BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Is it that easy?

10K views 51 replies 15 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 ·
Hi All, I ordered a Power Commander and saw the vid on installation. Seems straight forward enough, but I'm just wondering if it's really a bolt it in and go type of a deal, or do I need to find maps, etc, etc? I've never used one before and obviously know next to nothing!

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Andy

#2 ·
Andy, it really is. The biggest pain is finding the TPS wire in the harness under the gas tank. You can do the install without taking the tank off, but it's so much easier if you remove it. Depending on where you buy the PC, they may have already loaded a map for you, or you can get one from the PC website that will be close enough to get you started. Just post up here if you run into any issues.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I ordered it from Amazon and it's being shipped from Motomummy. It's a Power Commander 5. Would you suggest I find maps before installing it or just plug it straight in, so to speak?

Reactions: blachow
#11 ·
For the street I'd say there is no need for a piggey back system or the rck3 system.

The power unlock code isn't bad. But also any tune you purchase wasnt developed on your bike is not going to be ideal, it might be pretty damn close,but won't be perfect. Each bike is going to have slight manufacturing discrepanies which will affect hp and performance. Also the rck3 only allows tuning to a certain amount and then only in certain rpm blocks.

With the PCV you can find tune down to 500rpms, and load multiple maps for the different types of gas.

There are significant dips between 7-8k and 11-12k rpms that you are able to tune out with a piggey back system.

#12 ·
I've had a PC and other fuel managers on several bikes, but always after installing a full exhaust systems. I find the fueling to be so good on the 2015 I can't imagine installing one just because, but I suppose it could provide some benefit. I would be hesitant to mess with timing for sure.

Reactions: TJC
#17 ·
. . . and then $300 for a dyno tune.
This is incredibly worth the money, regardless of the path you choose. All maps are generic; a good tune, custom to your bike and your preferences.

It is difficult to appreciate the value of a skilled tuner's work until you experience it on a bike or car you know well. I tune for rideability, smoothness, and the broadest/strongest torque curve rather than peak numbers. You get to enjoy the benefits of a good tune every time you get on the bike.

#19 ·
So basically it sounds like these things are unnecessary and generic unless you bring it to a professional tuner with a dyno. It's not as if this bike is lacking for anything as it is.

Reactions: bennymx
#20 ·
Although it's not mentioned much on the forums, there are a lot of riders that put on a full system, leave the O2 sensors connected, and just ride and let the bike adapt. I have personally ridden with 3 riders that have done just that - and the bikes run fine. Could they get more power or a better dyno curve? Probably, but they are happy. So you have choices.

#21 ·
I have a full Akra system on mine. Shorty can and stainless from the headers back. I thought I'd need a tune but haven't done one yet. At idle, she hunts for an idle rpm. down low I have slight surging and little power loss but mid to uptop is fine. I'm sure I could get some more out of it with a tune but since i primarily have been track riding, i have plenty of power and it's smooth so instead of spending $500 - 1k for a tune and dyno and all that, why not spend that on tires and track days?

#23 ·
Perhaps I will just return it before opening it up. I have a custom decat and a slip on pipe. The ECU adapted just fine to those. It does hunt for a stable idle speed when first started up in the am, but quickly finds it. Once that has been done, it's very smooth and strong. For my purposes, I may just be wasting money on a PC.

#25 ·
Excellent point. The bike, straight out of the box, is highly capable as well as remarkably adroit at adaptation. You do not need a tune to thoroughly enjoy it. Nor any other mods for that matter.

But if you for the mapping route, a custom tune is well worth the money.

#27 ·
So, please help me understand how this works. If I plug in the PC, it knows/senses which map to use automatically? Is it something that I should/could program?
Lastly, and thanks for your patience, is it worth a damn without getting a dyno tune?

#29 ·
No. You plug it in. Load a map from the PC website. They are listed for your brand, model and type of exhaust you have. They are not something you just want to load on and ride away and leave it. The whole point of putting the PCV on is to get the thing tuned at a dyno. If your not prepared to do that then don't bother. The amount of people who also install full systems then don't want to tune the bike to suit is silly. Do the job properly. If you spend $$$ on an exhaust why not tune the bike to actually gain something from all that money you just spent? Then we can go down the track of "its just for street riding" "do I really need more power".

#28 ·
No it doesn't just know what the bike is.

When I installed mine, I had to first update the firmware, then you could load one of the 2 different 1000rr maps from the pc web site-1.stock exhaust, 2. Full exhaust

I never ran mine with one of their maps and didn't even use it as a base when I had my bike tuned, so I can't answer your question about it being worth a damn without proper tuning.

What I do know is that you could use the money to do a couple of track days instead and probably get a lot more out of doing that.

#31 · (Edited)
Lots of historical discussion on this topic. Try searching "ECU adaptation" before you make a decision...For some, not having a fueling solution w/ a non catted full system is the end of the world. That camp claims the ECU will only adjust itself back to factory presets as a protective and emissions measure only, NOT adjust itself to maximize your mods and so damage *may* occur. To them, there is no point in doing one w/o the other. AAMOF, BMW themselves echo that same sentiment w/ both their HP exhausts.

Others, as you see, haven't had any problems with engine damage, just mild ridability issues and a less than perfect curve....IMO, do it right or leave it alone. I'm running the full HP Ti exhaust w/ cat on my 15 (no tune) and the curve isn't perfect so I could only imagine a full shorty or custom job not tuned.

#32 ·
Thanks to all. I learned quite a bit and ultimately, decided to return it as my decat pipe and slip on wouldn't qualify as either a stock exhaust, nor a full system. Then the dyno tuning part... from there, you can go on and on with all of the other power commander products, and knowing myself, there's no end to that road. Ultimately, I'm very content to enjoy what I have as it is.

#33 ·
People contemplating any changes to the ECU via flash or the BMW HP stuff have to know that their warranty is gone. Argue all you want on this, reality is the dealer CAN tell, and trust me, if you're looking for a new motor they will check. Personally I don't have anything against it, just know the implications of your decision.
I guess it's just another reason to leave the O2 sensors connected and let the bike adapt.

#34 ·
^ HP unlock code without RK3 won't void the warranty. At least what what my BMW techi told me when I asked him about full akra exhaust and just unlocking stock ECU HP race map.

#35 · (Edited)
Is that the same 'techie' who told you the 15 has a 118 link chain? Post his name and the dealership he works at so that other members can steer clear. But then again, if they truly are accepting liability on behalf of BMW for some jack ass high siding off a cliff or otherwise damaging the bike or themselves due to the reduced TC/ABS settings of the RACE ECU dataset (*13618522450), it may be the place to go.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...scussion/146658-hp-race-info.html#post1406850

You have to be referring to the NON RACE ECU dataset (*13618531006). Don't confuse people, there is a difference. You are not supposed to be able to use the RCK on US street legal ECUs anyway so of course it won't void the warranty for a street legal update, but that's not the "HP race map" it's the FSC for the 'sport' exhaust.

#37 ·
Is that the same 'techie' who told you the 15 has a 118 link chain? Post his name and the dealership he works at so that other members can steer clear. But then again, if they truly are accepting liability for some jack ass high siding off a cliff due to the reduced TC settings of the RACE ECU dataset (*13618522450) then it may be the place to go.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...scussion/146658-hp-race-info.html#post1406850

You have to be referring to the NON RACE ECU dataset (*13618531006). Don't confuse people, there is a difference. You are not supposed to be able to use the RCK on US street legal ECUs anyway so of course it won't void the warranty for a street legal update, but that's not the "HP race map" it's the FSC for the 'sport' exhaust.
You call San Jose BMW and ask them how many links 2015 chain has. Report back. While at it, call CalMoto in Mountain view BMW. I got the same answers.

While at it, ask them what I just said about HP unlock code on stock ECU. Again, racekit 3 is what voids the warranty, and have to sign a paper accepting that when activating it.

You're the one confusing people. bennymx is a bmw techie and he is saying the same thing I said.

#36 ·
I have the HP system with the enabling code. That does not void warranty. The HP4 comes with it standard and of course you get warranty with that. It's the RCK that voids it. Then you have the ability to stuff things right up if you have no clue what you are doing. They chuck that statement in there to let you know if something happens they may or may not cover you. BMW don't want bad publicity so depending on what happens to the bike they will help where they can. They don't just ignore you and want nothing to do with it.

As for not tuning the bike for a full system. You're kidding your self. You are missing the point. You wan't more power and a more free flowing bike. You need to do the job properly with a tune. Seems to me like people have enough money for an exhaust but try to skimp on the tune. It's just silly. If you can't afford to put fuel in it, sell it the saying goes. You can sit here and listen to all the guys who just fit the system and then the bike runs fine. In fact it runs very good! Yeah right...... wait til you get the thing tuned properly and then see how bad it was before. You think race teams are riding around on non tuned bikes? Where do you think this technology comes from? Racing is a testing and proving ground for customer developed street bikes. If the racers are doing it, good bet it's good for the street (not in everything). What's that you say? Your not a racer? Your not fast? You just ride to work? You only use 50% of the bike anyway? Doesn't matter. If that's your attitude why are you fitting a full system? Bike is more than capable from the factory.

Sick of threads on here with the same questions. Use the search feature. There a handful of people on here who actually have experience with this and know what they are on about. The rest are just confusing guys who don't know. We need a common theme here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.