BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2010 making grinding noise

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 ·
Hello guys, need some assistance as to what I am having a problem with.

2010 s1k with 4000 miles.

Bike is used for track.

2 weeks ago I decided to start the bike up just to have it run. It was pretty cold, maybe about 35 degrees. Upon start up, it struggled a little but eventually fired up. (looks like my maintainer is not working properly).
I let it warm up for a little and decide to give it a few small revs, nothing serious. All the sudden I start hearing a weird grind noise (not sure how to explain this) when revving past 3000 rpm.
Let it idle for a little more to warm up, try it again, still does it.
the 3rd rev, engine shuts down. Now I'm thinking, crap what did I do.
Well started it back up to make sure, no problems, idles smoothly. But not revving this time.

Changed the oil in November and cleaned the airfilter. I'm running motul 300v. Started it up in December without any problems.

Now 2 weeks before this problem occurred, I added fuel stabilizer. Could this be causing me any problems?

Yesterday, changed oil. checked the drain plug, no terrible shavings shown.
Removed and cleaned all spark plugs.
Fire bike up, no problem at idle.
Rev the bike up, same problem again. But now I have another strange noise come up. This sounds like a car which has a squeaky belt on start up.

where can I start the troubleshooting? would the fuel with stabile cause me any problems?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
sound seems to be generating from the front of the engine. I will try and take a video tomorrow morning. Hopefully the exhaust don't distort the sound too much.
Id like to try and see what I can do on my end first. Dealer is pretty far away and I would have to trailer it. Also no warranty.

#10 ·
I have no build date information.

Is it possible to tell by VIN number? thought I read somewhere that the build date was decoded in there.

It was an acid green color.

Im having a friend stop over to use his gs tool to see if he finds anything.

#12 ·
The month and year of manufacture are on the VIN sticker, top right corner, format MMYY so something like 08 10. People are curious because there were quantitatively more issues with the first months of manufacture compared to the later ones. If it's engine related the GS911 probably won't show anything, but worth a try. Keep us informed.

#16 ·
Alright so i had my friend come over..ran the scan nothing popped up.
Started the bike and he thinks theres almost like a bearing sounds shot and almost as if the cam chain could be the culprit.
Found the build date, 0210.
So this was pretty early.

So i guess the next step is to call the dealer and see if he knows any recalls were performed by looking up the vin.
Will keep you guys posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.