BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Lean angles wow!

61K views 166 replies 64 participants last post by  adouglas 
#1 ·
This was my first weekend on the S1000RR and I have about 300 miles on it so far. I tried to see what the max lean angles look like at my local canyons and I got 56 on the left and 54 on the right. Unbelievable... I can't imagine what this thing can do on slick tires... I remember this chart was put a while back and I found it for comparison.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
...I hope this doesn't become the equivalent of a "chicken strip" contest.....

#15 ·
Can you "cheat" the lean angle sensor and other questions

So, I (48 degrees so far in 500 miles) have a couple of questions, one of which I can test out this weekend with a couple of buddies:

1. Can you "cheat" the sensor, meaning (a) turn on the bike, (b) leave it standing still in neutral, and (c) with a couple of buddies just lean it over to each side until it shows, whatever, 60 degrees? Or does it have to be moving to register? Hmmm...

2. What does the slow/medium/fast option mean when you are turning on the lean angle display?

Of course, everyone, keep in mind that lean angle is not necessarily an indicator of absolute speed, whether on the track or on the street; some of us lean less, but set faster times than other dudes that are pressed way down to the ground. Weird, but proven.

#20 ·
In my experience, gyro rate lean angle measurements get screwy at very low speeds with handle bar inputs....like when you're maneuvering in a parking lot.

The BMW ECU may prevent this with some smart filtering. The AiM SoloDL that I use ('13 S1000RR) does not.

Here's a vid with what I think are pretty good lean angle values but clearly, there are momentary spikes in very low speed turns when a bit of handlebar input is made. FYI....Vimeo links in the iPhone forum app don't always work properly. Don't know why.

https://vimeo.com/123024601

#22 ·
Great video, Mfisher702, what a fun circuit. Too bad California Superbike School doesn't run there...

#41 ·
2" chicken strips?? Hell, that's the whole damn chicken! :)

#33 ·
First time at the track with the new bike :)
Steve, very nice. Couple of questions, what are your User mode settings, and what skin are you using on the bike for the track? I saw your other pictures and see you have track fairings, etc., wondering if they are 2015-specific, or do the old ones fit ok.

#44 ·
Resets when you turn the key off and back on again.. take pics before you turn that key off if you want to share wild lean angles

#52 ·
Of all the great features the new S1000RR has, the lean angle indicator is my least favorite - or useful- so far. Yesterday I took the bike to her first track day. Many older-model S1000RR riders (I counted 6 other RRs on track out of about 30 total riders!) commented on the extra power, coming out of the chicane behind me, on to the back straight, I was gone. No-one theorized the RIDER could be coming out of the chicane better than they were, mind you, but they all were awed by the bike.
The lean angle indicator was spotty (I have it on Medium refresh speed). Sometimes displaying 49 degrees left (track's big turns are mainly lefties), then the next time much less, when I knew the lap times/turn-ins/attitude felt the same.
So... if those are the lean angles the TC computer is using to determine how much juice to allow you to send to the rear tire, I guess there must be other elements to that algorithm, as the TC does work pretty damn flawlessly, and the angle indicator seems not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.