Throttle spring is too heavy..what to do? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Throttle spring is too heavy..what to do?

I've been having an issue with my 2011 throttle for a while and read another post that shows the Crampbuster as an option. This thing is a device that clamps onto the throttle and helps keep the throttle in place while using less force.

I'm trying to find a permanent solution that isn't an add-on.

I find that when I go for a longer ride the throttle creeps....the spring wants to close the throttle forcing me to grip it tighter. As a result I'm getting the effect of the death grip on the throttle side. I always ride with a very light grip and minimal input on the clip ons but the strength of the throttle spring is forcing me to tighten more than I want to in order to keep the throttle open where I want it.

Would a set of more "grippy" grips help? Driven D3 or others?

Anyone out there have this problem and found a solution?
nwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've found after fixing the "clicking throttle," cables being too tight (happens on every RR I've personally touched) that the throttle got a lot more reasonable. It's so common in fact that I thought it was a normal characteristic of the S1K's throttle.. It's not.
2005 ZX10R
2002 Aprilia Mille
2007 CBR600RR (the gf's)
MilleR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have made a simple bracket to ease the tension on the spring.I have several prototypes being used,with excellent results,and the design is now finalised.I am preparing to make this bracket for anyone interested.Soon I will post more details and photo's showing the fitting process.
I brought this up in a previous thread but was let down by a local raceparts machine shop so have decided to make them myself.
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

IMO the throttle on my bike is easier to hold steady than on my 01 Gsxr 1000. I just kinda roll it into position and lay my hand on it and it holds pretty steady. On my gixxer, my speed would flucuate, not on the S1K however.
PrestonIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default That's a 12 for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIV View Post
IMO the throttle on my bike is easier to hold steady than on my 01 Gsxr 1000. I just kinda roll it into position and lay my hand on it and it holds pretty steady. On my gixxer, my speed would flucuate, not on the S1K however.
Yeah, the 2012's really are a world different from the older models. I got a chance to ride my buddy's 10' just the other day and I was pretty surprised with how much the throttle resisted.
NikyP00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerconvert View Post
I have made a simple bracket to ease the tension on the spring.I have several prototypes being used,with excellent results,and the design is now finalised.I am preparing to make this bracket for anyone interested.Soon I will post more details and photo's showing the fitting process.
I brought this up in a previous thread but was let down by a local raceparts machine shop so have decided to make them myself.
Let me know thx
Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not mechanically inclined so hopefully this can be fitted easily!

Would this be an issue retrofitting the bike in terms of potential side effects to the throttle assembly or other?

Definitely interested...when do you expect to have something?

Thanks!
nwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep i`ve done the same as you....it does help..

Very very easy to make...
3blueS1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwills View Post
I'm not mechanically inclined so hopefully this can be fitted easily!

Would this be an issue retrofitting the bike in terms of potential side effects to the throttle assembly or other?

Definitely interested...when do you expect to have something?

Thanks!
The hardest part is removing the airbox assembly.Fitting the bracket is then easy.No OE fittings are affected.

I am waiting for the aluminium to be machined then I can finish the brackets

We took photo's of a recent install which will be posted shortly
gixerconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

How much is this bracket..?? Im in uk drop me a pm,i personally dont find the throttle a problem but still interested in this mod...
2011 motor sport s1krr,puig dark screen,watson flush turn signals,hp levers,hp rearsets,pcv,k&n race filter with custom map,austin racing gp2 inconel and titanium exhaust system,sharkskinz belly pan and stock panels custom painted,r&g crash protection,gb racing engine covers,factory pro detent spring,symmetrical smoked headlight covers,pro suspension set up and one crazy rider..!!!!
BUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement