BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Fairings for track AND street?

16K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  Perchowski 
#1 ·
I mostly ride my 2012 on the street, but do a few track days each summer. I want to buy track fairings because stock are too expensive to replace when damaged, but I want to be able to ride them on the street, also. I've been able to find bits and pieces of info from various threads but am having trouble putting it all together - does anyone know of track fairings (or a combination of fairings) that would allow me to still ride on the street? I would need to be able to support the stock seat(s), lights, exhaust, signals, etc and would just tape them for track days. Basically a cheaper, more durable stock setup that is okay for track use (flexible with bellypan, etc). I figure it's easier to just paint something like that and ride it on both street and track than to constantly swap out the fairings when i'm going to the track. I live in NYC with extremely limited space to store and work on the bike.

Thanks

#2 ·
Look for a supersport style tailsection. This style uses the stock seat. The Superbike style, is a complete shell that closes off the area that allows the use of the stock seat. It's a personal preference thing, not one is better than the other.

As far as the rest, you would do well to search for an endurance upper in the kit too.

Finally the easiest, least expensive thing to do especially if you have a pre 3rd generation bike, is to buy the $600 Chinese OEM replacement kit, that are saturated on eBay. There are members on the forum that have chimed in and swear by them. Both on cost and fitment.........Low and no issues.
:smile2:

#29 · (Edited)
Finally the easiest, least expensive thing to do especially if you have a pre 3rd generation bike, is to buy the $600 Chinese OEM replacement kit, that are saturated on eBay. There are members on the forum that have chimed in and swear by them. Both on cost and fitment.........Low and no issues.
:smile2:
This is what I would do (might actually do myself). Keep in mind that even Sharkskinz will have fitment issues here and there. Proper track bodywork will be more resilient if you lowside, but the Chinese fairings are already painted and look pretty cool. I have friends that have done the swap to Chinese fairings and echo the same feedback about problem free fit.

#4 ·
Thank you both. I was looking at the cheap eBay stock fairings, which also conveniently come painted, but I wasn't sure of the fitment. I'll definitely check that out again. And I'll look into the various options of supersport vs superbike again. The eBay option really might be the best if they are good enough quality.

Sharkskinz were also on my list, but I read that they don't fit the stock exhaust without some tweaks. Armour Bodies sells a kit that does, but not sure if it accommodates my other requirements. Maybe this is an excuse to fit a new exhaust while I'm at it :grin2:

#5 · (Edited)
I know the search function does not always eak out exactly what one might inquire about but try "Chinese fairings" or "Chinese bodywork".

I can't remember exactly who but for sure there were at least 2 from Washington state that had bought kits and swear the fit was spot on.

Another few mentioned the paint could have been a little better but $600 versus well over $2000 for OEM, kind of moot. @Seraphim38 I think was one of them, and @M-Coupe99.

Here's a link to a thread that shows pics in post 2 and 5 of examples of the eBay stuff........http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/new-members-must-start-here/98985-any-custom-s1000-rrs.html

#7 ·
Yes this is true; there is myself and another rider who bought one of the eBay kits (though mine was bought second hand off this board).

Anyway, both kits lined up perfectly and get plenty of compliments. I have debated about getting track fairings but I could buy another complete set for the cost of raw, unpainted fairings, so I don't really care that much. The paint isn't really that bad.

Reactions: 5150 Pops
#9 ·
I bought a replica HP4 fairing kit off Ebay in 2014 from a vendor named bliss-star-express. The cost was about $700 (including shipping). Fitment was pretty good, just a couple minor flaws in the paint, alignment was pretty good as well, didn't need to do any drilling to get them to fit properly. After having them on for about 2 years now, the only change I noticed is some minor bubbling under a couple of the stickers.

#10 ·
I was checking out eBay fairings yesterday and there are plenty of options from $350-$850. Bliss falls right in that range. Of course, they all guarantee that they are true injection molds and are perfect fits, but you never know until you get them. Still, the price of those plus a bellypan is cheaper than unpainted track fairings and, for my limited use, it probably makes more sense.

#11 ·
I got an unpainted chinese set for less than 400 shipped. The seller was actually in CA and offered me a free return up to 15 days after buying.

The fitting is perfect, even for lights and mirrors. I didn't install the turn lights, so I can't tell about those.
I reused all the hardware.

The finishing in the unpainted version is not good, some light scratches and it just doesn't look good.

Only bad thing I heard about these chinese fairings is that they are too brittle and shatter in a crash. I didn't crash, so I can't tell. They feel more brittle that the stock though.
The thing is that the fairings should protect the frame and engine on a slide by staying in one piece.
I also have frame sliders and case covers, but you never know what's gonna happen on a crash, right?
Just in case, I put sliders on the axles and swing arm as well.

#12 ·
I got an unpainted chinese set for less than 400 shipped. The seller was actually in CA and offered me a free return up to 15 days after buying.
Was the seller Fairingwold? I saw those and the price is definitely good and shipped from CA is a bonus. Thanks for the tip; good to know those work well. I'll probably try them out in a painted version for a little more.

I don't expect them to hold up well in a crash, but I'd expect them to tolerate a few slides, like you said. I have all the standard protection, as well.

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, Fairingwold. This is what I got:

Injection ABS Unpainted Plastic Bodywork Fairing Kit for BMW S1000RR 2010 2012 | eBay

Now you can also make them an offer.

They aren't as flexible as the OEM, but you can work with them. I put the front cowl in and out several times, pulling and pushing with care and never broke any tab. The side panels come in and out very easily. I never touched the tail again since I installed it.

#15 ·
For those interested, I finally got around to installing the fairings. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality and fit. Short summary below to hopefully help those considering a similar solution to track the bike without risking the insanely expensive OEM fairings and still keep it street (and 2up) ready:

• Packaging was well done. Each piece individually wrapped and box was sturdy
  • Paint was uniform, clear coated and unscratched. It's not the same black "metallic" or "sparkle" that BMW uses, but it's shiny black.
  • As advertised, the plastic was ABS injection molded and the holes are part of the mold and not drilled. Surprisingly, the holes were perfect and I didn't need to drill or widen any of them. I will say that the plastic is stiffer than track plastics, so I'm sure they are more susceptible to cracking on impact. That said, they were also half the price of track plastics and are virtual replicas of OEM fairings.
  • If you disregard the fact that our bikes are put together with an almost laughable number of bolts compared to other bikes, installation was a breeze. Everything lined up perfectly. The only advantage to track plastics in this regard is that there are less pieces, so there are far less bolts to put back on once you take the stock fairings off.
  • As far as fitment is concerned, it's almost perfect. There are some slight gaps between the side fairings and the plastic intermediate fairing that goes between the tank cover and the side fairings (if that explanation made sense), and there are small gaps on one side of each headlight, but it's not noticeable unless you look closely. It may be more noticeable on a non-black bike, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Overall, I'm glad I went this route. I can retain the passenger seat, the headlights, the mirrors and the stock look without having to pay for a paint job, and I'm also more comfortable tracking the bike knowing that the $450 I paid for the whole set is half of the price of one individual OEM fairing. If this bike is ever relegated to track-only duty I'll buy track plastics, but until then this is a great solution. I'd recommend eBay user Fairingwold if you are considering this. It seems that QC is at least good enough that more than one person is happy with them.

#16 ·
Thanks for the review.
Mine (same ebay seller) have been on the bike for about 3000 miles now. A couple of weeks ago I took them off for some maintenance and found some heat bobbles on the inside of one of the side panels, where it seats closest to the frame, so you may want to put some insulation. Mine don't have any kind of insulation. The lower panels didn't get any heat damage from the pipes.

#17 ·
Thanks Mariano; good to know. I bought some heat shield and put it on the lower fairings, but didn't think to put it higher up away from the pipes. Cosmetically, I don't mind bubbles on the inside of the fairings.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse and affect the integrity or look of your fairings. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

#18 ·
Would these fairings fit a 2015RR? On Ebay link it says 2010-2012

Did you use OEM screws/bolts or fairings came with their own?

#22 ·
All years of fairings will fit and bolt up including tank and tank trim. If you change tank trim pieces do them all together to make it fit. Nose fairings will fit the newer bikes however you must use older headlights and older windscreen to match. I have put them on my 2011 and 2015 and swapped between. As long as all of the pieces are from the 2010-2014 and 2015-2016 they will fit. A complete tail from each generation will bolt up and plug directly in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
All years of fairings will fit and bolt up including tank and tank trim.

@z00 if the above is true, then you should be all set. Mine fit great aside from a few small gaps. From your other posts, it sounds like you are probably in the same boat of not being ready to commit the bike to full time track duty, so this is a good solution for less cash.

#25 · (Edited)
This thread is killing me. It's making me wish I bought the Chinese stuff off Ebay.

I went all in with track plastics. My bike will end up looking like this. Ummm... except I have a real HP4 that has forged wheels and a full Akrapovic system.

If I had gone here:

Racing Fairing Moto XP: Racing Fairing, Fiberglass Fairing, Stickers, Paint Fairing, Stickers Kit, Decal Moto, Carbon Fairing, Abs Fairing, Spare Parts,Fairing Vintage Cafè Racer, Moto GP, SBK, Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, MV Augusta, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha,

clicked BMW model and the year/ Fairing Bodywork ABS painted, I'd have the dual use body work asked about in this thread. They have some really great custom paint jobs. Way more the the Chinese stuff.

#30 ·
Did you receive it and have pictures of it? I don't think you'll think the same if you've already installed your race fairings on you bike. Moto XP makes some gorgeous looking fairings.

#33 ·
Contacted ifairings and they can make a track-only version of their plastics for an extra $80 ($669 base), basically no front/rear light holes. Considering a single OEM side panel is >$600, it's a damn good deal. I was going to pay that much for the hotbodies which isn't even painted. Only downside is there is a 30 day leadtime. Not a problem in the offseason.

#34 ·
Yes, the set I posted a pic of has the headlight/taillight delete, AND the pillon seat delete (you can specify either way), yet retains the stock rider seat and street lower (no issues with kickstand). I was very pleased and they were very quick to respond. I will know more this weekend when I actually mount them and look for inconsistencies.

#38 ·
??????

Not understanding this much.
The ram air duct is in the OEM fairing stay, and the left and right side of the nose snap onto it. Self supporting.....right?
Don't see why additional means would be necessary to secure the nose cone assembly to the bike, other than the two attachment points where the mirrors would mount.
If I am missing something, surely when the side panels are secured to the upper on left and right side, then each of them secured to the frame on each side, again I fail to understand how the nose cone assembly wouldn't be absolutely secure?

#41 · (Edited)
Not understanding this much.
The ram air duct is in the OEM fairing stay, and the left and right side of the nose snap onto it. Self supporting.....right?
Don't see why additional means would be necessary to secure the nose cone assembly to the bike, other than the two attachment points where the mirrors would mount.
If I am missing something, surely when the side panels are secured to the upper on left and right side, then each of them secured to the frame on each side, again I fail to understand how the nose cone assembly wouldn't be absolutely secure?
The ram air duct does provide support; but the headlights appear to be major mounting points which also keep the separate sides together. Those snaps to the center piece might now be sufficient. I admit i might be over-cautious, but why not while I had the time to think about it. Here's a pic with it installed.

EDIT: THANKS for the link for postimage!

Attachments

#45 ·
Now that you uploaded the pics, I can see it. Not a fan of zipties, but i guess they get the job done.

Have you tested the fairings at high speed? 160mph+

Would OEM and aftermarket windscreen work with them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.