Kickstand Nearly Fell Off - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

this just happend to me as well....im at the dragon right now and the front bolt fell out completely.

stand still works but that sucks...

this is no joke...check those bolts!
six2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Accident due to kickstand

Guys,
I had an accident because of this. Last Friday night I wanted to fix the loose kickstand(had a ride Saturday morning) and I couldnt get access to the bolt when its on my paddock stand(bursig type - motomfg), so I put it on the loose kickstand, it was loose, not fallen apart and went under there to tighten it.
Only one out of the 2 bolts was loose. Guess what happened next? I keep my hand there to feel the bolt and it comes off into my hands The threading on the bolt was all gone.

The bike was standing on the other bolt now, and the weight of the bike, slowly moved the whole kickstand forwards, and the bike crashed onto my chest, bruised my shoulders and neck very badly, the rear tire choked me.
Nobody at home except my mom, who couldn't even move the bike, so I squeezed myself out slowly. Guess what was the only thing in my favor? My frame slider didnt let the bike fall 100% on me, that was the gap I squeezed out through. Those were life savers.

Had to rush to ER, very bad pains, but Xrays confirmed no crackedbones and Doc said NO punctured lungs or anything - just very compressed ribs and no proper sleep since then. I am fine when Im standing and sitting, just if I lie down to sleep(weight on neck) it hurts really bad and cant lift myself up out of the bed. No riding since then obviously, any little stretch and the ribs hurt like crazy and so does the neck. Painkillers all day and night.

Everyone please loctite those things asap. And dont lube the kickstand ever IMO.
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
J40

was at the dealership a few weeks ago and some guy brought in his new S1000 because the sidestand was really loose..didn't realize this was an issue...checking mine out pronto
J40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Mine lost one bolt also but was at dealer when I noticed it and they fixed it right then and said they would look at all RR kickstand bolts in the future.
vegasbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Got mine fixed with original bolt now, Dealership told me they used loctite when putting it back on. Spoke to the mechanics and, according to their experience, this is the only thing they ever see coming off- they think its due to the vibrations.
I find the kickstand quite difficult to push down anyway while sitting on the bike (my Alpinestar Super tech R boots have heel sliders, so they cant catch the stand...)
Anyway, as some fellow riders here already suggested, loctite it yourself or have it done while under warranty or it might end up costly and very annoying (or in ER even).
Just to be clear: This doenst make this a lesser pleasure to ride
Sygna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #26 (permalink)

It hit me too. I had to go digging thru the few metric fasteners that I have to secure the stands mounting block. Plus a little LocTite.
Take your 13mm box wrench and give yours a good hard pull...keep those fasteners tight.

Mike

Last edited by Mike-; 10-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Mike- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

can't be the vibrations...never had an issue with my 2010 bike, which, with the early lightweight crankshaft, definitely vibrated more.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #28 (permalink)

Was ridding my S1000 from Fort Worth to Hill Country when mine came loose. Lost the front bolt made it to a Hotel for the night. Called the local BMW shop they never called me back, went to Home Depot and bought a new bolt lock washers and lock tight rode it around that weekend then back home no problems took it to the shop and they did the official BMW fix. Then rode it a few miles locally and set off on a trip to California last weekend. The bolt fell out on the last gas stop. So now it is in a dealership in California. Kind of frustrated that they didn't get it right the first time. I am telling them I want it safety wired, and they are acting like it is my fault at the dealership in Cali.
TravisLutter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

that's BS and a crap dealership. My dealership fixed it and was apologetic, and was glad to get the heads up to check the kickstands on all S1000RRs that come in.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

The dealership in Fort Worth was nice, the one in Long Beach Cal wasn't. Very frustrating!
TravisLutter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement