Tank & Tail bags for 2012 S1000RR - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tank & Tail bags for 2012 S1000RR

FYI. I picked up my new 2012 S1000RR almost two weeks ago. During this time I checked out both the OEM tank bag and the OEM tail bag. Before purchasing these, I took them out of their boxes and made sure they fit the 2012.

In the end I only bought the OEM tank bag. The OEM tail bag actually doesn't fit the 2012 correctly.

The BMW techs were surprised and worked with the tail bag for about 5 minutes. Then they went to the computer to look up the part, and behold... the computer shows that it fits the 2010-2011 S1000RR. There isn't a model out that specifies compatibility with the 2012.

Basically the bag sits on there like its going to be fine, but the tail bag has a semi-hard cutout for the exact shape of the rear tail seat. Well, in 2012 they changed the tail section a bit. The OEM tail bag doesn't fit snug to the 2012 seat. BMW themselves told me not to purchase the tail bag and that it could be dangerous.

On the other hand, the OEM tank bag is the bees knees. I love this thing. Yes, it doesn't hold much. Though, its super small and out of the way. I never ever notice it when I am on very spirited rides in my leathers. It's as if its not there. Its great to be able to put my water bottle in there, shades, phone, other keys, and a hat etc. There is zero chance this bag could scratch the tank because of the way it mounts. Very unique mount.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for someone out there.
ClrCreekRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bought a 2012 a couple months back and ordered tail pack with it. Now done 1000 miles and still waiting for bag. Dealer says BMWs supplier hasn't delivered yet. So there's one on the way but the 2010 / 2011 bag definitely doesn't fit.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

hello. this is what I just recently bought and though I had too cut a key hole it fits awesome and is well made. It also fits allot and doubles as a padded passenger seat. I dig it.

Amazon.com: The Cycle Guys CG2-06 FastPack Size 5 Tail Bag: Automotive
vcatalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I got the tank bag and was considering the tail
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2012 with the OEM tail bag and it works for me.

How did it not fit correctly when you tried it? I haven't had any issues with mine other than it slides forward slightly but that is a common problem with all models from what I have read.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Dionikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcatalina View Post
hello. this is what I just recently bought and though I had too cut a key hole it fits awesome and is well made. It also fits allot and doubles as a padded passenger seat. I dig it.

Amazon.com: The Cycle Guys CG2-06 FastPack Size 5 Tail Bag: Automotive
I have this too for my '11 and it fits great. Expanded, it holds a lot of stuff. I got a small combination padlock and feel safer when off the bike.
cesarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the 11 tail bag and a 2012 bike and don't think it works very well. The bag slides forward and gets annoying. It worked perfectly on the 2011 but not the 2012. I would wait or go with something else. It may be possible to reroute the straps to hold it back and I will try that but not sure its worth buying this one.
prev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

the sliding bag is a well-known problem. I ended up using a Triboseat cover to add more grip, but eventually I found that cinching the two forward straps too tightly ends up trying to pull the bag forward.

The problem was never really solved however. I'm wondering how to approach this issue when my 2012 arrives (still have my 2010 bag, along with my box of goodies
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

The sliding forward was always a problem for me. Add to that the bag isn't actually very big, and because of it's shape, once packed tight its hard to get anything out without pulling everything out.

I have a different solution

Ortlieb Waterproof Motor cycle rackpack

and

Rock straps, The utimate stretch straps

far, far easier.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Still looking for a solution.
ClrCreekRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement