BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Which carbon fiber to buy?

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ErockBoulder 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking to replace some fairings on my motosport colored 2015, the large upper side fairings and the front headlight fairings.

I am stuck between matte or glossy and between Bestem or Motocomposites. This is my daily commuter so I was told to go with glossy but the matte looks great as well.

Hoping on getting some clarity on here, thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Gloss gives more depth to the carbon but can be a bit much if the bike has the all carbon look. It's easier to touch up too. IMO when you accent the stock bodywork go with gloss. Go for a matt finish for the 100% carbon look

Full Six also makes some awesome carbon... but like Ilmberger it is pretty pricey.

#9 ·
Ilmberger is pricey, I want to replace my fairings just in case something happens so I'm not sure I want spend that much. I do see your point about glossy vs matte. My original idea is to switch out the side upper fairings, the front and the possibly the tail. I may have to go with a combination of both. Thanks

#13 · (Edited)
So i just wanted to give an update on my carbon build up and wanted to do a review. I don't work for any of the companies and I couldn't really find a helpful review except for "get this one cause its good". So hopefully my review will help others.

Why I got carbon fiber:
1. The bike was just a bit too shiny for me. I love the colors that I got but I definitely wanted a bit more black and that's why I went partially with the matte look.
2. Carbon fiber absorbs heat a lot better and stays cooler which feels much better on the legs.
3. Just in case I bail I don't want to pay $1k for a fairing.

Quality:
Fullsix - I ordered frame protectors, looked great on the outside but the inside was flaky. Not sure on the thickness in mm but it felt pretty thin, maybe they had to be that way. Luckily I got the wrong year so I returned them.
Moto composites - I got the matte tank carbon from them. Looks great on the outside and no flakes on the inside. It felt pretty thick and felt like good quality. All the tabs and connectors were also made from carbon fiber and my understanding is that it's made in the same factory as Ilmberger.
Bestem usa - I got the side fairings I glossy. The outside also looks great, the inside had minimal to almost no flakes. It wasn't as thick as Moto composites but maybe the side fairings are supposed to be thinner? The tabs and connectors were plastic and are glued on.

Company:
Support - I had an issue with all three companies where as something didn't fit or broke off. Both Moto composites and Bestem usa just asked for pictures and right away resolved the issue no questions asked. I assume that's because they make the carbon themselves. I bought the Fullsix threw a retailer and had to wait 3 weeks for a full refund.
Price - Both companies had very similar prices except for Bestem where the side fairings were $300 cheaper. I wondered why it was so low but essentially went with them because if I get any cracks or scratches it's much cheaper to replace and I got it in the first place to save my OEM fairings so why spend the extra $300.
Shipping/ Communication - Both Moto composites and Bestem had the quickest shipping, 3 days at most and Moto ships from Quebec Canada. Both had quick communication to my questions.

In all I went with them because of the communication, shipping, price and quality. They both have great warranties which was another factor and most of all they are both in North America so I don't have to deal with long waits and another language. I also suggest that when you decide buy some carbon fiber, call the company and ask for pictures of the inside.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.