Kickstand Nearly Fell Off - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kickstand Nearly Fell Off

Whoops! When I left this morning the kick stand felt a little loose but nothing I really thought about till I was moving. I'll check it out at the gas station. I put it down and I'm missing a bolt and the other is loose. You can also see that the wiring for the switch is a bit gummed up. Thoughts? Do I just get another bolt and tighten it back up and then electrical tape the wiring?

A new search with "side stand" gave me more results. I'm calling now to see if my 2011 needs replaced for recall or not.

Last edited by Anonymoustache; 05-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Anonymoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zug

This happened to me on my TLR as well. I just got a new bolt put some lock tight on it and it help up for years after that.

I did check it for about two months after each time I got on the bike to see if it was still holding on well enough.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Had the same problem last week
Will get a new switch together with cable (might be damaged).

Last edited by ManfredH; 05-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.
ManfredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
AK1

Just happened to my '12. I only have one...closest to the rear wheel. Looks like the parts fiche diagram says it's an M8x28 bolt that I need to find at home depot... 13mm head.

Also, are there any other major bolts to check?
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ooo....guess I'll go check the kickstand! I frequently do kickstand turns, so I wouldn't want this to happen mid turn
RRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
AK1

Yup, went to home depot this morning and got an M8x30 bolt (M8x28 wasn't available). 70 cents. Red tread lock and 10 minutes later, fixed.

Highly recommend everyone to check theirs. 13mm wrench required and do it when the bike is cold...
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Mine was loose also
Detlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlman View Post
Mine was loose also
My god I hope we start to send emails to bmw this is not what we expect from bmw starter switches fai.l loose bolts.rattly noise from loose nuts but can't find them .headlight switch problems engine bolts recalls this is to list just a few things in here and I've also had bad.switch too...bmw is going down hill fast this bike is full of bad bits come on bmw what's the crack here.......he bmw bike division certainly ain't like there cars....reliable...
super 1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

hey guys my first post here. i got a 2012 bluefire s1k and the kickstand completely fell off when riding! i took it to a dealer near me and they havent touched it for 3 days because they have to send pics to bmw first and see there response before they make repairs. they said they never had something like this happen. first bolt missing and second bolt stripped the threads in the frame. there acting like im the only one in the world with this problem. seems like it may be a real problem they havent gotten a response yet from bmw im missing out on these nice days
yelmazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I recall another thread sometime in the last week where someone took their bike to the dealer for a service, and their kickstand was loose as well.
PrestonIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement