Fault VDS - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Fault VDS

I just installed a PC V loaded the map took it out to ride it and the bike shut off giving me a VDS ! Code. Anyone have an idea what this is.
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Drop Sensor... the bike thinks your bike has been on its side...

Cycle the on/off switch, then try and start it. OR pull the seat and see if the drop sensor has snuck out its perch and is laying sideways.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Drop Sensor... the bike thinks your bike has been on its side...

Cycle the on/off switch, then try and start it. OR pull the seat and see if the drop sensor has snuck out its perch and is laying sideways.

Yes I tried cycling it off and on and it keeps coming up but I will check the perch in the am and report back. BTW thanks for the info
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

If that doesn't work, could be a faulty Drop Sensor... dealer would have to check that out.

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You could also try kill switch off then on again, but this is Vertical Drop Sensor warning, so it's either unplugged or not vertical I would guess.

Last edited by skapan; 12-31-2011 at 08:15 AM.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
If that doesn't work, could be a faulty Drop Sensor... dealer would have to check that out.
OR... you might be able to take a amp meter and check the sensor on your own... my guess is it's an open or closed circuit and tipping it one way or the other will either close it or open it.

Not 100% that'll work, but worth a shot.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

It was out of the bracket. I must have knocked it out putting the tank back. I put it back in and it runs like a champ. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

I just tried to start my '10 s1k yesterday, it turned over, then stopped, and showed that VDS! error. i checked the sensor, and it was still in the proper cradle. I thought maybe the battery was low or something, charged it, still wouldn't start. I see someone else on the forum had this problem with a blown fuse. The #2 4A Cutoff Relay, diagnosis plug fuse. I checked, and all fuses are fine though. only electrical thing i've done was installed a V1, and that was right after i got the bike, so that's not a recent change.

I'm trying to avoid waiting here for the road side service to pick it up and take it 5 miles to the dealer for them to check it out if i can fix myself. i just hate to spend $140 for a new sensor for a warrantied bike, especially if that's not it.

anyone have one of those caps that came from the factory that shorted out that sensor plug they might sell so i could try to maybe confirm it's the sensor or find anything else i might try? i notice when i unplug the sensor from the plug, the time and range show up on the dash too, plug it back in, and just VDS!.

any other ideas??

Axe, author of "Bouncing off Guardrails"
www.ychrome.com (book, "Sick S1K" S1000 T-shirts, and S1000RR accessory/radar mount)
facebook, youtube
verrucktaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sensor is "retrofitted" to the bike's ECU. Or it should be. Shouldn't run without it plugged in (that is if you put the original cap on the plug).
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Garage

#(%&*, that's right. guess i'll be calling roadside service Monday. If i knew it was just the sensor for sure, i'd probably just go bite it and buy one so i can take it to Austin Friday... grr...

Axe, author of "Bouncing off Guardrails"
www.ychrome.com (book, "Sick S1K" S1000 T-shirts, and S1000RR accessory/radar mount)
facebook, youtube
verrucktaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement