free :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I use the SV racing "lift" stand (copy of Bursig's stand) at the track all the time and love it. Once you practice using it a few times, it becomes very fast to get warmers off and lower the bike. Way faster than my buddies using front and rear stands. Also great for long term (winter) storage and front end work. That would be my recommendation.

#18 ·
I too use the SVracing stand. But just for storage purposes, it's super solid, but it also wobbles. However there is a 400+lb mass being held up by a 3in square post so it's to be expected. It HAS exceeded my expectations so far.

When I need unequivocal stability I use my pitbull stands.

#19 · (Edited)
For you two whom are using the SV Racing (Bursig style) stand, do you think you could get it to work inside a trailer?
I have a 7.5 foot wide race trailer with diamond plate rubber flooring and I suspect that the Bursig style stand might not work well inside the trailer--both because I think the trailer isn't wide enough and because the diamond plate flooring is going to make it so that it can't move, inside.

My best friend bought one for his S1000RR but he hasn't put it together or tested it yet. He has flat tile flooring in his 20 foot race trailer so I suspect he could use it in his trailer if he wanted to, but I don't think I can in mine (I don't think I have enough room to ride the bike in, next to the stand, and then roll the stand under the bike). At the track it would probably work great though.

#20 · (Edited)
I don't think it would work well in your trailer.

My floor in the garage is pocked up from turning previous bikes around on the side stand. But the SV stand rolls well. It does not travel in a straight line though, for example if you want to move the bike while on the stand in a straight line it will rotate while you're moving it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.