BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2015 new rattle on startup

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Ajrothm 
#1 ·
Friday I went to the store around 10 pm and the bike just felt off. I could not say why or what but it felt strange. Yesterday on a cold start up I had an intense rattle for about 1 second. Today I had the same rattle. I'm gonna check it tomorrow and if the same noise is there the bike is going back to the dealer.

I'll record the start up as well for you guys to hear.

#2 ·
Not trying to make you paranoid but maybe you should just take it in and not tempt fate. For some reason I think I recall Macca's bike rattling before grenading?? Maybe PM him...

#6 ·
Only mods db killer removed and mototech tank pad no abnormal noises just started to run on 3 cylinders and seemed ok up to 4000 revs then losing power and running rough as hel limped to work no warning lights so assumed dead plug or coil got BMW assistance out as only 2900 kilometres guy didn't want to touch it as never worked on s1000 rr before so taken to nearest dealer plugs and coil ok but no compression on 1 cylinder took cam cover of to discover shim had jumped out causing cam to lose case hardening and shim had been chewed to hell and valve stick open his words it looked a right mess now waiting on BMW warranty response on what happens next

#7 ·
no mods aside from exhaust baffle and valve. The bike got the rattle after the 600 service. It never made a nosie before that. The day the start up rattle started i rode home from work very hard 45 miles. The next time i rode it it was acting up. I tried to get a video but you could not hear the noise.

Im gonna call them tomorrow for sure. I didnt pay full price plus for issues.

#8 ·
no mods aside from exhaust baffle and valve. The bike got the rattle after the 600 service. It never made a nosie before that. The day the start up rattle started i rode home from work very hard 45 miles. The next time i rode it it was acting up. I tried to get a video but you could not hear the noise.

Im gonna call them tomorrow for sure. I didnt pay full price plus for issues.

Good luck both Louisville and Indy dealerships are a headache

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
Ok BMW are replacing my engine seems the cam had worn either through oil starvation causing over heat and case hardening to wear out or case hardening wasn't done properly Both causing cam to wear enough for shim to jump out thus not closing valve properly just got to wait now for engine to arrive and be fitted n start again on the 1000k restricted revs (bollocks hadn't thought of that )gonna push for free service on that as well

#10 ·
Well congrats, and I would like to ask you, MikeM, and Macca, what are the production dates of your machines?
At the very least, the month and year stamped on your VIN plate?
MikeM, i hope yours doesn't become number 3 candidate on this forum for replacement, but if it does, it would seem to indicate an unfortunate trend.

#11 ·
Ok update time. I had called the bmw number to have them come pick it up but...I could not get the start up rattle to happen again. Since i 1st started this thread it has done it 2 more times at random. It is for sure a valve noise. Im sure ill get it to bmw soon but for now it is still home with me.

The noise at 3-4k is valve noise as well. Something needs to be done with this noise. I will be pushing the issue again soon. My stock rear tire is past gone so now is a good time to get it in the shop anyway.

#12 ·
At this point i think all the bad noise is in my head. I have 0 issues with the bike. The noise on startup was out of the norm for sure. Was i t bad or not is the question. I am going to keep riding it and just keep an eye out for trouble but i kinda think its fine.

#16 ·
No. The noise comes and goes for me. Sometimes itll do it everyday. Sometimes it wont do it for 2 weeks. Its gonna be hell getting bmw to actually hear the noise. Then a nightmare to get them to fix it. So nope not yet. After what all you said tho i think i might look into it again tho.

#17 ·
After looking at the design on the tensioner on the S1000RR, it doesn't appear to have a ratchet mechanism like suzukis....It just looks like a spring loaded plunger... I don't even see how its oil fed as there is no hose going to the tensioner...It must be fed internally through an oil passage to it or something.... Definitely looks like a cheesy design...

I may end up with an APE manual tensioner on it.... The only down side to those is the voo doo that is known as "proper adjustment"...

I have had one on my busa for about 9k miles with no issues...Hell I've never even readjusted it.

Since I've been really paying attention to cold starts on the S1000RR, I haven't heard the noise again since last week.. Very weird how it would come and go like that.

For as high tech as BMW is, you would think they would have something as simple as a chain tensioner pretty well figured out.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.