BMW S1000RR Forum banner

FoRRmer RR Owner

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  BIG O 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

Used to have a 2011 RR but sold it a few weeks ago. I will say that I loved the power and the uniqueness of the RR. I had originally purchased the RR as a stablemate to my 1198. I had been riding a ZX 14 that I bought new in 2008 as my daily rider. Sold it and got the RR. I thought that I would be comfortable with the RR as my daily rider. That just wasn't the case. It was just too uncomfortable for ME. I'm about 6'2" and 225 pounds. The RR kept making my hands go numb if I were slabbing it (and in my area that's about all there is). I tried heavier bar ends (HVMP) and even a "Crampbuster" with no success. I don't know if it was the seating position or the vibes or a combination of both that caused it. I couldn't ride the bike for more than 10 miles without being in pain. So, unfortunately it had to go.

I picked up this two weeks ago:

2012 BMW K 1300 S HP

I love it!

It is comparable to my ZX 14 in regards to horsepower and torque. It is actually more comfortable than my ZX was to ride. The seating position is even more relaxed. Has heated grips, quick shift, factory CF bits and some beautiful aluminum billet pegs and Akra TI exhaust.

I will say that it is a LOOOONG mofo! Wheelbase is about 64 inches so it isn't nearly as sharp handling as the RR it also weighs about 560 pounds. Then again, it isn't supposed to be an RR. It's taking me a bit to get the suspension sorted. It has the electronic suspension (EAS) where you only have 3 modes to choose from and the parameters are pre selected. The only adjustability that I have is rear preload. There is nothing for the front end. I've found to get it to tighten up for my riding style I have to adjust the rear preload to high and then the front is too soft. Very unbalanced. I'll have to fiddle with it some more. The telelever front suspension works fantastic when on the brakes. Especially coming into a corner. You can trailbrake so easily and not upset the front end a bit! It is rated at around 175 hp. Nowhere near the RR but still plenty to get me moving along. Especially when the tach gets over 6000 rpm. You look down and you are at 90 mph and don't even realize it! You think the RR is deceptively fast try this. The shaft drive is so smooth it's like your riding an e bike! It has linked ABS like the RR and is either "on" or "off". The brakes work really well for such a big bike. Almost missed a road and was going at warp speed. Got and the brakes heavy and no drama. Again, the telelever front end doing it's job. Hardly any nose dive.

Well, that's it in a nutshell.

I still check out the forum daily to see what's going on.

Although I'm not on an RR any longer I'm still part of the BMW family. So hopefully you guys will let me stick around.

Thanks,

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I sat on one of those last time I was at the Dealership and it is a big bike. Very comfortable for a bigger guy. Love the shaft drive and single-sided swing arm too. Throw some luggage on the back and that would be a great touring bike. I haven't had any issues with the RR so I ain't going anywhere but nice bike.

#7 ·
Yeah, I already bought a set of soft bags for it. Gonna have it's inaugural tour this weekend when I ride it to Indy for the Moto GP. Although it's only four hours from my house it ought to be a good shakedown run for longer distance slabbing.

And yes, it is a big bike.

Thanks,

Mike

#3 ·
Sorry to read that the RR did not work out for you. I'm much smaller than you 5'7" and somewhere around 140 lbs. Had a 2012 RR for 3 years no problems like you had. Have a 2015 that I ride only on the track - again no problems.

Have a 2014 KS - had a 2013 KS and a 2007 KS so I know the bike pretty good.

Yes it has a long wheelbase and weighs a good 100 lbs. more than the RR - has shaft drive and of course the suspension.

It is a great bike to ride up in the hills - other than really tight stuff - no worries of anyone leaving you behind - in fact if I want to play very few riders are passing me - unless of course they are a better rider than me and pretty much willing to ride at insane speeds on the street.

I get off my RR after a few track days and take my KS out and I am not disappointed in any regards - in fact the KS is way better on the street than either of my RR's.

#8 ·
Yep, that about sums it up.

The RR is a great bike when it's in its element.

There are also those that can use it as a daily rider and to actually sport tour on.

I'm just not that guy.

I will say that if I didn't have the Duc in the garage also I would seriously consider having the RR in it's place.

Thanks,

Mike

#11 ·
Hi Mike

Great choice! The RR will never be a very good street ride, that's not what it was designed to do, however people do put up with it on the street. The K13 is so different - even though it's heavier and longer it can still be hustled along at 90% of the RR pace - people have to ride one to really understand how different it really is. I've owned a K12S, a K13S and now have a K13R for the street. For me it makes so much more sense than the RR. The RR is the happiest and the most fun to ride on the track.

#16 ·
Hi Mike

Great choice! The RR will never be a very good street ride, that's not what it was designed to do, however people do put up with it on the street.
I guess I don't agree with your statement. I think that the RR is
a great street bike, though not a great touring bike.

I personally do not have the issues that the original poster had and
I've heard many riders who say that they just do not fit right on a
sport bike. That is why there are so many types of bikes out there
for one to ride and choose one that one can enjoy riding.

Different bikes for different folks and different bikes for different
purposes. But for me the S1000RR is a perfect street bike. :grin2:

#12 ·
Congrats! I have a 2013 30th Anniversary edition K1300S, which is the same as your bike (Carbon, Factory Akra pipe) except for the limited edition numbering.

Here are my mods so far that made the bike a little bit sportier without compromising comfort

1. Full Akrapovic exhaust (no cat) - even better sound, less weight and potentially more power (see below)
2. Custom Rexxer Tune - takes advantage of the better flowing full exhaust. Expect a 10-20 bhp gain at the rear wheels. My bike picked up 17hp at the wheel. I had it done at Redline performance in Yorktown, VA but I hear Brentune has a similar service for the K13S
3. Beech's 30MM riser plates - Best bang for the buck on this machine. Transforms the handling and makes turn-in much sharper and quicker. He's a contributing member over at I-bmw.com. Do a search over there and you'll find quite a bit of testimony to how good his product is.

#13 ·
Appreciate the responses guys.

Yes, it is going to be a great ST bike.

I am happy with the performance of the Akra slip on and don't plan on putting an entire system on it. The extra performance and weight loss might be nice but just not worth my money right now.

I'm happy with the seating position at the moment. Not looking to anything with the bars. However, I'll know more after this weekend as I plan to ride it to Indy for the Moto GP. It's about a four hour trip (one way) for me.

I've done a few small mods so far:

1. Shorty adjustable levers (Chinese knock offs)
2. Power Bronze Rear hugger
3. Tankslapper 3M laminate protection kit
4. A set of Cortech saddle and tail bags

That's really all I plan to do to this bike. It came from the factory with most of the things I would do to it already installed.

Thanks,

Mike

#15 ·
Glad you're enjoying it, hope you have many fun, and safe miles on it!

I've got to make do with one bike, so I'm trying to make the 'RR as comfy and capable as I can for the long rides I do. Hey, I made my '01 Gixxer 1000 work for 14+ years and 79k miles! :)

#17 ·
Not a statement, just an opinion. Having owned 4 S1000RRs and an equal number of K12/13s, being 6 foot 1, having put LOTS of miles on those bikes, I think I am entitled to my opinion. LOVE the S1000RR for the track though. Spend some time on a K13, you might be surprised.

#18 ·
Like you I have a little experience with RR's I've had two in the past 4 years.

I have also been on either a K1200S or K1300S since 2007. Bought the K1200S new in 07 then bought a 2013 K1300S in 13 and then a 2014 K1300S in 14.

Yes we all have opinions - and sure we can take a Honda Mini-Trail Z50 and ride it cross country - but it is not the correct bike for the job.

I'm in the camp of the RR really is not a great street bike - how much so - well so much my 2015 has only been on the track - my experience with the 15 over my 12 - night and day.

The bike runs hot - not noticeable on the track and in fact runs cooler because you are running higher speeds and you are not stopping.

The suspension is passable on the street but it is a suspension built for high speed and hard braking and performs much better on smooth pavement.

The ergonomics on this bike - well the bike fits me pretty darn good - I'm 5'7" 140 lbs. but again on the street because of the lower speeds - the stop and go - the body position takes its toll on most of us. At the track you are way too busy riding the track - you are never sitting bolt upright - in fact you are moving around so much the bike in fact is very comfortable.

Look I did 3 years on the street with my RR - I've said it time and time again - for me it was a love hate situation. Loved the bike hated riding on the street for all the above reasons plus the fact that I knew sooner or later I was going to jail - to ride this bike on the street at 50 mph's and drone on or ride it on the slab for miles and miles - the simple question always came into play - why - there are so many bikes that do all of this much better and still provide all the performance anyone could possibly need.

Just a question - I wonder how many of us(me included) originally bought their RR because they just had to have one of the baddest sport bikes on the planet - they don't use anywhere near the performance capability of the bike - but man it sure is an awesome bike and they pretty much can take anything on the street?

Just my opinion - for me - I've found much better motorcycles for the street - trust me it took me a long time to figure this all out.

#19 ·
Hmmm, how to put this.

The RR is a great bike when it is in the correct environment. Say,on a track or some nice twisty roads where you actually have to move around on the bike. However, if just slabbing highway miles not so much. Again, it is designed to be a SS and not a ST. I'm sure there are those that can and do tour on theirs but I just couldn't do it. Hence, the KS.

As for buying the RR to have the "latest and greatest", that wasn't necessarily the case in my instance. I was just looking for a counterpart to my 1198 and thought ANOTHER Super Sport would work. I will admit that I got the RR because it is pretty bad ass but I also wanted to try something different. I'm a Kawasaki guy but just didn't want to get a ZX 10. There are plenty of them around.

I believe body height, weight and conditioning also played a part in causing my issue. I'm 6'2" and 225 pounds. I believe the ergonomics of the RR put too much of my weight on my hands/palms which was a major factor in my numbness. I tried to use more of my core muscles to take the weight off of my hands but just couldn't do it for extended periods of time.

What is strange is that I don't have the hand numbing issue when I ride the Ducati. Don't know if it's the ergos or maybe the vibes/harmonics are different due to it being a v twin? I'm not saying I'd try to Sport Tour on it but I can easily ride it 50-100 miles (mostly slab) without any issues.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

If you can ST on the RR or don't have issues when slabbing extended miles then that's great!

I just couldn't.

In the end, both the RR and KS are great bikes. Just set up for two different purposes.

We should consider ourselves fortunate to have either of these bikes to choose from.

I know I do :wink2:

Mike

#20 ·
I understand completely what everyone is saying here. I used to own a K1200S, which was a fantastic street sport-touring machine with emphasis on the SPORT. Unfortunately, it was the first year model (2005) which was plagued with MANY teething issues. When the warranty ran out, I traded it because i wasn't going to foot the bill for expensive repairs. I then got a ZX-14, which was really surprisingly similar to the K12S in feel, minus the bells and whistles that the Beemer had, plus the ZX-14 was virtually bulletproof.

My lust for supersports however brought me to acquire an '09 Ducati 1198. Interestingly, after owning it for only about 6 months, I decided I could not take it anymore for similar reasons to why Mike sold his S1K. At the track or on twisty roads, the Ducati was magic. Something about the riding experience of that bike with the torquey V-Twin with the Termi pipes singing was very special, but around town or droning the highway was absolute misery. So, moving on, I actually traded the Duc and the ZX-14 on my new S1K last October in the hopes that I could make it a supersport that I could actually do some decent touring on, but still be able to tear up the track when I want. I've made a few comfort mods, and so far it is a far better streetbike for me than the Ducati was. Long term though, I fear I will have to give in to age and go back to a better all-around bike such as the K13S.

If I could have both in the garage and still have a happy marriage, I would. However, I don't see that happening. Plus, with small kids, I can't really justify it anyhow with the little amount of riding time I get as it is.

Mike (Big O) and I have joked about our similar history in bikes. Interesting that he couldn't tolerate the S1K, but is OK with the Ducati. I was just the opposite. I guess that's what makes us all just a bit different. That new K13 you've got there looks great. I hope you get many miles of smiles with it!!

#21 ·
The new bike looks awesome but too heavy for someone like me. Helibars made a huge difference when I put them on my Triumph Daytona 675 which is why I put them on my '15 RR. I find riding most conmfortable when I lean forward. Can't sit upright for too long.
If you do find the hand cramping issue to be a recurrent problem don't forget to be checked out for carpal tunnel syndrome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.