BMW S1000RR Forum banner

LiIon Battery Conflict with CAN Bus?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  SpaceBiker 
#1 ·
I inquired about installing a Shorai battery in my 2015 RR and he indicated that BMW has had recent issues with Lithium Ion batteries disrupting the CAN bus.

Has anyone had any experience with this or have first hand knowledge of the problem?

I have a Shorai battery in my 899 and it lightened the bike by around 6 lbs for roughly $139. I believe that the battery for the RR is the LFX19A4-BS12 and it runs around $180. Not an overly expensive way to drop a few pounds, extend the life and reliability of starting the bike, and nearly eliminate the need to throw the bike on a tender every couple of weeks...

Now that I have done my rearsets, levers, and exhaust. This is the next step.

#2 ·
I am unaware of issues with lithium batteries disrupting the CAN bus. If this is the case I hope someone can shed light on this.

There are issues with using the bus controlled 12V accessory socket to charge a battery. The charger must be CAN bus friendly. This can easily be avoided by connecting the charger directly to the battery.

As an aside, the 2015 is LIN bus. Just something to keep in mind if the specific issue is with CAN bus bikes. The 2015 may be different.

#3 ·
I'm a cheap bastard, I'll just buy Yuasa batteries at half the price. I hope there's no problems with simply installing aftermarket batteries.....

Reactions: van
#4 ·
I hear you re: the cost associated with the LiIon batteries... I wasn't a believer until I bought the Shorai during a group buy and now I can go a couple of rainy months without riding (catch the Texas flooding news a couple of months ago?) and then go out and start it without a hitch.

Also, folks pay $800 to buy an exhaust that drops 5 lbs and sounds good, but for a fraction of that, you can drop the same amount of weight and not worry about having enough CCA.

Thanks for the LIN vs CAN pointer. I read that there was a differentiation between the two, but the dealer said CAN when I mentioned that I thought BMW dropped the weight by putting one in as stock. I was bummed that I wouldn't be able to swap it out and make the bike less heavy. Probably speaking generically.

Only thing is that the battery size is similar to that as the Busa!

#8 ·
Yep, reminds me of the flash floods we had here a couple years ago. ;) Our favorite mountain roads are still trashed in some places, and will never be the same. Sorry to see you guys go thru that.

I have a battery tender, and the quick-release plug on my bike is so easy to get to I don't think twice about it for the months I have to store it in the winter. For me, the exhaust was to get it away from the bags I plan to mount, and I consider the weight reduction (and any slight power gain) a bonus. But, a full system will add HP/TQ, unlike a battery. Now, if that battery lasted a lot longer, I'd look at one, but my batteries typically last 4-5 years anyways, so.....

If it was a racebike, different story.

Hope you can get it to work ok!

#6 ·
Hmmm, didn't know they made batteries, have to check that, thanks!

#7 ·
I had a Shorai on my BMW K1200S and had no issues.. and it was a huge weight/handling difference because on that bike.. the battery sits where the ECU and air filter on the S1000RR is located, so higher up on the bike making it more top heavy. My CAN BUS never once indicated a fault.

#9 ·
I just ordered an EarthX ETX18F yesterday from RaceCrafters. I am looking forward to installing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.