BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Yoshimura Case Saver vs GB Racing Engine Case

10K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  SaiyanMuscle 
#1 ·
Any one got any info and recommendations between the following Engine case savers?

Yoshimura Case Saver vs GB Racing Engine Case

The GB Seem very solid and twice the price.
The Yoshi though do have good reviews as well.

who has them on? which one is recommended? why?
Thanks

#2 ·
GB Racing all the way. Doesn't look like an add on, fits the bikes design better than yosi, just my opinion. eBay has the cheapest going rate for them I've found. Holds up just like designed in the event of a crash and has some left in it. Cheap and easy to replace. Can't beat them!

Attachments

#3 ·
Another vote for GB racing. They cover a good portions of parts to protect. Easy to replace. Buy on ebay.

Reactions: Slickaz
#5 ·
yeh great, it looks like the GB ones have a much better footprint on the engine and hence more protection, was just wondering how heavy they are.
Presume they are fairly easy to fit.

I will buy from eBay. Thanks for the input guys.

#9 ·
Well there on and I like them. They kinda make everything blend in. Sucks to lose all the bmw markings, but function over form on this one. Speaking of function I'm not sure I like how the bolts stick out. They look like they could be ripped out in a bad spill. Like I said hope to not find out.

My god the oem bolts are SOOOOO light. Hard to think you can shave any weight with ti bolts kits.

On to the pics. Any opinions?

Attachments

#11 ·
GB Racing, then R&G and Vortex with Yosh last. Hard metal and no slider.

#12 ·
Why have more gone with GB racing vs the RG racing? Just curious. I'd like to see some closer shots of the gab setup.

Youth and others like it look good, but not enough protection in my opinion:nerd:

#13 ·
#16 ·
Yoshi quality is a hit and miss so that means the company is inconsistent. Sometimes the Yoshimura is just pumping out stuff to sell that don't work well but covers that market so they can make money and that says a lot about the company.

i'm not saying all their stuff is bad but from experience their carbon stuff turns yellow and their sliders are crap. I only buy simple design stuff from them like FEs but engine cover i would rather get GB.

i like some of their designs but i question their R&D.

#17 ·
Love the GB Quality! I took a spill at Daytona this past March at about 80mph and all I did was order the left side engine casing and frame slider to replace them. When removing all the bolts, everything backed out perfectly straight and no leaking noticed. They're as solid as it gets without worrying much about weight addition.

I also like the look of the black around the motor. It dressed it up just right and looks attractive. The only downside i believe is that on the right side fairing, you have to drill out a small hole to fit the frame slider if you're riding with the OEM plastics. I wouldn't have it any other way though because I've heard other brands that make the No-Cut frame sliders brake off in a crash from being less ridgid due to additional angles. I've never experienced this firsthand though.

Unfortunately it's the only brand of protection I've had any experience with for this bike, so I can't give an opinion about any others.

#23 ·
was that your personal down Cycle.

i dont regret getting my RG case savers, just hope to never have to use them. they were very good quality when i got them. Light weight, shiny plastic, and seem very tough.

It did take 5 weeks to get them roughly. I ordered these back around july sometime.

I got the racing series because they have that little extra bit of plastic coming out in that nipple/dome style. just seems more material to protect/slide on.

p.s. I rode to work this morning, and I wore out my baby on the way here. so far no leaks I can see.

I did burn the **** out of my hand on the bottom side of the exhaust putting on my cover but thats for another thread:crying:

#25 ·
Nope haven't noticed any rubbing anywhere. Once the cover pulls itself close to the engine case it clears everywhere I've looked.

On the right side the timing cover plastic edge overlaps a oil side cover bolt and no problems there yet. I think you can see that in the pics. If not I can get a shot of that to show you.

So far a ride to work in the warp 7 range, bike sitting outside with a Nelson rig cover sat and Sunday, and a warp 7 ride back home and no oil leaks!!! I'm happy.

Some of the bolts feel like they could be tightened up, but my paranoia about stripping engine case holes is too strong. I'll keep checking them. I figure the rtv sealant on the threads should help hold them in........and stop any seeping

#26 ·
thought I was home free

well fellas quess I spoke to soon.

noticed yesterday I had some oil barely misting and seeping onto the top of the water pump. it was coming from the bottom of the clutch basket.

I had to pull both case covers off on the right side. checked around the actual engine case covers and didn't see any oil at the seams.

went out and bought an in lb torque wrench to make sure **** is properly tight. also bought yamabond 4 motorsport semi drying liquid gasket.

the bolts that I removed had left over rtv on them so cleaned them up as best as possible.

replaced everything and put yamabond on the bolts before putting them into their locations and tightened them down to 40inch lb.

crossing my fingers this seals it up. Not enough oil was dripping to form a drop it just looked like barely a mist after she was run.

wonder why it took at week later for the oil leak to develop. I'd hate to have to pull the entire engine cover off and reseal it. at that point prolly better to go to the dealer ship and let them take care of it.

any opinions?

#27 ·
just curious

does anybody know how long it takes yamabond to set up to were you can ride the bike?

I want to go to a bike meet tonight at SRVA, but the yamabond has only have had 4 hours to setup. I don't want this to leak again. Last time I only let the RTV setup for a couple hours then did a prolonged idle test just to check for leaks before heading out the next day to work?

hopefully someone has knowledge on this topic

#31 ·
Alright, all the R&G stuff has been installed. There was a great looking HP4 at the dealer too. After riding for about an hour or so in traffic, I haven't had any indication of any leaking from the new bolts.

They also changed out the shift rod linkage (see pic) under warranty. Apparently some of the teeth are wearing down a bit and causing it to slip.

Attachments

#32 ·
Old thread - but nothing been posted about case savers for a while.

I'm changing my HP4 to a track only bike. So I wanted full coverage on the cases. The R&G looked like they covered more, even though I have GB Racing on other bikes and like them. I had Yosh on the HP4 and had a low side on left side and they saved everything, so I was only changing to get more coverage.

Totally regret the R&Gs. They are cheap plastic and fairly thin. You have to assemble the "stubs" which come with thin rivets and collars. The sticker on the timing cover was upside down, and the washers look like some scrap nickel from Home Depot. I've had a bad leak on the right side cover over the oil fill case. The bolts are either a bit long, or the rivet thing doesn't bare down on the case properly. I've had to go way over spec on torque to try to seal up the leak. It still seeps once the bike is hot, and I don't want to be "that guy" that shuts down the track by dropping oil!

Very disappointed with them and I'll be replacing them with GB Racing covers. I did a simple scrape test on one (off the bike) and it rubbed all the way through with a simple scrape on asphalt for 10 yards at 20mph. It was laughable.

The engine case is more likely to save the cover....

#34 ·
sorry you had a rough time with the RG case savers. I also had a minuscule oil issue, couldnt even call it a drip, but It was resolved easily for me. I still have my RG covers on and have been lucky/skilled enough to not have to test them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.