What is wrong with launching this S1000RR? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnieracing View Post
nope.. Stock ECU. DTC/ABS OFF. PC5 for refined tunes at every track location.

www.vimeo.com/irnie/fun
Disconnect the PC-V and see if it's the problem.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Damn you boys are scaring the sh*t out of me about talking her out for an extended trip.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Dyno testing with new ECU didn't change a thing. 165 on local dyno, and Nel's dyno consistantly showed 168 max rear wheel horsepower, with 74 torque. Back in April, the bike produced 184 on Nels Dyno, but only for one race weekend.

-pump fuel
-Power commander 5 unplugged

Last edited by irnieracing; 11-20-2012 at 11:30 PM.
irnieracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

have you tried doing a compression/leakdown test?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianvr4 View Post
have you tried doing a compression/leakdown test?
Yes. BMW Canada hired Rob Egan from Brooklin cycle go over the bike. Leakdown showed 4%, back in September, with the same power output.
irnieracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

during a dyno pull, watch the power commander screen to see if your throttles open 100%
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

any updates on if the pc5 was the problem or found any other solution?
504boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

I do not understand the launching trouble of this guy but it is true you cannot launch a S1000RR as a japanese bike.
I mean, for a race start, on a 1000 jap you can rev at 10K-11K rpm then drop the clutch until the slip point and in the same time open full throttle. Once the clutch grabs (stops slipping) shift the second gear, so before the redine (about 10-12K rpm).
But it is impossible to do like this with the S1000RR because the clutch plates are not as "bathing" in oil as a jap one. Open the clutch case and take a look on the plates, they are almost "dry", in anycase drier than any jap clutch. It is due to the high position of the clutch (a lot over the oil bath) and the small clutch oil jets. Of course, it is not the only reason you cannot slip S1000RR clutch as much as you want, there are other cluth design reasons too. For instance, you can buy the Alpha Racing modified OEM cluch to do a better slipping launching despite the plates keep "dry". This mod clutch is not perfect but better.
Keeping the OEM clutch, the solution is to remove the plates and bath them during one night in oil, the day after you can do a good slipping race lauching. But for pure hobby racing it is not nice!

I tried some workarounds and I found out a good enough one : rpm at 6K rpm, drop the clutch with no slipping effect then shift the second gear at about 11-12K rpm in order to be on the right rpm range for a good acceleration in 2nd gear. The first 10 meters are better than with a pure slipping launching but the meters after are a little bit worse. It is a compromise which is quite good regarding the mechanical side.

Hope you understand my basic english!
poiteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhastlyTT View Post
Maybe they're still tweaking it, but from the videos I've seen with launch control in action, the launches don't look that impressive. The videos could be deceiving though.
I've thought the same thing...looks rather sluggish on the vids I've seen.
solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

The funny things is, even with the botched launches, you can clearly see in his vid that he starts passing people immediately. The bike still pulls hard even when its not running correctly.
PrestonIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement