BMW S1000RR Forum banner

This bike just keeps getting better

8K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  flyrider 
#1 ·
3800 miles on the '15 RR, and this machine keeps exceeding my expectations. OK...so some of my expectations were based on the 2014 HP4 Comp that had an "issue". Nevertheless, this '15 RR is getting better, and better, and better. For one thing, unlike the HP4, it uses NO oil. But that's a detail. On a 160 mile mountain canyon ride today, I just continued to marvel at the engine's smoothness, seamless power delivery and overall stability. New Diablo Supercorsa's don't hurt, either!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
agreed! Although my 2015 is burning a bit of oil....around 200cc per 1k miles, so needing to top up every 1.5-2k miles which i guess is fine?? Anyone else seeing similar with their 2015? Fly, i'm guessing you are using fully synthetic as opposed to semi correct? Cheers

#8 ·
Oh...no worries for you. My '14 HP4 Comp had a problem with oil usage. It gulped a quart of oil every 700 miles or so. I requested help from BMW on the problem, and while they weren't willing to say such use was abnormal, they offered an incentive (cash) toward a new bike on a trade, or a top-end teardown of the HP4 engine. I leaped on the trade, and am extremely happy I did. While the HP4 certainly has its good points, and my experience was an outlier, my '15 RR is even better...in every way.

But, again...my HP4 problem was a "one of a kind" issue. To this day, nobody knows what caused the usage problem, but the suspicion is a bad valve seal or something. Can't be pinned down unless it's torn down and inspected, which I certainly had no desire to do.

#10 ·
I love 2015 S1000RR. I test drove various bikes and s1k is the best all around bike to own. It's not perfect (heat, needs lighter wheels, dashboard, etc...) but it's close.

It has it all, 0 to 60mph in 2.5sec, it drops panties in 1.1 sec at 58 degree lean angle. What else to ask for? :laugh:

Reactions: torrentuser
#14 ·
Sorry, but we're not interested in you dropping your panties at a 58deg lean angle.....just sayin'..... :)

#13 · (Edited)
Thank you. I hope you get the good news!

It's a beautiful world. Yesterday's ride was pretty much "out of this world". When I hit the most interesting part of the canyon on the ride (total 160 miles) there was virtually NO vehicular traffic for mile after mile. Imagine having 50 miles of raging river and perfect asphalt with corner after corner, and no cars to impede your progress. Oh...and a perfect pre-Autumn day as well. And the perfect bike for the road.

Couple more photos from the ride...

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks, guys. I love this bike. In fact, when I had my HP4 Comp, I didn't go out to the garage to look at it as much as I do this one. All those years of being a blue-bike guy, and this red bike just floors me. And does it perform...wow. Really like the Akrapovic slip-on look, too...that OEM muffler...well, it just looked "wrong" to me. Add the tall tinted OEM screen, a Yosh fender eliminator and that's it...done, and happy.

Regarding the photo...all the enhancement was done later, with contrast enhancement, and color saturation. Really basic Windows Photo Gallery stuff...nothing "professional" at all. But thanks.

#20 ·
^ There is a 2015 RR cat eliminator pipe for $118. It requires cutting stock exhaust. I passed.

Cats are good for the environment. I decided to keep mine.

The only issue with the cats is heat, avoiding city traffic helps that a lot. I rode on the track all day on Fri, average heat temp was 185f.

#30 ·
Update: Closing in on 5000 miles now, and amazingly this bike is getting even better than before. Engine smoothness is beyond phenomenal and with a small DDC tweak (from -2 all around in SPORT mode to -3 all around), comfort is fantastic, while retaining full precision in cornering. I weigh 139 pounds "dry" and the little bit of extra softness is a nice improvement; something to think about if you're a lightweight like me (and Rossi...ha, ha!).

Yesterday I did 150 mountain/canyon miles, with a longish section of uphill and downhill 180 degree switchbacks (a very technical stretch of road), and it amazes me how this bike just swallows up those bits and powers out of them like a starship.

Fun bike, fun ride...getting better all the time. The new Supercorsa's made a huge difference...the old ones, with about 3500 miles on them, while having some good tread left, were getting sloppy in the turns.

Just an update for those with '15 RRs with low miles...prepare to be pleasantly surprised when you pass about 3500-4000 miles.

#33 ·
Hey, Chris...thanks. I've had the '13 RR, the '14 HP4 Comp (unfortunately it came with its own special issue and got traded for the '15 RR). I view the HP4 as a "test bed" or "beta test" bike for the advances incorporated in the '15 RR. Doesn't make it a "bad" bike at all...it's unique. But the '15 RR is in a league by itself, Yamaha notwithstanding.

#35 · (Edited)
Just added a fifth mod to the bike: Heli Bars. Prior mods: Tall tinted OEM windscreen, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Motovation weighted bar ends and Akropovic carbon fiber slip-on.

Just over 5,000 miles on the bike in 5 months, and the entire package is simply perfect. The engine is butter smooth, and the transmission matches it. With, or without, using the quick shifter, you can make seamless shifts on this bike. I've had the 2013 RR and the 2014 HP4, and those bikes are nowhere near as complete a package as this one.

Regarding the Heli Bars, I found a definite increase in comfort, but the surprising thing was the improvement in handling. Corners are far easier to analyze and execute, due to the vision improvement of a slightly more upright ergonomic, and due to the increased leverage of the bars. I had them installed today, and immediately went on a 75-mile mountain canyon ride, and rode it better than any of the prior rides I'd done on the bike. Tomorrow, I'll tackle a 150-mile mountain ride, probably, and give the "comfort" side of these bars a real trial.

I don't think there's a better commercial superbike on the market. The 2015 RR is the total package.

#36 ·
You are killing me @flyrider. I took delivery of my HP4 8/1/2014. From the time I drove it off the lot, it beat me to death. I instantly wondered why all the mags raved about this bike. The motor, incredible. The suspension broke in around 1500 miles. I had a local suspension guy make adjustments after. It is close. Not perfect yet.

My 2015 seems close to perfect off the showroom floor. Very close. The bike is far more comfortable all around. The HP4 is supposed to be the designated track bike. I have a feeling both bikes will be tracked. Hopefully the 2015 will be slower, when I get a chance to test them side by side. :wink2:

I hate the looks of the stock fishtail muffler. Can't wait to get the Akra slip on.

#37 · (Edited)
Did the 150-mile mountain/canyon ride today with the 2015 version of the RR Heli Bars.

Bottom line: I rode the route as aggressively as with the stock bars, perhaps a bit more aggressively, and found cornering lines easier to read and execute with the Heli Bars. I finished the ride significantly less fatigued, as well. The only "issue" I found was the necessity for re-developing postural muscle memory, after 5000+ miles on the stock bars. But that came relatively quickly, and I found myself very relaxed on the bike. I can't see any downside to the new bars, especially from a rider vision standpoint. A good mod, for me...

5250 miles on the bike and it's a smooth as butter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.