??? ROCKING the TUNES While Riding ??? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Default ??? ROCKING the TUNES While Riding ???

This weekend, a bunch of us are are going for a ride in the mountains.
Some of our Local guys came by our shop last night to pick up some Chatterbox Bluetooth Intercomís, mainly so they could listen to their MP3ís while they ride..

We know a lot of guys like to listen to tuneís while they ride.

Most of us here at the shop prefer to be able to hear whatís going on around us so we chose not to listen to music.

Just wondering What you guys think ?

Do you rock the tunes while you ride, or no. ?

Great Prices, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping, Large Inventory and Excellent Customer service.
Follow us on TWITTER & Facebook to get Exclusive SMOKIN' Deals

Celebrating our 14th year in business.
HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

For what I call "sport riding", no tunes. For traveling place to place, sure, but mostly because I need headphones to hear my GPS anyway.

- John
Technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I still haven't tried it, but very tempted on those long straight highway portions of a ride. Once I get to the twists and turns I completely forget that all I got is wind and/or the sound of my breathing.

What stops me is I don't want to get distracted/lost in a good song, but at the same time the constant unchanging wind and engine sounds lull me into a relaxed state.

So I probably need to try and compare and see which of music or no music promotes letting my mind wander too far from the riding itself.

build | pics | vids
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Two part for me. For new riders or someone still becoming proficient, their situational awareness is still being "tuned". These riders need to commit 100% of their senses to riding. No music.

For long time proficient riders, their situational awareness is already at it's peak. You know if you are going to take away hearing, you need to compensate by scanning more with your eyes. The main audible cue you can't see is a horn, but you know from experience why people use their horn so you translate that into visual cues. You can afford to do this because operating your bike is like moving the fingers on your hand... it's become natural. Music is ok.

I seldomly ride with music. I occassionally listen to music while riding the hour down to the track, but most of the time I just wear earplugs.

Last edited by GhastlyTT; 09-13-2012 at 09:18 AM.
GhastlyTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

When I street rode... I would listen to music on longer rides hitting the mountains/twisties/etc. I also wore ear plugs too. with all that, I could still hear what what going on, pull up to a stop light and have a talk w/my buddy waiting for the light to turn green. The bluetooth units mute pretty quick too and many adjust volume setting for speed (wind noise), so it doesn't get crazy when you slow down. To me it was no different than jamming to some tunes in my Jeep... except I could probably hear just as good if not better while riding.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Only on long slow rides even though I still hear everything I prefer to hear everything around me
GregSKRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSKRR View Post
Only on long slow rides even though I still hear everything I prefer to hear everything around me

That's the way we feel about it as well.

Great Prices, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping, Large Inventory and Excellent Customer service.
Follow us on TWITTER & Facebook to get Exclusive SMOKIN' Deals

Celebrating our 14th year in business.
HardRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Like Tecomancer, turn them off when I'm in the twisties, but back on for fun ride. Scala Rider Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Skygun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

i velcro the smallest ipod nano shuffle (bought for $20 on CL) to the side of my helmet and i have helmet speaks i bought off ebay velco'ed to the inside of the helmet. its a great setup i get like 6+ hours of music out of a single charge and its loud enough to where i dont have to turn it up all the way, and light enough i cant even feel its there. best of all no wires or ear buds to deal with
GunSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sena SMH10 is awesome for pairing to a bluetooth music device, GPS, and phone.
I do not use the phone function while riding. But music and GPS is great.
FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement