BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Anyone get loopy?

6K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  sro 
#1 ·
So the past 2 years I've been noticing after riding for a few hours i get extremely loopy. I get plenty of sleep, eat a good breakfast, etc etc. I even tried taking adderall before i ride just to improve my focus. Even if i stop and take breaks, it comes back to haunt me within 15 minutes of hard riding on the track or street. Its a hard feeling to describe. i guess its like when your under some sort of g-force, or that feeling you get when you're going 180+ mph, its like that for me riding through the mountains or on the track after a few sessions. Its not to the point where it's unsafe; i hope it never gets that bad.

Does anyone else experience this when they ride for a long period of time? It's really slowing me down.

#8 · (Edited)
Two points:

1. SRO is right...(can't believe I'm saying that)...you need WATER

and...

2. Eating sweets is totally the wrong thing to do. You create an insulin spike that is exactly opposite what you need. I suggest you do some research into primal eating (The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series): Mark Sisson: 8580001040141: Amazon.com: Books). On a recent 150 mile canyon ride in the mountains, my lunch consisted of: An Epic Bison bar, a cheese stick, celery, carrots, olives, tomatoes, almond crackers, a banana...and a homemade almond/chocolate bar. During the ride I drank two liters of water.

Your diet is causing brain fog. Seriously.

#6 ·
I suspect dehydration first; poor food choice, second.

Try drinking a good 16 oz of water or more twenty minutes before you go out, accompanied by a snack of protein or a complex carbohydrate (I like Cliff bars). The best is a protein/fat combination such a peanut butter or cheese. Then be sure to drink again every hour or so, especially if it is hot out. Add good quality food/snack every two/three hours.

I suggest avoiding sweets/simple carbohydrates as this rapidly increases blood glucose, which spikes insulin, resulting in reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar crash). This is why I suggest something that takes a more work to digest over time.

A quick hit of sugar, like a soda, can help the loopy feeling go away - but you then just cycle again. Thus, I recommend a complex food snack and waiting a bit for it to get into your system rather than a sweet.

If this is a common issue for you, you may want to be checked for prediabetes.

#11 ·
I suggest avoiding sweets/simple carbohydrates as this rapidly increases blood glucose, which spikes insulin, resulting in reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar crash). This is why I suggest something that takes a more work to digest over time.
I would not consider Clif bar a quality snack nor low in simple sugars. It has over 23grams of sugar. It has soy and cane syrup.
If you want a quality protein bar check out quest bar. A quest bar costs three times as much as a clif bar but you get what you pay for. It's all protein and fiber.

For complex carbs I eat sweet potatoes, whole grain flat bread, quinoa, muesli, brown rice, etc...

If you want simple carbs, eat a fruit (stay away from juice). My quick go to meal before a ride/workout:

Pasteurized liquid egg whites (I use 1 cup, buy big containers), 4 tsb of Greek yogurt (get one with lower sugar, 6g per serving, at least 21g of protein per serving), 1 banana, milk or almond milk, peanut butter or cocoa powder (better than coco powder). This is all natural and has a good mix of key nutrients body needs.

Finally, stay away from sugary drinks, drink plenty of water. Get some caffeine during your ride. If you don't like tea/coffee. I sometime carry with me 100mg caffeine pills (order on amazon). They work well, I also use this same plan for working out. A cup of coffee has about 200mg, so you don't want too much, that's why I like the pills. Very helpful especially on the track, one pill before the first session, another one after lunch, all good to go.

If improving your diet does not help, you should go see a doctor.

#13 ·
I am generally riding following a long run, which isn't the optimal thing to do I know, but the group I ride with meet early Sunday mornings so I have to get it in then.

I have a protein shake (SAN Titanium Isolate - no fat or carbs, 5 OZ Dannon Greek yogurt, plenty of water), a banana, and a wheat grain bagel. Chase with plenty of water. No need for caffeine as the protein / carb delivery provides great recovery and long term energy.

I must say that it isn't a bad sign to get a little mentally drained as that means you are concentrating. Despite my concoction, I will get more than a little tired if I am learning a new route or step it up a little and improve my lean or form, etc.

It seems to me that if you aren't getting a little worn out, then you are not pushing yourself a little and are just on auto pilot, which isn't where I want to be. In my book it's a little dangerous, even.

Reactions: Elk and sro
#19 ·
A lot of good points here and I will add my own as well as I treat riding my motorcycle the same way I do riding my bicycle. Drinking water alone will not help you on hot and sweaty days. You need to intake some sodium as well (electrolytes as some call it). I personally stay away from Gatorade and all other sugary drinks because the amount of sugar in those drinks actually will have a negative effect.

I ride my bicycle for at least 2.5 hours at a time (50+ mile rides) and drink water and take salt tablets as well. Ive jumped on my motorcycle afterward and rode for the remainder half of the day without problems. I suggest when you're at the rest stop and buying some water, grab a few packets of salt from the condiment area and mix it with your water. May not taste great, but it will help.

Also, I make some sandwiches pre-ride that fit into the pockets of my jacket (I have them in ziploc bags of course). My sandwiches consist of peanut or almond butter, banana and honey.

#21 ·
A lot of good points here and I will add my own as well as I treat riding my motorcycle the same way I do riding my bicycle. Drinking water alone will not help you on hot and sweaty days. You need to intake some sodium as well (electrolytes as some call it). I personally stay away from Gatorade and all other sugary drinks because the amount of sugar in those drinks actually will have a negative effect.
Good point here as well... as soon as I get home after a ride, also approximately 2-3 hours, I will down a zero sugar PowerAde and typically add a scoop of BSN AminoX for good measure, expedite the recovery, and hopefully prevent any cramping. Another banana or two as well.

#20 ·
Might there b any post concussion issues here? Perhaps a crash or hit to the head in the last few years that might be contributing to symptoms? Sometimes at speed, all those things flying by you (lights etc), or even rapid changes in leaning might contribute to it. Just a thought.

#25 ·
There are so many good points to quote all you guys, funny ones as well (Arnold). Thanks for all your input, it definitely helps and as a matter of fact i started laying off sugars and high caffeine drinks recently ( monster extra strength especially ). I only weigh 145lbs so its not like i have to worry about weight gain, i can eat whatever i want and still manage to lose a pound or 2 in my sleep. lol. But i do need to get back on a good diet regimen. I workout daily and cycle 12-20 miles on the weekends. I did the Paleo diet last year and i never felt better in my entire life. I could definitely use more water; i should know these things since i was in the infantry (marines), not gonna lie, i kinda laughed when SRO said "drink water".

I usually ride up through the Cherohala Skyway to the dragon (300 mile round trip) every year for my birthday, in 2 weeks, so that will be a good test and ill let you guys know if your advice worked or if i actually have some sort of medical issue, haha. I rode up there Sunday and i was struggling on the way back home.

If any of you guys are close to Chattanooga or N. GA. You're more than welcome to join! Thanks again for all the advice!

#27 ·
Try a little cocaine, it seems to always help me regardless of riding or needing little extra boost durning my day! Haha. Only kidding. The biggest thing like everyone mentioned is hydration. World class athletes like runners start hydrating weeks before their events. If you start drinking the day of your to late. It's normal to get tired and feeling beat down to an extent. Just know your limits and take a break if need be. Always a good time to think or talk to other riders.

#29 ·
Would you define the feeling you get mentally as fatigue or drowsiness?
Lack of focus and concentration alone? Or is there a physical component where your body feels tired as well? If you feel drowsy, it may be due to poor sleep... you might think you get good sleep, but you may not be getting RESTORATIVE sleep... big difference. 8 hours is great, unless only 2 or 3 of them are actually restorative. Light sleepers report similar symptoms... just sayin... it's not always diet or exercise.

Just my 2 cents...

#30 ·
its definitely not drowsiness or tiredness, just lack of focus and concentration. I have to try extra hard at times to really focus on my next move. I usually don't sleep good the night before track days just due to excitement. The VA prescribed me sleeping meds but i try to avoid taking them just bc the risk. They really knock me out and I'm not a big fan of it. Next time i go on a long ride or track day i'll try that and get some good deep sleep; i've already started eating more and better recently and upping my water intake. I am a light sleeper most of the time, but thats just the marine in me haha, but when the sleeping meds come in, i could sleep through a tornado and wake up halfway across the country.

#31 ·
Okay, late to the thread... I'm 99% sure I've read 100% of the posts here and no one has asked this... Is your helmet too tight? I have one helmet that is great for rides of 1 hour or less. If I go longer without a break, it's not a good thing. Loopy? Maybe. Beginnings of a headache and wishing I were anywhere but on the bike? Yes. Another helmet. No issues. Food for thought. :wink2:

Reactions: lole00
#39 ·
This is a very realistic possibility, particularly if you notice it after a pretty demanding/exhilarating part of your ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.